Caffeine and aspartame

Having already tried cutting out caffeine and still no change in headaches and telling everyone on here about it. People also said about aspartane, I haven't heard of that not alone cut it out so as from my next shop I am going to cut out both and see what happens. I know caffeine is obviously in coffee and cola etc and I've just looked at the ingredients on my oasis drink and aspartane is in that. I will check the ingredients but if anyone knows any more please can you let me know to help with my elimination process.

I'm not being lazy, it justs takes enough energy to get round the supermarket without reading every label as well!

Thanks

Laura

xx

Guest Samijoliz

Hello,

Are you a cheese-eater? I think cheese, red wine, and chocolate (LOL, my head is just going to have to hurt!) are possible triggers as well.

I've also heard that dehydration leads to migraines. I find that when I drink gatorade (do they have that in the UK?) at the onset of a migraine, at least 20 oz, then the migraine fades or goes away.

Have a nice day,

Samantha

I have cheese and chocolate but only in moderation, often not for months and red wine I don't have at all. We have lucozade which is similar, that is one of the drinks that I drink alot when I get a craving for sugar or thats what I think its for anyway! I haven't noticed it having any positive or negative effect on my headaches.

Thanks for the advice

Laura

xx

Since my SAH coffee is a no no, haven't had one in nearly a year, the last one I had triggered a significant headache and strangely enough made me feel "drunk" - I was all over the place.

Before the SAH I found that chocolate and orange nearly always triggered a migraine.

Hey there

I've not touched anything containing caffeine since my SAH - not even pain killers - the extra strength ones seem to contain caffeine!! Some cold and flu remedies contain the aspartame sweetner too and I know that this is responsible for a lot of my headaches - it's in most low fat/reduced sugar foods and drinks. I have choclate now and again but not too often and certainly not solid chocolate. Not sure that the cheese side of things has ever affected me - I used to eat a lot of it but now I have it now and again.

Sami xxx

Thanks for your help. I'd never heard of aspartane so its a whole new learning curve and surprisingly no doctor or consultant has told me about aspartane or caffeine for that matter. Although I did know about caffeine- it didn't seem to make a difference but it could have been because of the aspartane i suppose! I'm sounding confused!!!!

Laura

xx

When you eliminate caffeine from your diet, it will induce a withdrawal headache itself ...... so, it probably takes a good couple of weeks to notice a difference.

The rise and fall of blood sugar is something else to consider .... especially if you're drinking/eating full sugar products .... I've quickly found this link, which will explain it a bit more http://www.whale.to/v/sandler10.html

Here's another link http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabet ... nt/DA00005 .... from what I've read, it seems to be the case that we need to eat foodstuffs that only contain their natural sugars and not food that has had sugar added to it. My brother is a diabetic and it's not a bad diet to follow.

The GI diet also seems to be pretty good for stabilising blood sugar .... yet another link.... http://www.tescodiets.com/index.cfm?cur ... le_id=2016

It's worth doing an internet search to find out what are the best natural foods to eat, that realise energy, gradually, rather than eating foodstuffs that contain refined sugar....such as fizzy drinks, cakes, chocolate, biscuits etc.