Re Coiling

Hi

Just a quick one I am due for MRI scan on Friday and then I am seeing consultant following week. Last year I was told that there was a small space which had not been filled with coils and they were going to wait for result of scan before making decision to add more coils. All I want to know is the procedure as risky as original coil embolization or more like the angiogram, please be honest I am a thick skinned old b!!!!r.

Cheers

John

Hi John

I'm still waiting for the results of my last scan, so I'm hoping everything is OK.

I've just re-read an article I found some time ago which states:

A reopened aneurysm has a certain risk of hemorrhage, the magnitude of which is not known. Fortunately, re-coiling is a fairly safe technique. Additionally, newer technologic advances such as newer biologically active coils and stents designed to prevent recanalization have been developed, and the early results are encouraging.

You can read the whole very detailed article here:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3468.htm

There is also another very good detailed article here:

http://www.emedicine.com/Med/topic2883.htm

I should imagine that re-coiling carries much the same risks as the original coiling, but the risk is probably lessened due to the fact that you're not suffering from the immediate aftermath of a haemorrhage.

Regards

Keith

Regards

Keith

Hi

I understand i am new to this site but i asked my consultant the same question.

He stated that the risks a greatly reduced than after a rupture as i had. He explained that the site is easier to work within and the time spent in hospital is less than a week.

I do hope this helps. I was told that 20% of coilings may need further surgery and that was why i asked my consultant.

Hi

Thanks both I'll let you all know next week and thanks Keith I'm just about to print off the information and settle down and go through it. I'm finding now that with the stress of waiting for results the headaches have come back together with the fatigue so hopefully when I know the results I can get back to normal.

Cheers All

John