Hairdressers and SAH

I've had a couple of wonderful weeks was even putting wheels in motions for going back to work, weaned of codeine. Last night and today I've been in horrendous form. Headache nearly as bad as SAH and pain in Coxis but no explosion. I also feel I'm coming down with something feels like flu but I know what our resistance is like (sore throat hot cheek etc.). I was due to fly home today for Christmas had to cancel flight now feeling extremely sorry for myself. Have asked GP to write me out prescription for the heavy duty painkillers. Anyway despite having a moan.

I vaguely remember a thread were people had probs when they leant their neck on the bowl at the hairdressers to get. washed. I think I'm just having a combo things was getting a bit energetic seems to bite us all. vaguely remember Karen and Keith have a rough time a few weeks ago.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Aine xox

Hi Aine

Sorry to hear your feeling rotten, believe me I know about it in the last couple of weeks felt horrible today is the first day I feel a bit brighter so put up our tree ok so now I'm into the festive thing.

I always find in very uncomfy at the hairdressers leaning back but as much as that I find in doubley worse to lean forward, so just tell myself its not long.....

Thats what I find just when I thing I've got this sorted it rises up as bites me the tiredness ect that comes along I always think its like the body saying to itself yep she's needing reminded.....

Louise.x

Hi Aine,

So sorry to hear your news ..... I can remember probably mentioning something about "backward" hair washing in the past ..... think that it's called "beauty parlour syndrome" .... something to do with the blood supply being restricted to the head/neck when put into this position.

Foreward facing hair washes are probably the way to go, but you can always ask the hairdresser for some support under your neck/ under the basin, such as a rolled towel, around the neck. Some hairdressers will be able to give you a cushion support that fits the ceramic around the basin and helps ease the neck/blood flow restriction.

If all else fails..... then you could wash your hair at home and then go for a wet cut. It's definetely worth mentioning to any hairdresser that you've had a SAH and hopefully, they'll be able to buy the cushion that fits around a backward facing basin.

It could be, that it's just coincidence that the visit to the hairdresser has made you feel rough ..... I'm at 2.5 years post SAH, but still only having a good 3 weeks out of 5 ..... which is great for me! I'm sure that the stress at xmas doesn't help and it's probably something that we all need to re-address. May be the combination of both, has made you feel rougher than normal. I'm hitting on a low point too ... getting over a migraine and realising that I may not be able to achieve everything that I need to, post Christmas..... I don't worry about myself, but I do worry that I can't give the family a good xmas etc...

Anyway, you take care, put your feet up and everybody will be understanding ...... Christmas is only 2 days out of the year and there will be other days when you can fly back to see your family, so don't feel too bad, they'll understand ..... I know that we beat ourselves up, when we have to cancel certain things .... but you know that you would do it, if you were up to it........ xx

Hi Girls

Thanks for the support. I'm a stubborn mule have rebooked for Thursday :lol: Well thats what credit cards are for. I do think I've been overdoing it. Think you are right Louise, the body does indeed tell us. and guess it was time I took some of my own advice. Karen the kids and Eric will have a Fab Christmas you being there is the best gift they could ever have.

Big Hugs

Aine xox

What a difference an hour makes, whilst I'm still rough thought I was dying a while ago. :lol:

That's a girl Aine!

Take it as easy a possible in the next few days and hopefully, you'll start to feel better. It does get you down when you have relapes and mine are still pretty frequent .... I must admit that even with time, I don't find them any easier to cope with.....it's probably more frustration than anything.. but, you do get through them and that's the comfort that I take from each episode.

Hi Aine

Hope you feel better soon although I blame the time of year my head has been giving me gyp for the past week or more. Good news that you managed to get more flights booked. Try to relax for the next couple of days then enjoy your christmas break.

I also find it slightly uncomfortable at the hairdressers when having the wash done but as it doesn't normally take too long tend to grin and bear especially as the results are normally worthwhile.

Janet x

I found it helped to ask them NOT to massage my head when shampooing; it felt too weird when they did. Since then, the hairdresser keeps it short and sweet and so its not too bad. It just takes a bit of getting used to....

Hope you feel better -- I find getting my hair done helps my mood no end, but like Janet the cold really affects my head. Joanxx

Hi Aine - poor you! Does sound like you've been overdoing it a bit. Still, you don't always know what is too much unless you try, do you?!

Good luck back at he hairdressers again. I've always found the basins really uncomfortable, though they are worse now.

For anyone worrying about Christmas, and not doing enough - any of us who are spending the bulk of the festive period alone will vouch for the fact it is who you're with that counts. Besides which - your families are all just really glad you're still here - so, um - stuff the turkey!

love to all

Blondie x