Symptoms after a suberachnoid brain haemorhage

Hi I had s b h  almost nine years ago and the last couple of months im  struggling when going to bed and putting my head on the pillow. waking in the night with a terrible weird aching sensation at the left bottom side of my head.

It feels like my head is being squeezed really hard. I toss and turn trying to get comfy with it and it's every night now. I've changed pillows but it's still happening, is this normal ?

Hello Pat, 

First of all congratulations on almost nine years post SAH. It is a new normal for most of us and there are times of new symptoms. It is always good to check with your neurologist if you are having new problems. You may need an updated MRI and include scans of the left bottom side of your head. 

You may read in posts that changes in barometric pressure sometimes triggers headaches. This is true for me.  

I had hydrocephalus following my SAH and it seemed that the only way I could sleep well was using a large triangle elevation pillow that would prop my upper body up. I could not lay flat even with a pillow without suffering headaches and similar pain on the bottom left side of my head. I am four years from SAH. I had to sleep this way for the first couple years. I am normally a stomach and side sleeper so it was difficult to adjust to this position to sleep, but I eventually did. I found placing a pillow under my knees helped keep me from sliding down during the night. 

I don’t want to alarm you. But,  post SAH scans revealed I have blood clots (not related to my bleed). They are stable and continue to be so with follow-up scans. I was only on a blood thinner Eliquis for 3 months and it was advised not to be on it long term do to my recent SAH history. The clots are located on the left lower side of my head ~ left transverse and sigmoid sinus thrombosis. I have sharp pain in my left internal jugular vein when I yawn big or with some sudden head movements. I have to think “relax” and not move and it goes away. I was told it was because the passage is more narrow. I am on blood pressure medication. 

in general, besides ongoing fatigue and short term memory problems I live a full life. We have four adult children (lovely spouses) and six grandchildren. We adopted (now 12) and foster another (niece 19) special needs children now. I did have to retire early from teaching which I miss ~ but, I was close to retirement age. My dear husband is still working. My faith and family keep me going. 

Best wishes to you. I hope you are able to have relief from your aching sensation during sleep and find the answers to its cause. I have learned that sleep deprivation causes all sorts of physical and emotional problems. That is one of my priorities now ~ getting enough rest. This requires short naps most days. 

Take care.

Kathy (in Colorado)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Pat,

I am hoping that you have arranged to visit your physician about this problem by the time you read this.  We can all tell you of our personal experiences, but we cannot diagnose anyone else's symptoms. 

For example, while Kathy explained her own diagnosis for a head pain, I can tell you that problems with my cervical spine have created some interesting sensations for me.  My pillows have to be just right and I need a slight incline these days to sleep at all.  The long and short of it is that anything that bothers you or scares you deserves professional advisement.

Best wishes,

Colleen

• Like 1

Hey Pat,

Thank you for posting this. I have been looking all over the place trying to get information about symptoms that appear after a SAH. Since I am in a similar situation I am sorry I don't have info for your specific question.I had my SAH on May 28th 2020, and when released after 3 weeks in Neurological ICU I didn't have any lasting effects aside from a mild constant headache. 

However in the last few months I have noticed that I am having trouble with short term memory, excessive fatigue, increased migraines, nausea, and quite a bit of head pressure. So I am trying to coordinate with my mom (she is the babysitter for my 7yr old) to make an appointment to see my doctor. Not sure yet if I should see my regular neurologist or my neurosurgeon. 

Anyone else relate to all of this stuff showing up years after your SAH??

Thank you.

• Like 1

Good evening Malanamm,

The symptoms you describe are all quite common following SAH and can last for years.  I am 13+ years on from my ruptured aneurysm and still experience issues from time to time.  I would think about what other things may be going on in your life that may coincide with the headaches, memory problems, fatigue etc.

For me, any stress is a big trigger.  Also, do see your doctor for evaluation.  Perhaps the neurologist may be able to run some tests or scans and then send you to the neurosurgeon if need be.  Hopefully they coordinate with each other.

Best wishes for getting this figured out.  In the meantime, rest, relax, drink lots of water and eat healthy foods.

Take care,

Colleen

• Like 2