Hi to all im Dougie........

Guest Braveheart

Guest Braveheart

Hi All,

I am Dougie and I am a 52 year old male from Edinburgh. On New Years Eve I noticed I was having problems with my shirt buttons and later had some problems with slurred speech (although I put that down to too many shandies!!) After a couple of weeks it still wasnt any better so went to GP, he did a couple of checks and said not to worry. I went back another 2 weeks later and he said he still was not sure but he would refer me anyway.

2 weeks later I got a cancellation at hospital and received an ECG ( I had a bypass in 2002) a CT scan, ultrasound and a chest xray. He called me that night to say he found no abnormalities and prescribed a blood thinning tablet. My speech was ok that day so never referred me for therapy. I have intermittent speech slurring and I do presentations so the speech thing is really getting me down. I am still very active and go to the gym 3/4 times a week.

It would be nice to hear from everyone and if anyone is in Scotland a coffee and a chat would be nice......

Hi Dougie

Welcome to the site.

Sorry I am unable to help with the symptoms you have been experiencing. I can only suggest that you make contact with the hospital who completed your CT scan, via PALS (Patient Advisory Liaison Service) and try to get a second opinion? (Although I don't know how easy it is to get a second opinion).

I can imagine it is difficult for you, not getting a diagnosis of some description, and if you are still experiencing symptoms now then you need to keep on at the medical profession to get to the bottom of it.

Take care

Kel x

Hi Dougie, and welcome to the site, I too am unable to give you any advice on your problem, but can only echoe what Karen wrote if your'e worried keep on at your gp, and i think i'm right in saying that under NHS rules if you are not happy with the diagnosis it is everyones right to ask for a second opinion and they are obliged to get you one. Best wishes Rod

Edited by rod123

Hi and welcome. As a medical secretary I would agree that you should be able to push your GP for referral so that you can find out what is wrong. The fact that you've been prescribed blood thinning tablets makes me think they could suspect TIAs but it would be nice to know, right? (remember, I'm not a doctor, I'm just voicing an opinion!)

Take care.

Guest Braveheart

Thank you all! I will keep you posted with my progress. I have been referred back to the hospital for speech therapy and physio,

Dougie

Hi Dougie,

A warm welcome to this site, I'm sure you will find it very friendly and helpful. It's good to hear you have been referred back - hopefully the speech therapy and physio will help. It's no wonder it got you down, especially if you rely on your speech for your work in the way that you do. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Sarah