SAH - Positive Stories needed!

Hi all

7 weeks ago my wife had an elective removal of her AVM at Newcastle General. The procedure was due to last a total of 9 hours, but it lasted a 15 all together due to the fact she had a SAH during the operation. The SAH was in the right side of her brain.

After the op she was moved onto ICU, where she stayed under anaesthetic for a further 24 hours. When she woke up it was discovered that there was no left sided movement.

Fast forwarding 7 weeks she has been discharged from the hospital and is now in Walkergate Park Neuro Rehab in Newcastle, we have been told she will be in there for at least six months.

She is unable to walk, or use her left hand / arm. The physios are confident that she will leave the hospital walking, and to have some use of her hand – but to what extent they will not commit too.

She has taken this last 7 weeks remarkably positive, but on certain days she does have her frustrations and doubts whether she will ever be ‘normal’ again.

It would be great if anyone could share any inspirational stories with me that I could relay to her, in order to let her know that others have had a similar weakness and have made a good recovery. Anything would help!!!!

Thanks

Alan

We've met before on the Brain and Spine Foundation! Glad you've found this site. It has helped me massively.

You will probably receive lots messages over the next few days. (It may be a bit quiet tonight however, because we're probably all preparing for bed now- despite being insomniacs!)

Just want to say welcome. You and your wife will find good support here.

Lynne

We've met before on the Brain and Spine Foundation! Glad you've found this site. It has helped me massively.

You will probably receive lots messages over the next few days. (It may be a bit quiet tonight however, because we're probably all preparing for bed now- despite being insomniacs!)

Just want to say welcome. You and your wife will find good support here.

Lynne

Hi Lynne

Thanks for your updates, and thanks also for pointing me in the direction of this site.

I already have my doubts that Erins movement in her left hand side will be as fluid as it was prior to her SAH - and I have already noticed that she seems a touch more forgetful, certainly remebering things people have told her.

She is also experiencing a muffled sound in her ear since the SAH - which is different to the wooshing noise she used to have which was a side effect of the AVM. She is going to mention the noise to the Dr in the rehab unit.

I will pass on your regards.

Many Thanks

Alan

Hello Alan,

I was just reading the posts on the brain and spine site too. Lynne said it all perfectly in her reply there. Memory issues and tiredness do seem to be the main two things we all have in common for a lengthy time after SAH. We all tend to agree that life in general is lived at a slower pace. Am sure we were all headless chickens at one time. 7 weeks is such a short time. I didn't personally have problems with my limbs but It's guaranteed someone on here will be able to help you with advice on that. Meantime I hope Erin continues to improve in the coming months. Wishing you both all the best.

Sally x

Hi Alan,

A warm welcome to you!

I don't know too much about AVM's, but I know how difficult it must be, to decide upon having treatment .... but, 7 weeks in terms of a SAH is early days into recovery. It sounds as though Erin is doing really well.

I don't think that the medics really know what the outcome will be, when it comes to the brain and many of us are told that recovery happens within a 3 - 6 month period. Well, I'm five years on and am still experiencing recovery ..... it's not been as fast as I would have liked, but consistent with hard work....I like to think that my recovery is a positive one ... :-D

My short term memory is still the pits, but you learn coping strategies ... my left side is still weak where I stroked, but I can do enough to get me by. The fatigue is something that still plagues me, but I now know my limits and have adapted to life as it is now.

Frustration is something that we all experience ..... even many years on, if I'm to be honest, but this is normally just a blip for a few days and I can still look forward to better things.

I still have a whooshing sound in my left ear, but have been told that I've got a small bulge in the opposite artery to my aneurysm, so that may explain things. Would advise to mention this to the Doc.

Wishing you both, the very best of luck ... life does get better and try to keep Erin as positive as possible, with realistic thoughts of coming home .... she'll get there, I'm sure.

xx

Hi Alan,

5 months ago my husband suffered a SAH which left him with left sided paralysis. He has spent the last 6 weeks in the Haywood Hospital Rehab Ward in Stoke and he has come on so much. He can now lift his left leg and can stand with assistance although he cannot yet walk. Unfortunately, he still has no movement in his left arm We are expecting him to come home around Nov time but they have said he will most probably still be in a wheelchair when he does come home. I have hopes that he will walk again but he has very severe weakness in his left side so only time will tell. His arm doesn't look as positive.

Not the inspirational story you wanted to hear but just so you know you are not in this alone and feel free to message me at any time - it is very hard on us (the partners) although Richard thinks I have spent the last 5 months going out partying not looking after the 2 kids, the house, going to work, etc.

Take Care

Zoe

Hello

Just sending you and your wife some well wishes and hoping that things are stable at present.

In terms of whether we consider our stories 'successful' depends upon our frames of mind. Speaking for myself (and I know others,) there have been occasions when we've considered our circumstances negatively. There have been moments when I've wanted my old life back immediately and anything short of that is a 'failure'.

I now view things differently and compare my progress post SAH instead of comparing myself with the old me. I will probably never be exactly the same as before; but that's not all bad. I'm more empathic and appreciative of the important things in life and I now laugh at the silly little things that would trouble me.

I don't know whether you've read other threads here. Ash is a recent member who is going through a similar event as you, but with his Mother.

We're all approachable on this site and if you need specific advice from any of us, just ask.

The recovery is long and slow; but accepting that was part of the battle for me.

Lynne