Migraine

Hi Karen

I suffered from severe headaches for months last year and when we got back from Plymouth when I was discharged we found the paracetamol/codeine tablets that the Doc has prescribed for me dated December last year. They did ease but on the day of my SAH I had a headache all day long but put it down to the lack of coffee as I used to be a huge coffee drinker.

The other thing is that I actually have a naturally low blood pressure and even during pregnancy it was never higher than normal, so for the anuerysm to have burst through high blood pressure is a mystery to me.

But I do believe that people suffering from more headaches than is classed as normal should be monitored or scanned for aneurysms or weak artery lining - prevention rather than cure has got to be more efficient surely.

But yes, I'm with you on this one.

Sami xxx

Hiya,

I've never had to see the GP about migraines in the past.....but my current GP has now put this on my notes......I haven't had any migraines since taking Propranolol, which is a beta blocker, but it's also used for migraine sufferers. I'm on the beta blocker for heart palpitations as it slows down the heart rate, but he suggested that I should now stay on it indefinetly.

It was interesting to here the latest theory, that people who suffer migraines are often found to have a small hole/tear near the heart....this affects blood flow and can be the cause of migraines. I saw a tv programme, where a severe migraine sufferer had this tear, she had it repaired and bingo, her migraines stopped over the course of the next few months....but it's a very interesting theory.

I also don't have high blood pressure, but I'm happy to take the beta blocker if it stops the migraines. I know that the "classic" type that I get with aura..zig zag lines across the eyes, are particularly bad for you.

My theory is that my heart palpatations/flutterings could be linked to the migraines, that eventually lead on to the SAH. If your experiencing migraines where your arteries are dilating and expanding over a long period of time, then like an elastic band, it's going to develop a weak spot and perish.

Still, it's only a theory, but interesting to here about you low blood pressure.

Love K x

Hello you 2

Heather had severe migraines from sometime just after Louis was born up to having the SAH. She now gets the occasional headache but no migraines.

The doctors do not beleive that there is a link though, strange that, but thats what they think.

See ya all.

Andy

Hiya

I've lost confidence in Doctors just recently with my Doc saying I can take the Gingko, Karen's saying no, the pharmacist saying no and then 2 herbalists saying yes. Will be interesting to see what the Neurosurgeon has to say!!!

Sami xx

Hi Andy,

Yes....I think that everybody has their own theories on this one. My migraines became worse after having children.....I started to experience the "aura" for the first time. Interesting hearing about Heather's.

Prior to having kids, I would just have the thumping head and vomiting. I still think that there's a connection to aneurysms.....even if it's a loose one .... surely, the more an artery contracts and expands, the more wear and tear it's going to have than normal and it will eventually lose it's elasticity.

Anyway, I'm still running with this theory!

Love K x

P.S. Thats a lovely pic of you and Louis (did I get his name right?) Andy.

Sami xx

Yes my friend you did!

Now its the pronunciation thats key Louis is pronounced as it would be by the french Louee.

louis gets very offended when people call him lewis.

Andy

Hi

I had migraines before my SAH, but only about 3 or 4 per year. They were bad enough to send me home from work and were often accompanied by vomiting. A couple of paracetamol and a couple of hours sleep usually sorted it out.

My SAH was originally diagnosed as a severe migraine, although I knew at the time that it wasn't as the headache came on too suddenly and did not feel the same as a migraine headache. I also collapsed on the floor with both arms and legs paralysed for several minutes.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

It's interesting to know that you also suffered from migraines post SAH. I also didn't get them frequently, but sort of had clusters of them, maybe three close together in one month and then nothing for a couple of months. My trigger used to be stress or bright light .... especially camera flashlight.

I used to have the migraines with vomiting....but once I had kids, I started to get the "aura" prior to migraine, but the sickness stopped. It was scary when I first experienced the aura.

It would also be interesting to see if our non-aneurysm SAH friends also had a history of migraine prior to their SAH.

Anyway, hope that you are keeping well, you've been pretty quiet on the site, so hope that everything is okay. Have you had any news about your angio results?

Love K x

Hi Karen

I'm doing OK. Last week was a bit hectic so I havn't had much time to get on the site. I went to South Wales for a few days and over did it a bit christmas shopping in Swansea, so I wasnt too well for a couple of days. Then my brother and his family visited from Yorkshire and now my parents (also from yorkshire) are staying for a few days.

I went to my GP on Friday and he has signed me off for another month. He says to wait until then before trying to sort out my blood pressure.

I had a phone call yesterday from the SAH support nurse at Southampton to check how I'm doing. I was absolutely gob smacked that someone would actually check how I am and it boosts my already restored faith in the NHS!

Regards

Keith

Hiya Keith,

Glad that you're doing okay..... that's the trouble after a SAH.....you feel better, then do too much etc..... then have a couple of bad days....I still haven't learnt that one!! :lol: So you've had a house full then, must have been nice for you, but that's probably quite tiring as well.

Yes, it's nice that the support nurse calls to see how you're doing.....I think that I got one call from them, probably at the same stage as you...I used to e-mail Sarah with the odd problem...usually med related stuff, as the GP couldn't give me much help. She was always very good with getting back to me.

Why's your GP waiting to get your blood pressure down? I would have thought that he would have put you on something asap. Well, you have another month at home watching Daytime TV, will you be able to stand it!! :lol:

Great that you're doing well and take care,

Love K x