What’s normal?...

Had my PM- NASAH last May. I feel cognitively worse than I did right after my bleed. Or maybe it’s just that I’m noticing a new normal. anyone else with this type of bleed have frequent feeling of confusion - trouble with recall, feeling like your mind goes blank? Seems my thought process has been affected. Worried it is mini strokes but doctor tells me it’s not. 

Sorry to hear you are struggling but that observing new limits to stamina and defecits is not uncommon some time after an SAH or NA SAH and should not be entirely unexpected. 

As is said a lot on this forum, the tricky element for any bleed is that every person is unique so therefore every bleed is unique to  are the lasting effects. We may have some shared, fatigue, memory , dizziness at common but The scale of the bleeds, the amount of intervention, the age of the person, their fitness, their cognitive ability before the event, all of these are only indications to how much recovery someone might anticipate but the reality can be different and what it’s often not mentioned is the fact that having a bleed in an area of the brain is an injury and will have an imprint and effect. 

For some regions of the brain the effects of a bleed on associated functions may be more easily compensated for than others and reduce over time but where cognitive function is compromised or effects are lasting often there need to be learning of new techniques to work around the deficits  . I think the term used is executive dysfunction and the only real way to measure this for you an individual is to ask for a referral for a neurophyscology test. They can help assess the gaps and help you make adjustments and it really does help. 

I had testing done around 16 months after when I realised a lot of my physical recovery had tailed off and that I was struggling with gaps and memory.   They helped me with implementing new ways to recall and pace my activities and I attended a support group with other SAH patients where we shared coping strategy and experiences .

Hi Dbc I totally understand how you are feeling. I too had a NASAH but with the added complication of hydrocephalus and an EVD just over 3 years ago and like Daff still suffer from some of the effects.

I too think neuro psychological testing is really valuable as it lets you see where your deficits or changes are. I had mine done at about 16 months post bleed and still see my psychologist now. She is still helping me deal with the after effects of the bleed, both emotionally and mentally. She has given me lots of tips of ways to deal with memory problems and that awful 'getting stuck'.

My mind still goes blank, I have trouble with recall and still suffer from brain freeze. That said it is a lot less than in the first 2 years and I am accepting my new normal now. It really is a case of re-training yourself in the way you do things that you used to do with no trouble. Working less hours, in a quieter less stressful environment has helped me. Factoring extra recovery time after hectic social activities or holidays is very necessary for me now - and I still forget sometimes and pay the price.

You aren't a year out, so I would expect you should see some recovery for some time yet. Don't rush to get back to your former life, that may not even be possible. Just take it slow and steady.

Keep us posted.

Clare xx

Hi DBC,

I am nearly a year out from my NASH..end of April.  Truth I could have written what you wrote.

I have found I do better when I work on controlling my environment such as...I make sure I get enough rest, this includes quiet time, my overall function is down when I am either physically tired or mentally tired.

Oh, and don't forget to drink water, it does make a difference and I have way less headaches.

I gave up a part of my job that involved me being constantly moving between different tasks...phones...requests...it was  moving too fast for me when I returned to work.

I don't miss it...I am gradually accepting my new limitations and I don't feel like this is a bad thing as everyone has limitations.  I have those blank moments, but I am finding less when I am well rested.

I also find, as I get more use to this happening, often if I just give myself a moment I can move on.  It doesn't always work but often it does. Time and patience with myself has been my friend.

It is not as it was but it is ok and slowly, oh so very slowly, getting a bit better...Good luck as you continue.

Jean

Archived