Hello All,

Got a letter from my neuro consultant to book a EEG for the absences i have been having... he did ask me if i had bitten my tongue the last time and i said no but realised that i had got blood blisters on the inside of my mouth and as though i had bit my cheek..and lines..i have also had nights when i felt like ants were crawling all over me YAK i didnt realise that was a sympton either...

The first absence i had i didnt realise it was anything until the second one, and i had mentioned it to Penny anyway the first one was when my sister was trimming my hair and i was chatting away (wears me out having the concentrate when chatting as well?) and the next thing was she was shouting at me asking if i was ok i said yes why she just said i went quiet little did i know a few weeks later she told me that i was staring and my left arm was twitching...the second one was after a very busy day but pleasant day i over did it and walked far too much partly because i couldnt get a wheelchair hired, later that night i was talking to neil in the kitchen and the next i was on the floor and cannot remember anything about it and the rest of the night i felt exhausted and dithery/shakey ...the blood blisters etc were a week later. I do have odd time during the day when i seem to have missed half hours or so.....

has anyone else had an EEG or absences at all please???

Michelle C.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michelle

I can relate to what you describe, I have been having "absences" for a few months now, the children say it's like I've stopped or been switched of for a few moments. They never last very long though I do feel a little peculiar after them.

I asked my GP for a referral to neuro, when it finally came through it was months away, as I have BUPA I got a private referral and he confirmed sub clinical epilepsy and prescribed anti seizure meds. I'm still working upto full dose so can't report whether it has worked or not yet.

You described your arm twitching, my wife who witnessed one of mine tells me I was twitching and my eyes were jittery...plus I dropped my bottle of beer!!!!!

The problem I had was there was absolutely no warning, in fact I had one when I was crossing the road, I just stopped (I was on my own) I came round to find some irate driver blowing his horn and gesticulating in a very "Friendly" manner, needless to say I scurried off highly embarrased.

Your symptoms do sound very similar to mine, hope the EEG gets to the bottom of it!

Look on the bright side, if they do diagnose epilepsy, you meet the disability criteria and are suddenly protected by the Disability Discrimination Act, useful if your employer is difficult!

Hope you get to the bottom of it

Good Luck

Adam

• 1 month later...

Hi all and thanks for your replies, not been on site for a while.

I have had the eeg done and the lady said i was practically asleep:roll: she did say that they get a better result that way.

Anyway we went to see my new neurologist Mr Khan, rediculous timed appontment 6pm i was totally shattered and feeling pretty rough so i went in my wheelchair (under protest as i am very stubborn) we walked in and he basically said the siezures were none epileptic attach disorder....i have had two more (the last on 1st august) the last two were during my sleep very scary as i woke up with every muscle hurting and asthough someone was pushing my neck and head into the pillow....i just dropped straight off to sleep again and spent the days after totally exhuasted with pains everywhere and a bad head and eye day(nothing new there then!).

He didnt give much info about the attacks and just to make sure i have someone with me all the time.

My other problems my arm, leg pains weakness lack of fine motorskills etc are a mistery to him. He did some pressure test and asked me to lift my left leg which is impossible with or without splint and said we could have a second opinion and that he would do a proper read through of my notes and look at my scan. so there it is????

Any ideas????

Love Michelle C xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Adam

Thanks for your reply and welcome to the site.

You are doing really well in your recovery:-D.

Could i ask did you have a EEG test?

Subclinical epilepsy does sound a bit like my episodes i havnt had chance to look it up yet.

How scary for you and how rude some "friendly" drivers are NOT.

I hope you are doing ok and take care

Love luck and laughter

Michelle C xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michelle

I haven't had an EEG yet, the consultant doesn't seem to think it is necessary, not sure why? He did request an additional MRI to rule out encepolopathy (I think that is what he said!).

Thankfully the drugs do seem to be helping, have only had one "absence" since I reached full dose, so there is some good news :-)

The other symptoms such as "whizzy brain" (don't ask me what that is, it just describes it quite well!) fuzzy head and headaches which he said may well be caused by mis-firing synapses due to sub clinical epilepsy seem to be dissapointingly stubborn and are hanging around!

Hope they get to the bottom of yours soon!

Best wishes

Adam

Hi Adam

Whizzey head i think i know what you mean does it feel as though your minds going through lots of thoughts but not getting anywhere??!

I still have lots if head pain most day....its a good day probably once a week when i get away without taking painkillers.

So glad your meds are working now you are on full dose.

Take care and thanks.

Love luck and laughter

Michelle C

Hi Michelle

Good guess on the whizzy brain...but no prize this time! :-)

Best I can describe is that everything seems to be exagerated and speeded up, if someone speaks to me, it's a bit like Mickey Mouse on speed! Visual stimuli have a similar effect. My doctor and my wife just look at me blankly when I try to explain it!

Come on guys, own up has anyone else experienced this one...without taking illegal drugs :-)

TTFN

Adam