Robert - ongoing issues years after brain haemorrages

Robert semple

Hello,

My name is Robert Semple. In December 2013 i was attacked and subsequently ended up with an intrecerebral and extra axial haemorrhage involving front lobes and left inferior temporal lobe. I also had some bleeding in the front of my head due to the fact my brain had moved and my skull was fractured.

I wrote on here a few years back and the users helped me and i am hoping the users can again.

I have questions that i suppose i need educating on. Firstly, (and maybe naively) just how serious are these? And secondly is it possible that the issues i am having now related to these?or am i looking for something to blame.

I have contacted headway Glasgow today along with my brain rehab unit to again open up discussions that i said i would do before but never did.

Some of the things i experience everyday are acceptance  decision making, tiredness/fatigue, settling/resting, overthinking, mood swings, irritable, separation,anger, ocd, routine and at the moment a big issue is both  panicking/anxiety and quickness of thinking.

All of these have affected my personal life in a negative way and now they are really affecting worklife to the extent i have jumped between seven jobs since the accident .five of these are in the last year.Today i have walked out the 7th because of anxiety and the slowness of thinking which i need in this job.

Any advice or similar stories?

Thankyou.

Hi Robert nice to hear from you xxx

16 years  later I still suffer all of those things occasionally along with brain shakes nausea xxx

Just drink plenty of water rest when you need and try not to worry because it's like a vicious cycle xxx

Type in expert patients programme into the internet it really helped me it's a six week online course xxx

Hope things improve for you soon xxx 

Hi Robert,

I am on a downer also as what could go wrong since my SAH has gone wrong, the only good thing is I didn't die after SAH, Sepsis and Ventriculitis. 

I do hope you pick up soon and things turn around for you remember a problem shared.  To be honest Robert at first I typed all what has happened to me since SAH lol re read it and realised you needed help. 

You nearly got all my problems but then I realised you need to share this and get it out of system so listen to Jess and get help from professionals, you need help and they can hopefully help you.  Let us know how you get on 

Regards 

Win xx Note I use bad language when things are not going right.  I must stop it  !!! xx

11 hours ago, jess said:

Hi Robert nice to hear from you xxx

16 years  later I still suffer all of those things occasionally along with brain shakes nausea xxx

Just drink plenty of water rest when you need and try not to worry because it's like a vicious cycle xxx

Type in expert patients programme into the internet it really helped me it's a six week online course xxx

Hope things improve for you soon xxx 

Hi Jess,

So its possible then the way I am now is still related to the injuries I sustained.Deep down I know it is which is where I struggle to accept.I agree it is a vicious circle.I know a need rest but one of my issues is I also can not sit down.If I sit down I become bored/depressed/start to overthink so I become restless and all the other negatives start to come out  so I choose to always try and be what I regard positive and move forward or be active but this is giving me big negatives.

I am hoping to speak to headway Glasgow at a meeting today.At the moment I am just waiting on them emailing me and also my doctor phoning me.

thanks for the reply

2 hours ago, Winb143 said:

Hi Robert,

I am on a downer also as what could go wrong since my SAH has gone wrong, the only good thing is I didn't die after SAH, Sepsis and Ventriculitis. 

I do hope you pick up soon and things turn around for you remember a problem shared.  To be honest Robert at first I typed all what has happened to me since SAH lol re read it and realised you needed help. 

You nearly got all my problems but then I realised you need to share this and get it out of system so listen to Jess and get help from professionals, you need help and they can hopefully help you.  Let us know how you get on 

Regards 

Win xx Note I use bad language when things are not going right.  I must stop it  !!! xx

Good morning Win,

We spoke before :)  ..well from that point I regained the way slightly but only for a limited time and never followed up on anything I said I would.This is I can only blame on myself. I start to feel good and then I convince myself I am rid of the issues I have since the injuries.The real truth is I now live day by day and what we say in Glasgow is I am "winging each day" i know deep down I am not who I was and I struggle with tasks I never did before.

I am now at a crunch point in my life where this needs to stop and the fact I need to deal with it today is making me very nervy. However I know I need to do it.

I understand how you feel when you say you want to tell me everything.I am very like that too. I think because I build it all up that when I finally let go I want to continuously write on here to get it all out.

Hi Robert, welcome back!

Sounds like you really need some support, I hope that your meeting with Headway and talk to doctor can help you. I suspect that the majority of the problems you describe are related to your brain injury and you need help learning to cope with the changes have experienced.

I have had to change my job twice since my bleed due to stress and anxiety. Where I work now is much better for me but I still miss my old role and the way life was pre-bleed. It's very hard coming to terms with the new normal and I think we all fight against it. Letting go and starting to live as you are now is one of the hardest things to do especially as it was all thrust on us so suddenly. I have had the help of an amazing neuro-psychologist who is still helping me with the transition, I don't know what I would have done without her - probably crashed and burned long ago!

I hope you manage to get some help today, please come back and tell us how it went. 

Clare xx

Hi Clare,

I realise now I really do and will need to take it.The type of job i do as a Parts man requires good memory of numbers and can be at times fast paced which requires a quickness of thinking that I can not handle anymore. When im overloaded I almost freeze and and become so frustrated/embarrased that my mind goes blank.

In truth every role I have done since the accidents give me some form of believe that everything will be better if i move jobs but although the salary is now something im happy with it is still a job i can not realistically handle if I dont get the help needed.

I can not get my appointment with Headway until the 1st of August.I should hopefully hear from my psychologist in the next few days.In the meantine I will speak to my docs at some point today.I am just waiting on them phoning with an appointment time.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks.

I hate to say it but your current job with a need to remember numbers is possibly not your best bet! Prior to my bleed I was known as the walking phone book, I could remembers numbers so easily. Now it takes time and repetition, repetition, repetition - if you get what I mean. The only tip I can give you is write EVERYTHING down. My life has become one long list, but it does help.

Good luck!

Robert it could be a result of what happened or it could be we are getting older and it's just natural xxx

I would say alot of it stems from anxiety hope you get some help from headway I have heard they are good xxx

Archived