High blood pressure - who is taking what? Doc called today and wants me to take meds

Hi everyone

I had a blood pressure monitor attached to me last week - and the upshot is that the doctor wants to put me on tablets/medication for high blood pressure (even though when I went in it to see them and they took a reading I appeared to be normal/low...which just goes to show how random it can be I suppose).

I wondered what everyone else has been prescribed for JUST high blood pressure (I know some of you are on betablockers and other hypertension drugs to help with headaches etc).

Thanks

Nic

x

Hi, I take BP meds for high BP 3 of them once a day: Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg - Amlodipine 5mg - Ramipril 10mg

I get the BP monitor home with me for a week every time I get it done at the surgery its high its called 'white coat syndrome' but doing it at home it seems to be ok.

take care

Well I was on BP meds before my SAH but recently the doc switched me to a stronger dose. I take 40mg of Quinapril, There is also a need for PMS--Hydrochlorothiazide, a diruetic and I have to say that pill works very well :D

I monitor my BP daily sometimes, when I am under the weather or stressed even more often.

Just took mine now 126 over 75, if I didnt have a cold I would feel awesome LOL.

The meds do not help me at all with headaches. Rest is helping.

The meds do get my BP on track but they also affect my diabetes medication.... wow if I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of myself!

My blood pressure shot up when I was 4 months post SAH, apparently this can happen. But he didn't put me on meds straight away, he was still coming to visit me at home at that time, he checked 3 times that first week and when he came back on the Monday and it was still high then he prescribed meds. I was put on a beta blocker and a calcium channel blocker. I couldn't function because they made me feel so tired, even though my GP told me that I would be taking them for life I decided I wouldn't!

I did have a healthy diet but I became even more strict, everything is cooked from scratch , even biscuits, so that I know exactly what's in it. I drink a glass of beetroot juice each day and try to buy organic food as much as possible. I needed to bring some sort of exercise into my routine but I'm not allowed to go to the gym or even to lift heavy weights. So I walk to and from work, I do a little detour coming home and walk up a flight of 124 stairs as well as walking up a very steep hill.

I also bought a home monitor because I suffer from 'white coat syndrome', although my GP says they deduct 15 from each number because most people's BP is a little higher at the surgery. I take my BP every other morning at the same time and I now have it down to 112/72. I no longer take the beta blocker, which was the main culprit for feeling tired, and my calcium channel blocker is a quarter of the dose I had been on. I still intend to be off that one day!

My GP says my BP has to be just the lower side of normal. Having the home monitor saves me from having to visit him every 2 weeks to have it checked, now I only need to go every 6 months. I would have thought you would have needed several readings to see just what's going on with your BP but I'd also stress that if it is high then meds will bring it down, it's not good for us to have raised BP. Whatever you do, you should do it with the agreement of your doc.

My top number- systolic has been jumping up high up to 157 at times but my bottom number has remained low. It started 6 months prior to SAH - something I will address during a scheduled physical in the future. WHen I am having a painful day it is usally high. I am going to have my GP recommend a cardiolgist to becuz I think I have soemthing other going. running late for work........... m

Thanks for all your advice :-) I've gone with one where I can eat grapefruit as I love this in salads - and from memory cos I can't be bothered to go downstairs and take a look - the tablets are called 'Ritalin'? (I've probably got that wrong!).:oops: The take home monitor did monitor me for 24 hours and at hospital it went up to something like 172/xxx although it stayed around 145-155 most times (I forget the lower figure but it was around 80-90s I think). I'm a bit peeved that the tablets are supposed to be for life though. I told the doctor we'd reassess it when I've lost some weight - so she agreed!

Not feeling right at the moment though :frown: and hope it's just a blip.

Nic

x