How much monitoring...?

I have two aneurysm, one which bled and was partially coiled and a further one that is being monitored. I had scans at 6 months, 12 months and 24 months. Last year the neuro nurse phoned me and said everything was stable and so they'd ask me back for another scan next year (she said they'd do it every year "because you're young"....aww thanks!). 

I never got a formal letter from them confirming last year's scan and when I phoned this year they said it was actually on my file that my next scan would be next year and nothing this year.

How regularly do you get scans? Thinking of speaking to my GP about this to see if I can push for one this year.

Thanks

Andrea

My surgeon signed me off and said if you are worried see Doctor who will contact me.

Walked out and never needed him, but there are days we worry, but he did say "No Stress" stress is bad for you.

Or sing Monty Pythons song" Always look on the bright side of life dee dum dee dum dee dum dee dum" Just Keep Happy xxxxx when possible  xxxxx

Hi Andrea

I know it can be a bit disconcerting when you are expecting a certain level of monitoring and then that changes.

My hospital neurosurgeon suggested we scan my very small unruptured aneurysm at 6 months and then at increasing intervals of 1 year, 2 years and 3 years. He said if it had not changed in all that time (6 and a half years) we could safely forget about it. I was happy with that plan - I think mine is quite low risk because I've never had an aneurysm rupture (my bleed was non-aneurysmal).

After the second scan though, I saw a different neurosurgeon who did not want to scan me again at all.  I was a bit shocked to be potentially cut adrift after just 18 months and I insisted on another scan in 2 years time as I'd been expecting. It was a very uncomfortable consultation - he was quite dismissive and insensitive towards me, but he did eventually, rather begrudgingly, sign the paperwork for me to get my next scan.

I hope you manage to get a scan for this year too if that will make you feel more secure. X

Archived