Arachnoid cysts treatment?

Guest shagy36

Guest shagy36

I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage on October 13, 2006 (a Friday no less). Due to doctors not being able to regulate my body temperature and intense shaking, I was placed in a drug induced coma for 5 and 1/2 weeks. I was able to recover with no neural deficits and few side effects. (I do have a constant ringing in my left ear and my tongue curves to the right.)

Around July of last year, I started experiencing lower back pain that would shoot down into my legs. The doctors said it was probably sciatic symptoms due to lying on my back for an extended period of time and my extreme weight loss (almost 70 pounds). The "sciatic" problems continued to get worse, where I started having trouble sitting or standing for long periods of time. In the past month I have also experienced numbness and tingling in my extremities and shooting pains in the base of my neck and skull. I recently had an MRI done. The neuro said I have two arachnoid cysts pressing against my spine. Has anyone else experienced these types of cysts? What are some of the treatment options? Any suggestions for pain relief? Thanks

Hi there shagy I am really sorry you have had to join us but welcome I am sorry but I haven't experienced what you are However you are in the right place I am sure someone will be able to help. Jess.xxx

Guest shagy36

Thank you for the warm welcomes! I look forward to getting to know some of you better and sharing our experiences. Take care and have a great weekend!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the website! :D

You sound as though you've really had and are still having a tough time with everything.

I can remember reading something about arachnoid cysts, so I shall have to do a Google and re-fresh my memory.

I haven't come across anybody else on this website with this condition.......

Like yourself, I suffer with tinnitus in my left ear, which has actually improved a little in the last few weeks ..... it's caused me the most grief at night time, when I've been trying to get off to sleep .....

As for sciatic pain in the leg, then yes, I've had a lot of that since the SAH ..... only in the right leg and I've put it down to being in a bad sleeping position, as sleep has been a definite problem for me. However, I did have sciatica for many years pre-SAH...well, that's what the Doc diagnosed and I've never had any specific tests for it, so I've just presumed that's what it is.

If anybody wants to know what an arachnoid cyst is, please click on the following link.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/arac ... _cysts.htm

I also had horrific back and leg pain for quite a few weeks after the SAH .... in fact that pain, was far worse than the pain in the head and I put it on a par with childbirth......absolute agony......

I do get what I call "electric shock" type pain in my feet ..... mainly when I'm driving ..... I've had it at other times too, but it's definetly more frequent when I'm going through periods of fatigue and bad heads.....it almost feels as though somebody has plugged me into an electric socket..... :lol:

Anyway, enough of me! Have the medics suggested what type of treatment that you could have for the cysts?

Guest shagy36

Hi Karen - I have a follow-up appointment with the neuro on the 14th. When I saw him this past Monday, he said that surgery would probably need to be done on the cysts. He did not specify whether it would be orthoscopic or more invasive. He was unsure if the cyst in the lower portion of my back was an actual cyst or fibrous adhesions on the spine and surrounding nerves (more like scar tissue). If it is scar tissue, surgery wouldn't work. I would just suffer from chronic pain. He was going to consult with other neurosurgeons to determine a best path forward. In almost 30 years of practicing, he said he hasn't come across a condition quite like mine. :(

The pain in my neck and head has been increasing, to the point where I'm dizzy and nauseous when standing. The tingling and numbness in the hands and fingers has also increased. I'm on a combination of Neurontin, Vicodin, and Tylenol, but still having a lot of difficulty. Hopefully, the docs will come up with something soon. I will let you all know what the doctors say. Take care

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I've been plagued with dizziness since the SAH, so you have my every sympathy ...... it's a miserable thing to live with and it's affected my walking. Thankfully, it's improved, especially in the last couple of months, but it still has a way to go.

I really wish I could help you with an answer ....... I hope that you will let us know what the Docs come up with and stay in contact with us......even if we can't help with an answer, we're good listeners if you need to let off some steam.....

You take care too......