throwing up

Guest kaj

We brought my mom home and she is more confused than she has been in a while. She is putting her puzzle pieces in her drink. She is mixing her food with her drinks, etc. She sometimes throws up her food after she has had some to eat. Has anyone else experienced that? She can't really tell us that she feels sick to her stomach. The caregiver is concerned because she told us that she always has to have someone with her because my mom is heavy 145lbs, and she needs help transferring her to the bathroom, etc. My mom is still very weak and the three days in the hospital made it worse. She is seeing a physical therapist and nurse. The physical therapist will come three times a week. Her blood pressure dropped again today and was 93 over 60. The doctors cannot figure it out. She had a heart attack but the doctors don't think that is what is wrong. This is going to be really hard. I can only help my dad on Saturdays and Sundays. I wish I could help more. I am scared that my dad will want to give up and the caregiver will quit. I was happy that she was coming home but now I hope we are doing the right thing for everyone. I don't want my dad to burn out and feel that he is responsible for everything.

Kim

Hi there

I know that having your Mum home with you is great but wouldnt it be better if she were to go into a rehab hospital where they can help her with re-ajusting to life at home again.

I went into a re-hab hospital & while I hated it now I know that it was the best thing for me without that I wouldnt be able to do any of the things that I do now, when I got there I couldnt do any of the things we all take for granted....

I hope things improve soon.

Take care Louise.

Hi Kim,

Is it possible that any of the meds that your Mum is on, could be affecting her stomach? If she's mixing her food with her drink, then she needs to be supervised and the drink taken away from her when she's eating. Does she drink from a beaker? .... It could be worth investing in one of those "toddler" type training cups, so that she doesn't spoil her food.... I know that they used to use those, when I was in hospital. May be you could also try to keep her meal portions smaller and make sure that the food isn't too rich... little and often as such....

The weakness is pretty typical after hospital .... so, if you can get her to move in any sense, then it will help ... obviously, I don't know how severe your Mum's physical disability is, but you should be able to tell how much that she's able to manage and encourage her to do as much as she possibly can, especially if she's on the heavy side. Even if it's just transferring herself from the bed to a chair and being able to swing her legs over the bed. The physical weakness does get better, but you need a reason to move ... as long as there's somebody around to help her and make sure that she doesn't injure herself. Are you able to get some advice from the Physio? I was only 2 weeks in a hospital bed, but when I left hospital, I could barely walk a few yards and needed a wheelchair. However, I'm younger than your Mum and had children to see to, so I think that tends to motivate you mentally and spur you on.

I wish that I could offer more to you ...

Hi Kim

Sorry to hear that. I think recovery from SAH can be very up and down with lots of steps back and forward - I think sometimes it's better not to focus on each individual change, hard as that may sound.

I would second what Karen says and go for smaller portions of simple food. Also, dairy foods can aggravate an upset stomach, so I would say to steer clear of those if she has been sick.

Good luck, don't forget to take time to look after yourself too.

Blondie

Thanks everyone. I suggested to my father that he give her small meals and maybe some snacks in between. OUr biggest problem is to get her to drink. My dad did give her a sippie cup, my kids are little and it was theirs. The nurse does not want her to use it or straws. She doesn't like her having to "suck" anything. I don't understand why. She does not want to drink. We don't understand it. She has been to rehab in a hospital setting and then rehab in a nursing home setting. We were about to take her home when her blood pressure dropped. the doctor kept her in the hospital for three days and that made her weaker. They couldn't find anything wrong with her. Her blood pressure dropped again yesterday. I don't know. My dad is committed to have her at home until the end of December. Then we are going to see how she is cognitively and what kind of strength she has. They are going to bring a OT, PT, ST, someone to bath her at times, and a nurse at times. So, I hope this helps.

Thanks again for all your advice. We are going to keep on pushing and hopefully get through this.

by the way my mom is around 145 lbs, not too heavy but the caregiver already quit after three and a half days.

Kim

Hi there

Hadn't realised your Mum had been into rehab when I mentioned it, dont get me wrong I hated it but now I know that it was the best thing for me & Ronnie my husband.

Thats very strange the nurse not wanting your Mum to use a beaker or even a straw, I'd think so long as your Mum is getting the liquid is dosnt matter unless the suck motion makes her coak?

I think that you are all doing great I admaire you because I know just how tough it can be from your Mum's perspective.

Look after yourself becasue its the carers that are ignored.

Take care

Louise.xx