Headaches a year after SAH

Hi Penny

At your stage in recovery, yes I did, and they used to drive me mad.  Although we cannot give medical advice, I know that mine calmed down considerably when I didn't take so many pain killers, but they were just paracetamol, nothing prescribed.  If you are taking pain meds prescribed by your Gp, it might be worth having a chat with them as you could be suffering from analgesic headaches, which ironically enough are caused by pain killers.  Don't take yourself off any meds without consulting the GP first.

Also, make sure that you are drinking at least 2litres of water throughout the day - dehydration plays a massive part in headaches.

Hi Penny,

I was told not to take too much Tylenol as it can actually cause more headaches.  I had what I would call pains in my head, more than an aching head. It has improved significantly but not totally.  I will be 2 years out in May. 

I feel what I term "swishy" sort of feel like I am walking on a boat.  I still have this, truth, doesn't seemed to have changed much.  I will say I have gotten to tolerate the feeling mostly, so I am not as bothered by it as I was.

I am so sorry to read you have these symptoms, they are bothersome as well as worrisome.  I hope as time goes by they get better for you. As Skippy said water is so important, make sure you get enough.

best wishes,

Jean

I’m just over a year out from my SAH now and I do still have head pain/headaches everyday still. Most of the time the pain is just there in the background rather than being a real problem but it is always there. I also have intermittent dizziness - but I was prone to labyrinthitis beforehand so I’m not always sure if it is a new thing or not.

I try not to take too many painkillers and definitely notice an improvement when I get enough sleep and drink more water/squash. I hope that the headaches will go eventually but mostly I’ve learned to adapt to them and am regaining my life more, I think I could cope with this background pain long term if the fatigue were to ease...

Hi Sarah

thank you. The fatigue has improved a little in the last year. Sometimes I’m still up at ten pm!  But often have to try a nap in the afternoon. My shunt adjustment didn’t seem to make any difference in fact balance is a little worse. I do miss my old self. Don’t you?  

Penny

Thank you Swishy and Skippy. I only take paracetamol and not all day. Don’t think it makes any difference. I try with the water. Though def not two litres. Does anyone know if the spine gets affected without any csf?  Why is the water so important?

Water is important for hydration, it actually helps the brain to function and therefore should help with the headaches - I know that if I don't drink at least two litres (even after 12 years) then I'm going to be getting a headache.

Hi Penny,

I’m learning to like the new me, slowly. I have to actively force myself to concentrate on the things I can still do and not long for the past. I’m trying quality over quantity in everything and that seems to be working. I’d love to get through the day without needing a rest or nap and like you I occasionally see 10pm!

i was always really skeptical about the health claims you need to drink so much water but I’m now a full convert (and know where every public loo in my home city is located!)

sarah 

Archived