It's official… I do have brain damage!

I knew this but seeing the test results in black and white and hearing the doctor discuss my options has been depressing. I told him the other doctor told me it was impossible after a Perimesencephalic SAH and he laughed. He said blood in your brain is blood in your brain…. it ain't good! :) He did make me laugh. But apparently, I have moderate cognitive deficiencies, mostly in executive functions and organization/processing. This doctor said there is a pill he could prescribe to help with my memory and cognitive issues. I turned it down and opted for outpatient therapy instead. Has anyone here heard of such a pill??

Hi Susan,

Think I have always been a little short on cognitive, I remember what suits me.

I remember my husband said to me after having a shunt op, "your memory wont be that good the hospital said"

I said to myself my names Win my brothers and sisters names all 9 of them and hubby and daughters name.

Okay I might forget appointments, I blame my hubby for that (suits me).

So don't worry the brain is healing as we type, so less stress and more positive xx

Good Luck

WinB143 xx

Hi Susan,

My neuro offered me this powder to mix and drink that is used for Alzheimer's patients that is supposed to aid in healing the brain. I declined. Honestly, I was afraid.

Sorry, do not know about a pill.

Wouldn't it be great though if one little pill could make it all better?

Iola

Susan,

I was also told that I'd be 'Fine' when I was in the emergency room not being able to talk, move, swallow or control my bodily functions. I wondered how that could be. As you know, I am about 2 1/2 years post and I can say that I am ~ 90%. I really took a big leap at 18months post and have been building on it slowly since then. Everyone is different. You may have deficits for the rest of your life; it also may not be noticeable to you in 5years like it already isn't noticeable to others at times. It is very hard to accept things when you don't know the actual final outcome, but it is doable.

Sometimes, I feel like I did before the SAH then in the next moment, I am crying over something strange, talking in a low voice out of the blue, laughing in an unfamiliar way, or not being able to remember where I parked my car at the store. I found that if I just witness these occurrences and not judge them in anyway...good or bad, life unfolds as it always has.

It is a challenge, but then again challenges make us strive and look for ingenious ways to cope or to overcome. They make us all better people than those who never have to lift a finger for any reason. I'm grateful I get this opportunity to become more than I ever could before having a SAH.

~Kris