Hi, I'm Deb

debstir

I had my Idiopathic (unknown cause) Subarachnoid Haemorrhage on April 9, 2011. I was teaching an RPM (studio cycling) class at the time-and had (up until then), been an extremely healthy and fit individual (I turned 53 this month and have been an instructor for 16 years). I remained conscious through the experience, had someone drive me to the closest ER where a CT scan revealed a contained bleed. They ambulanced me to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where I spent the next 10 days. I underwent two cerebral angiograms, both with no findings (no aneurisms). I was released home on the 19th, with very few instructions other than to 'take it very easy'.

I realise how lucky I am to have suffered no apparent neurological or cognitive impairment, but at the same time I'm struggling with where I go from here. I see the neurosurgeon again in 4 weeks, and he wants an MRI in 6-8 weeks. I've read up on the internet and understand that my current fatigue, and mild headaches are pretty par for the course, but wanted to connect with a group like this to hear more stories like mine.

I'm pretty in tune with my body, and sofar I'm listening to all the signals (I'm resting lots!)...but as an OCD, hyperactive individual, I *know* that as I start feeling better I'm going to be tempted to push the envelope...

Looking forward to hearing from anyone...

Deb

Edited by Karen
To add - meaning of Idiopathic - Unknown Cause

Hello,

Welcome to BTG.

I have not heard of the term ‘idiopathic SH.’ I’m not very well informed with regards to the medical side of things. I know I had a SAH, but I do not know which type. Regardless of that, I am sure that there will be common threads with our recoveries.

My SAH was in November 2009, so I’m more familiar with my day to day life post SAH than what I was at the beginning. I do remember the start of my recovery to be a very frightening time and I had no idea why I felt the way I did. Unfortunately, I found BTG quite late in the day in July 2010 and I fumbled around, getting things wrong for many months.

I too was fit and healthy. I ran marathons and trained in the gym very regularly. I believed I was invincible and ran the Berlin Marathon in 2009, eight weeks before my SAH. I worked full time too.

To say that you’re in the early stages of your recovery is an understatement. Things are still healing with you. With your fitness background, you will appreciate how important it is to rest an injury. It’s the same with the brain. It needs to be free of as much stress as possible and it is going to function better in the long term if you give it the rest it is crying out for now.

It is sometimes easier to break problems down to manageable sections. Instead of thinking about where you go from here and worrying about the future in general terms; use your appointment with the neuro surgeon in four weeks as your first milestone.

Realistically, there is nothing you can do in four weeks other than rest, so just take that time to give yourself the best foundation stone to build yourself up again.

The time for progressing and pushing yourself (within limits,) will come, but it is not quite yet. I think a lot of good will come if you completely rest for the next four weeks and then chat with your neuro surgeon about how you manage the time after that.

Take care and hope to chat soon.

Hi Deb,

Keep smiling no matter what life throws your way...

I had an SAH end of July 2009...then got ventriculitis followed by Sepsis......my name isn't Lucky lol........ 2009 until Sept 2010 I don't remember much thank goodness ...

I had shunt fitted late August and Sept 2010 and a week later I was talking with my hubby and daughter...My hubby says he wants shunt op reversed as I don't stop talking...Cheek!!!! but true....

I cant walk very far but I am alive and happy so keep smiling and don't let life get you down....

You are alive and try not to panic when head hurts....if worried ALWAYS see Doctor.....

Be Well

Regards

Winb

Hi Deb and welcome to the site!

I haven't heard the term 'idiopathic' either so I'll google it and see what that means. I had a NASAH too. A nonanuerysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage, perimesencephalic. Mine was on November 10th 2010. I'm 46 and healthy, no smoking, rarely drink, eat well, moderate excercise, and not overweight. What a shock when I was struck down by this! Everyone around me was shocked.

There is some good info in the threads under perimesencephalic NASAH's here at BTG. One of our members, Surfer34 has posted some links showing statistics and information about NASAHs.

The one thing that seems to be common in us is that we are overachievers and 'type A'. I don't think that will be true in every case but it does seem to be common and my neurologist agreed. So I think my head exploded from stress but that's just my opinion! 5 months on and I'm really trying to see the world differently. I'm learning to move slower.

I tried to return to work too early and made myself worse. Everyone here will tell you to rest and go slowly. They mean it. I thought I was different because I didn't have an anuerysm or surgery. I went back to work too soon and developed all kinds of symptoms as my brain gradually pushed me into rest and slowing down. Listen to your body and take the time you need to heal. We are all different so no one can tell you how long it will take. When your body hurts, you have blurry vision, or tightness in your head that means it's time to rest and have quiet.

The neurologist explained to my husband and I that the blood in the subarachnoid layer mixes with cerebral fluid and creates a toxin that irritates the brain and causes all the symptoms. The blood has to move out of the brain and that takes time.

Sandi K. Xo

Thanks Sandi, Lin-lin and Winb. I'm glad I found this site as soon as I did. I've been listening to my *physical* body and not doing too much that way, but I've probably overdone the mental side with my time on the computer. I'm a volunteer for SAFE (Saving Animals From Euthanasia), and I'm on a team that maintains their main website (in Karratha). When I felt/knew I couldn't MOVE much, I fell back on the web work to keep me engaged/entertained/occupied. Didn't realise that it too, could fatigue me. I'm realising that now as I feel correlations between too much time on the net, with the headaches...funny how sometimes things SO obvious take a while to sink in.

In any case, looking forward to checking here for updates...and thanks for the support.

Deb

G'day Deb

A warm welcome to the site. You were in same hosptial as me, and sounds like you had the same things i had there. Who is your Neruo Doc? Write down all your questions and any your husband has for your follow up appointment as i wish i did. Because when you are in the room and they show you your MRI scan and tell you all is well, your so glad all your questions go out of the window. Then you come home with no information and you feel lost.

No need to feel lost as i am in the same city and i am 10 months on, so any questions and if you would like to met up for a chat that would e great. I've PM you already without reading this thread, so most of my questions have been answered, sorry:lol:

Take care and speck soon Rhiann xx