Diet for Annie

Hi, well Annie is home and we are getting a routine together, Annie is putting on weight which I suppose isn't a bad thing. But she is aware of the increase and she isn't happy. There are also issues in relation to turning and hoisting etc and excoriation, especially in warm weather.

I have approached our GP who just said diet but I feel its a little different when you are unable to move and your life is spent in a chair of bed. I'm not looking for advice but I am looking for pointers if anyone has any.

You can read about Annies progress on my blog at www.chrisomalley.co.uk

Cheers
Chris x

Really the only thing you can really do is to cut down the calories consumed because Annie is using very little energy.

I was mobility restricted last year and I found that my appetite really diminished, hardly eating anything. If I ever felt peckish I would go for the fruit bowl. I never ate anything overly ripe as the riper the fruit is the more fruit sugar there is in it.

• Like 2

Chris I was told to diet also.

I just feel like I deserve a treat as I saw a tall man in my dreamlike state and he spoke to me then threw a tray of sweets to my right and I saw my daughter and hubby and I ran to them.  The shunt worked !

I was told I wouldn't walk again, so I used to move my feet like doing a tap dance and if I can move my feet then surely I can walk. I am walking approximately 100 yards before my back really hurts.

Has wife got a zimmer frame? as the hoist hurts your arms.  I asked my hubby for a zimmer frame for Christmas 2010.

I got my dignity back then.  Good luck to you both. now get her doing tap with her feet and go from there.

WinB143 xx xx

Hi Win143, Annie is almost quadriplegic. She has no core and she can't move her legs on command. However when she stretches, yawns, laughs and sneezes the leg and feet move. It's an initiation problem I think. We live in hope as does my Annie?
Cheers
Chris x

hi Chris

my lin suffers that with both weight and excoriation  lin has a airflow mattress which has cells that fluctuate and I place a pillow under her bottom from one side and that has sorted it out we also use meconium from the supermarket its the same as nappy cream but works wonders  your Annie sound identical to my lin.

lin is peg fed and although she gained weight we have adjusted lins feed she lost weight and now we have adjusted her feed and its stopped the weight gain and things have levelled off

I found that the weight gain caused the excoriation  things are far better and when lin sits in her chair we use the roho cushion which I adjust so that lin sits in and not on the cushion I will send you a pm take care  

Sorry to hear this Chris,

My family paid a lot for  cushions for me and all I needed was one with a hole in it.

My bum bone hurt (cannot spell coxyic) still does.  Eventually they found one. 

I wish you and Annie all the best and may she grow from strength to strength.

They also got me an electric pedal thing (like a bike but smaller and they used to slip my feet in it) and my knees automatically went up and down.  This was before the shunt, I think they played games with me,  but it did help my sitting up as I used to fall sideways.  No balance etc. 

I could not even hold a cup so do not give up you keep fighting for Annie xx Lovely pic of her smiling xx

Regards

Winb143 xx