Is my SAH experience atypical?

Hello all. I am a new member of this forum and a recovering non-Aneurysmic Perimesencephalic Subarachnoid Hemorrhage victim (whew - what a mouthful). I have done a good bit of online research and have concluded that my experience may have been different from most.

I am 77 years old. My event occurred on April 29th while traveling in Southern Italy with my wife. I had a sudden onset of ocular migraine sight disruption. My wife said I complained of headache, but I don't remember that. I lost consciousness fairly quickly after I got into our rental car.

My wife loaded our luggage and drove to Bari where I was admitted to a general hospital but was soon transferred to the neurointensive care unit of the University of Bari Hospital. I was in a deep coma for nine days. After ten more days I was evacuated back to the USA where I spent a month in a rehabilitation unit of a Roanoke (VA) hospital.

After release from the hospital I had about three weeks of outpatient therapy but have been on my own since late July. I am now almost back to my pre-event health and can do almost anything I want to, including hiking in the mountains near here. I still have a bit of a balance problem, but no symptoms otherwise. I have had no headaches that I can recall, even during the event.

Did anyone else experience such a long period of coma? Does everyone have headaches?

I do have a stiff neck, but I had that before the event.

Welcome to the site. You know I cannot give you med advice. I have seen many patients in coma for a long time but it s not from SAH. It is very common to have headaches and the key is to drink lots of fluids, rest, no stress, etc. 

you ll see there are many helpful threads here.

Hi NukeProf,

I had mine in 2009 was out approx. just under a year  I used to talk but remember nothing,  after shunt was fitted to get rid of hydrocephalus I awoke and both me and Daughter had a good cry and we now laugh at the things I said when out of it.

I was in hospital I am told and said to Daughter get my handbag Sarah and she told me "It isn't here Mum"  I told her not to muck about but she told me I wasn't having any of it.  I thought I was in a cafe we frequented instead of hospital bed  ha ha xxx and lunchtime

The OT's gave up on me but not Family was told in 2nd Hospital to put me in a home as I'd never be as was. My Hubby said "No we will take her home"  I was lucky when they gave out hubbies 

Sounds like you have made a remarkable recovery  I had SAH4 and was not as lucky as you ..After being told I'd never walk by my Brain injury team  I can now walk when feeling fine 800 to 1000 yards but then back goes.  Some days I ache so bad I don't walk at all  but I can shower myself and have my dignity back.  Thanks to Kings College and my Family and this site xxxx.   Good luck on your remarkable recovery and we expect aches and twinges but we are survivors ..We are Special  plus I cry easier now. xxxx

17 hours ago, Catwoman23 said:

Welcome to the site. You know I cannot give you med advice. I have seen many patients in coma for a long time but it s not from SAH. It is very common to have headaches and the key is to drink lots of fluids, rest, no stress, etc. 

you ll see there are many helpful threads here.

Thanks, Catwoman. I guess  I am very lucky not to have the headaches.

15 hours ago, CaseyR said:

NukeProf,

I was 62 when I experienced my “event”. I experienced no coma at all. I did have a few seizures. I think the area of the brain affected by the bleed determines the symptoms. Although we all seem to be bothered by cognitive fatigue, short term memory loss, and headaches. You seem to be quite fortunate to have recovered well in a short time. 

Thanks, Casey for adding your information.

I have a friend and also a cousin who have experienced SAH and both were in a coma for a significant period. 

3 hours ago, Winb143 said:

Hi NukeProf,

I had mine in 2009 was out approx. just under a year  I used to talk but remember nothing,  after shunt was fitted to get rid of hydrocephalus I awoke and both me and Daughter had a good cry and we now laugh at the things I said when out of it.

I was in hospital I am told and said to Daughter get my handbag Sarah and she told me "It isn't here Mum"  I told her not to muck about but she told me I wasn't having any of it.  I thought I was in a cafe we frequented instead of hospital bed  ha ha xxx and lunchtime

The OT's gave up on me but not Family was told in 2nd Hospital to put me in a home as I'd never be as was. My Hubby said "No we will take her home"  I was lucky when they gave out hubbies 

Sounds like you have made a remarkable recovery  I had SAH4 and was not as lucky as you ..After being told I'd never walk by my Brain injury team  I can now walk when feeling fine 800 to 1000 yards but then back goes.  Some days I ache so bad I don't walk at all  but I can shower myself and have my dignity back.  Thanks to Kings College and my Family and this site xxxx.   Good luck on your remarkable recovery and we expect aches and twinges but we are survivors ..We are Special  plus I cry easier now. xxxx

I am sorry to hear that you have had such a bad experience. Makes me even more thankful for my good fortune. I wish you the best for continued recovery.

Archived