Hi

bogbrush

Hello

My name is Keith. I had my SAH on August 28 2006 and coiling at Southampton.

I am lucky that I have not suffered any lasting disability and seem to be recovering quite well.

So, 5 weeks on, I suffer from headaches every day and get tired very quickly. I generally only sleep the first part of the night (between 4 and 6 hours) and then headache prevents further sleep.

I have good and bad days although things are slowly improving.

I have not suffered any emotional effects and I am able to talk about what has happened.

I hope everyone here is OK

finally, isn't daytime TV boring?!

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

Welcome to behindthegray! Glad to hear that you're making a good recovery. Did you have any coiling or clipping?

Your sleep pattern is the same as mine was..............also I had the odd couple of nights where I just couldn't go off to sleep and I would still be awake at 4.00am.............used to drive me insane! So I can see why you're on the computer so early!! :) I still go through periods now where my sleep isn't very good. I suppose you just get used to it, but I don't work now, so if things get that bad, then I can take forty winks during the day.

I also find that propping myself up a bit more in bed, seems to reduce the pressure/headaches in my head.......I can't seem to lie my head flat anymore, as it's too uncomfortable. I also use one of those V shaped pillows.....it seems to help.

Do you have family around to support you? Yes, daytime TV can be pretty boring, but I'm quite partial now to listening to Phil and Fern on This Morning!!

If you get 5 mins, can you tell us a little bit more about yourself and your SAH experience?.....yes, I am nosey! :lol:

Hope that your day is a good one......

Take care,

Karen x :D

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

First of all, I forgot to mention my age which is 46.

My SAH occured on 28 August 2006. I woke up at 0230 to vist the toilet and within about 2 minutes I had a very severe headache and started vomitting. Shortly afterwards I collapsed on the floor unable to move my arms or legs. An ambulance took me to Basingstoke hospital A&E, where eventually I was diagnosed as having a "severe migraine" !

I was transfered to the Medical Assessment Unit to await a lumbar puncture "just to be sure". A couple of hours later, I had another sudden severe headache and was whisked into the CT scanner and the SAH was diagnosed. I was not aware of anything after my second bleed until I woke up 2 days later in the neuro ITU at Southampton after having coiling. I was then transfered to HDU and then a neuro ward and finally back to Basingstoke hospital on 07 September and came home 4 days later.

Since then I have made slow steady improvement, although last week I suffered a severe headache for several hours which took me back to hospital on blue lights. I was released the same day after a CT scan and the all clear from Southampton.

I'm having one of my better days today, but I think I'll have a short kip soon, as I was up early this morning.

I found out about this website from the SAH "usefull links" section of Salford hospital website.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for telling us about your SAH and hope that you've been able to rest and catch up with your sleep. Resting up is definetly a key to recovery. I've had a few bad nights and today I'm paying for it......my dizziness is twice as bad as normal and I can't really settle to do anything.

It's horrible having another scare though, especially so soon after coming home......I had one on Aug 25th, this year and had to go into hospital for a couple of days. I was eventually given a MRI, but they didn't find anything. It took me a couple of weeks to get over that one.....but the fatigue kicked back in with a vengeance.

Did you suffer from a history of headaches or migraine before you had the SAH?

Do you manage to do much during the day? Sami on the site also had her SAH about the same time as you and she's doing pretty well. I know that my energy levels were very slow in returning and even now at 14 months post SAH, I don't consider that they've returned to anywhere near normal. Everybody is very different at the rate that they recover and I suppose it depends also on how much damage the bleed has caused the brain.

Anyway, must haul my bum off the sofa and go and do some work! :lol:

Rest up and take it easy!

Karen :D

Hello

Did I hear my name mentioned? :lol:

Hi Keith

I had my SAH on the 25th August whilst on holiday in Devon (I live in Notitngham). It was my first summer holiday in 6 years too - just goes to show what slowing down did for me!! I was taken to Barnstaple and then transferred to Plymouth where they did a sterling job of coiling and post op care. A week after getting home I was backin hospital in Nottingham at QMC where the care was terrible.

Like you, I have no physical after affects and have been back at work since September 12th. I get tired and the headaches are a pain in the bum. I found taking 2 parcetamol before bed and doing what Karen said about propping up a bit more in bed helps with the heads and sleeping.

I've probably suffered more emotionally than physically but the last week has been good and I feel that I have finally turne a corner now and can start to look forward.

Anyway nice to meet you :wink:

Sami xxx

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

My nickname comes from a hairstyle I had about 25 or more years ago. Nobody has actually called me that for years even though some would say I'm round the bend.:lol: I now just use it as an internet nickname.

Funnily enough, my job as an automation engineer does involve a lot of work in sewage treatment processes. :)

Regards

Keith