What's Next?

Emmi

Just brought my husband home from the hospital. He can speak and walk. They called him a miracle. They kept telling me not to think too far ahead that he needed to get through each phase of recovery to survive. He passed all their tests and then on day 22 they sent him home.

I'm left with a box full of medicines to coordinate and no idea what to do next. He's got double vision, vertigo, fatigue, and memory issues. He's sort of the same, but he's struggling with sadness. I'm not sure how to best advocate for him.

I can't believe the hospital just sent him home with no aftercare plan besides "see your neurologist in a month". Does this seem right? What should I be doing? I expected some plan to help him rebuild his some of the brain pathways. Early intervention no? I'm at a loss. 

Hi Emmi

Welcome to BTG.  A lot of us were sent home with medicine and nothing else - me included.  All I can at the moment is time is your best friend.  Give him his meds when he should have them, make sure he rests and sleeps when he needs to sleep.  There is no point in trying to keep to a sleeping pattern right now; nothing will hold back the fatigue, so he needs to listen to his body and brain and sleep when it tells him to. Also, make sure he's drinking plenty of water - keeping the brain hydrated is vital.

We don't know much about the circumstances surrounding your husbands bleed, or indeed the type of bleed.  Have a look around the site and see if anything stands out.  Don't be afraid to ask us any questions - no matter how silly you may feel they are (they're often the most important).  You will also get a lot more information about your hubby's bleed when you see the neurologist.  We cannot offer medical advice, as none of us are qualified to do so.

Take care of you as much as you're taking care of your husband.

• Like 2

Hello Emmi, and also a very warm welcome to BTG.

It goes without saying that these past three weeks have been the most traumatic and stressful you have ever faced. No-one is really prepared to deal with SAH trauma, and as you have guessed,  there is no easy road map ahead.

However this site has over 3,500 members the majority of whom have been forced to remap their lives as they deal with the fallout caused by SAH. Many have kindly shared their progress and experiences and like yourself asked for help to cope. As a Carer you will find their posts greatly help your understanding of the emotional and physical challenges your husband is experiencing.

When you can find the time, please tell us more about the events leading up to, and following your husband's SAH. in the Introduction Forum.

As Skippy has said...there are some guidelines that you will hear voiced again and again.

Don't expect a quick recovery. Each brain bleed is different and the brain is busy trying to re-route. It needs much time and your husband needs to accept that rest is essential. This will help reduce headaches and extreme tiredness. 

So unlike many accidents and procedures which may heal within six weeks or so, SAH 'recovery' is a long and difficult road. Challenging for you both at every turn.

Don't try and push the boundaries too quickly. Small steps... and set backs are part of this journey. 

Personality and emotional issues are tough to live with and often these can ease considerably over time... with some still seeing improvement after many years. So never give up. 😊

Keeping hydrated seems so simple, but it is so important. Keeping stressful situations to a minimum also helps in these early months.

Skippy also mentioned the need to take care of yourself too. Being a Carer is a challenge that will stretch your own boundaries too as you adjust  to living with your partner who needs so much help, TLC, and support.

Initially accepting that he is no longer the person you knew can be very hard. Do remember that time can heal or improve many of these difficult traits.

So, perhaps you can understand why the medics didn't give you handouts, or a step by step road to recovery. 

There is no standard way ahead. Your recovery together is a pathway which we hope you record in this site...so that your experiences can help others ...

Take care and do keep coming back with questions and seek help especially through these early  demanding months.

Subs

• Like 1

I know I m not supposed to give advice. Not sure how old he is. Does he have diabetes,  blood pressure issues etc. How is he eating? Sometimes they need adjusting. See eye doctor too if not seen in one year. Fall precautions are very important.

Not sure if you have home health where they come to you for physical therapy and vital checks etc. lots of fluids, rest, no stress. See if there are things that need to be looked in to such as weakness, slurred speech, change in mental state etc and please let someone know asap.

You guys have heat wave now so it is very important to stay hydrated not just water but electrolytes too.

• Like 2