Back to Driving - Different countries

Daffodil

HOLY MOLY!!!! You poor people across the pond!!!! In the US I was told I could not drive for 3 months by my surgeon. That was it. End of Story! At about 3 1/2 - 4 months I started to drive a bit around the block. It has been 1 1/2 years and I do highway or expressway driving but have not done major city (Chicago- I can do Indianapolis but it is a small city).

I even had to get my license plates renewed 3 months after all that brain stuff happened and they asked me if I wanted to renew my drivers license while there- plus I had a note from GP for handicap plates and I had a cast on my foot!

This quote is from MaryB member in the US sharing the advice given by her surgeon not to drive for 3 months post SAH. 

Members report different advice but unlike the UK there seems no US wide requirement to refrain from driving. This attitude seems to be the same for Australia as well.

If you live in a country other than UK it would be helpful if you can share here if you come across advice, restrictions or received help getting back to Driving that might help someone else in a similar position. 

• Like 1

• Daffodil pinned this topic
  • Daffodil unpinned, pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I am from the US...I was told my state Massachusetts, (don't know what the rules are for other states) is a self reporting state...I was also told that if you were in an accident and your medical history was accessed it could be problematic.  My Neuro told me personally that because I did not have a seizure and did not become unconscious I was good to drive.  I was very concerned about it, wanting to do the right thing.

• Like 2

Hey Swishy. It is good for us all to hear about rules and regulations in other parts of the world so thanks for your input.

I am not a legally trained (except in Property/real estate matters) but my view is that, to protect yourself (and other road users) you should get WRITTEN confirmation from your neuro consultant that he thinks that you are OK to drive and issue a copy of that letter to your car insurers to make sure they will continue cover. If you do not do this then you are opening yourself to complications if you have an accident and the insurance company wants to be slippery about it.

You may have already done this.

JM

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I am a new member in the USA but perhaps my experience could be informative.

I had my PSAH on April 29 while traveling in Italy and returned to the USA on 18 May. When released from the hospital on 19 June I was told that by state law I could  not drive until six months after the event. But about 3 months after a therapist told me I was perfectly fit to drive. She asked if I had been contacted by our state DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), and the answer was a truthful "no". So I have been driving ever since in all types of traffic with no issues at all.

• Like 2