SAH-discovery of behindthegray...

Guest Jan

Hi - Just discovered your online support site. I was beginning to think I'd have to start one myself. My SAH was back in July 07 and, generally, I'm making good progress but, as a general progress check and because I have another aneurysm, am faced with the prospect of an MRI scan and my consultant doesn't feel the 'open' MRI will provide the required data. Am in a bit of a funk about the whole thing as I 'suffer' from really bad claustrophobia. Any useful ideas or experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Jan and welcome

I think the thought of the MRI scanners are off putting enough without being claustrophobic as well.

I was quite ill when I had too have mine and the only way I coped was by imagining myself somewhere else.

Try not to stress out too much about it if you discuss it with your Neuro he may be able to arrange for you to take something to calm you down a bit before you go in.

Anyway look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Take care

Janet x

Hi Janet

Thanks for the encouragement but I am going to pursue the possibility of an 'open MRI' a bit more - I really think there is more chance of my sticking my head in a gas oven then succumbing to the normal MRI tube... Yes, they have offered sedation but I am concerned that cutbacks might be playing a part in the refusal of an 'open MRI' and I need to be convinced that this is not the case and that the information/data would not be sufficient - it's lovely to find you, though, and look forwarding to swapping ideas on happier themes in the future.

Jan

Hi there

Yes like you I hate confind spaces cant go into a lift the larger phillips MRI would be good to find if you can get that.

I just had to close my eyes and imagine myself somewhere else I did have music coming through the headphones though but had forgotten to give the nurse the CD I'd taken along, music suggestion something loud Queen.....

Nice to meet you.

Take care

Louise.x

Hi Jan,

Normally, the MRI scan won't take as long as the initial scans that you had for the SAH, as they already know which part of your brain needs to be scanned.. With my own follow up scan, I was only in there for about 5 minutes. That time, I was put into the Philips type scanner, which is less claustrophobic and not quite so unpleasant as the Siemens type. My husband was also told that he could stay in the room with me, if I needed him to do so.

Like the other ladies, I just closed my eyes and tried to picture lying on a beach ....

Good luck...

Hi Jan and welcome

My last MRA (a type of MRI scan) was in the closed type scanner which is not good if you are claustrophobic and my wife was able to be in the room. I have my next scan next week in Southampton, where they have both types of scanner. I can guess which one I'll be going in ... but then, I'm not claustrophobic.

MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) sometimes requires an injection of a contrast agent to show the blood vessels more clearly, but not always, as the machine can be adjusted to do this. I didn't have any injections for my last scan. I suppose it depends on the scanner.

There is a good description of MRA here:

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cf ... omr&bhcp=1

There is also some info here that would suggest that "Some blood vessels may not be seen clearly with an open MRI scanner" Don't know if it applies to modern scanners, though.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

I agree and I think that if you can have the option of being given a mild sedative and put into the scanner that gives a better overall picture, then I know which one I would choose....but, that's just my own personal opinion.

I've had quite a few MRI's..... pre-SAH and post SAH and even though I really hate going into the scanners and find it claustrophobic and feel panicky, rather than having to have two scans, then my preference is weighing up the options and taking the choice, that is overall beneficial to me.....even though I hate scanners, I would rather only do it the one time.

Jan, I had to have a light sedative at my angio check up and it's really worth it .... they often don't like giving you one, but you can insist or you can waste their time and boy, was I insistent..... they weren't going to wheel me down without one....but, they did try, even though it was pre-arranged and they had to bleep a Doc to okay it.... As long as you've got somebody with you to drive you home, then it's an option that I would definetly discuss with the people that are looking after you.

There's probably a lot of us on this website that feel the same way that you do, with the dreaded scanners...

Guest yasmin

I to feel claustrophobic when I have MRI scans and i'm also due another onthe 15th Jan, mine is 8.15 am so early!! I think is something we just have to do so I just lay there and hope for the best.

Yasmin

thanks to everyone who has responded - will post a message when I've done a bit more research into possibilities of an 'open MRI'. Incidentally, I have a 'magical' cranial osteopath who has helped enormously with recovery - especially dizziness and spacey sensations... would recommend this as complementary treatment if you can find the right person (unfortunately not on the NHS).

Would still be interested to hear from anyone who has been scanned for aneurysm progress using an 'open MRI'... Jan x