First scan after coiling following SAH

Hi there

I had coiling done on my ruptured aneurysm at the end of July. I was told at the time at it was only partially occluded - my aneurysm is small (5mm) and now has a coil in about 60% of it. How long have other people had to wait to have their first scan after the coiling? I had one done in the hospital and got the neuroradiologist to talk me through the scans. He suggested having a scan after 3 months given it was only partially occluded. However, he's now left and the hospital say I'm in the system for a scan after 6 months.

How long is normal to wait?

Thanks

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I had my shunt put in 2010 so I guess they gave me a scan then.

I had one scan approx. 1 year after, in 2011, since then I have been signed off at hospital. 

They said if I feel unwell (My words) to get my Doc to make an appointment.

Good Luck

Winb143 xx  I was told by Surgeon not to Stress so if worried see your Doctor and no stress !! x

• Like 1

Hi Andrea,

I had my first scan three months after it ruptured and subsequent coiling.  It was following this scan that mine was found not to be fully occluded and I was advised to have more coils put in. I was told this should be done within the next 3 weeks - that 3 weeks turned into 8 months!  So basically I was ok with the half filled annie for 11 months, but the waiting and worrying during that time was not much fun. 

Take care,

Sarah

• Like 1

Hi Andrea,

I had two done in the hospital, because they couldn't believe that the annuerysm had clotted itself off. I was very fortunate. My SAH occurred on New Years Eve. I had my first follow up MRA on 6/16 and am scheduled for another in a year. And was told I should have one done yearly for 5 years, of course they love to spend those medical dollars here in the States. But who am I to argue, they saved my life once.

Good Luck,

Bill C

• Like 1

Hello Andrea

My SAH happened 11th Sep last year and was coiled within 48 hrs - very glad to have had the first anniversary!

I had my first follow-up MRI in March and was told that the coils had collapsed. My consultant said that they would probably have to put in more coils and a stent but would do another scan in 6 months before making the decision.

I have an MRI booked for 30th September so will have an answer then I hope. I haven't worried about it too much, having confidence in my consultant neuroradiologist to know what's best for me and my aneurysm.

I hope this helps.

Debbie :) xx

• Like 2