Sneezing and runny nose all the time

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has found that since having SAH they are sneezing alot more and have a runny nose pretty much all day.

I have noticed this since a couple of months after the op, at first I just thought I had a winter cold starting. It feels exactly like I'm coming down with a cold but never do. When I blow my nose my left ear always crackles alot, it's the left side I was operated on. It's like this all day every day.I don't have sinus pain. It's not hayfever, I've not changed any cleaning products at home, no new pets either.

I know I should mention it to my doc but keep forgetting when I'm there talking about more important things and I sometimes feel is it just me worrying too much. I never had this before SAH and wondered if anyone else has this too??

SarahLou Xx

Hi Karen, thank you for the link, I've had a look, yes that could be possible.

Seeing as I've got to see my gp about the hernia diagnosed today I shall mention this too. I just feel so awful that there's always something wrong! I also wondered if this could have anything to do with the tinnitus I get?? Maybe I should mention it at my next ENT appointment.

Thanks again for advise given.

SarahLou Xx

SarahLou, sorry to here about your latest news re: hernia ... life doesn't seem fair some times. As for the tinnitus, I've had it for 6 years posts SAH, but it's got better and I also suffer from what's termed as pulsatile tinnitus. If you do a search on here, then you will find that quite a few of us, suffer the same. I believe that it can happen after a SAH/Stroke.

I always write a list of my questions down before I go to the Doc's and then I just hand over the list and he deals with each one .... don't be worried about doing the same... in the early recovery years, you're bound to have quite a few questions to ask, so never feel worried about asking them. xx

Hi Karen, wow you've had tinnitus for 6 yrs post SAH, here was me on the faint glimmer of hope this won't be permanent! I also get a whooshing, pulse type noise in my right ear. Neuro have checked, listened to my head with a stethoscope for any 'unusual' sounds but they said it all seemed ok.

Yes I will do a list for my gp, I'll have a few things to ask. My hub wonders can I even have another op being put to sleep(if I have hernia repair) when I've had an SAH ??

Sorry if I've gone off track again. It's been a long emotional day. I hope that you're feeling a lot better now.

I'm sending big hugs, thanks again for your advise.

SarahLou Xx

Hi SarahLou,

I've still got a neck left on my aneurysm and have an abnormal funnel shaped artery on the other side of the brain, so hence some tinnitus after the bleed and plus I had a Sentinel bleed about 3 - 4 years earlier .. to be honest I've got used to it now and I believe that it's something quite common after a stroke or brain injury, but it is something to mention to your GP. I tend to only notice mine at night or when it's quiet .. I do often get what I call a change of frequency in my ear too ... a bit like a radio being tuned in... but, I'm still alive and kicking at 6 years post SAH and nearly 11 years post sentinel bleed! :wink:

There are a few people on here that have had to undergo another op post SAH and all have been fine, even though it's a double whammy as such to contend with. xx