Phased return to work

Can anyone advise please, urgently. I have been trying to arrange a phased return since just before Easter. I had my SAH in Nov 2009. I eventually had a risk assessment meeting 2 wks ago. My HR Manager & myself agreed a phased return of 2 mornings starting on May 24th. He said he would post all the details for me to look over. Last Thursday I had to take a form to work to be signed by HR Manager. He said I know you haven't got your letter yet, he said he was waiting for the agreement of my senior manager, but promised he would e mail me a hard copy at home eithet that afternoon or the next day (which was last Fri) for me to check until my paper one came in the post. I am due at the docs in the morning as they want a note for 2 days, which would take me to Mon. I still have not recieved anything in writing, I am now considering just getting another sick note, as I don't want to return without anything in writing, as I know if I do they will push me straight to my old job which is in a stressful customer service dept. I am not chasing them again, they have only been our to see me once since my SAH and no one has ever rang me to check my progress. Am I right in continuing being on the sick until they get their act together.

Hi Jan I would say that you are doing the right thing to stay off work on sick leave as if you return now without anything in writing surely that would be under the terms of your existing contract and they could ask you to do anything, i'd wait for something in writing, that is the way i see it, Good luck Rod

Thanks Rod, I think you are right, I should stay on the sick. To be honest my employer has not been very supportive, they have only been to see me once, which wad in January and have never rang me. I have always contacted them and gone to see them. At the docs at 9.00 tomorrow so will post the outcome.

Hi Jan

I would also say stay off until you have it all in writing...if I could go back in time I would not have returned to work when I did. I was offered a 2 -week phased return, and then back to full hours but I reduced my days by using up holidays... In the past 9 weeks I have only done one full 5-day week but am doing another full week this week.

It is hard going. I am very tired.

I wish I had gone to see a disability advisor or got some help from somewhere, but I didn't feel strong enough at the time to do things on my own, and have not exactly had an awful lot of support from either the medical profession or my employer. I imagined things would be very different. I am shocked by the lack of understanding, and the lack of support. Very frustrating.

Hope you get your letter soon. They are certainly stalling.

Actaully I didn't get a letter either from my work, which I would have thought they should have done... although I did put the info in an email to the HR advisor and my manager regarding our meeting...and the discussion around the phased return.

Take care

Kel x

Hi Kel

You've done fantastic to have gone back to work 9 weeks ago. I know everyone says to take it slow, but when I do return I'm only getting paid for hours worked, which kind of pushes people who aren't ready to go back full time. I have payment protection on my bank loan, which they have said will be paid until I am back to my contracted hours, but my car loans says they will only pay until I reach 16 hrs. My H&S Manager didn't even know what the reason was why I needed a phased return and asked me to explain. I don't think people understand what's happened and how we feel. I saw a friend who I hadn't seen since last summer on Sat, I was telling her how I was, physically & emotionally she said oh I was like that after my op, it's with being in hospital. I could scream sometimes. I think because they can't see anything visible your ok. Sorry to rabbit on. You take it easy at work. Don't go jumping into full time until YOUR ready, never mind what others say.

Hi Jan

I went back to work just about a month ago on phased return

I worked 3.5 hrs per day first week, 4.5 next etc and am heading towards full time

My employer has been very supportive

Since 6th April sick notes from doctors ended and "fit notes" were introduced

My fitnote from my doctor said I would be fit to return to work if my employer arranged phased return over a six week period.

I took my fit note into work and arranged the hours i would work with my manager and HR

See http://www.dwp.gov.uk/fitnote/

for more details about the fitnote

Your doctor can put specifics of your illness such as - she needs a quiet area to work in or she would benifit from regular breaks

This will give you better bargaining powers with HR

See your doctor tomorrow and ask him/her about a fitnote saying what you feel would be appropriate then ring work and arrange a meeting

hope this helps

By the way I am really enjoying being back at work but do find doing a lot of complex calculations tire me easily

But mixing with colleagues has really put things back into context

take care

Di

xx

Edited by Diduck

Hi Jan

I agree with the others, don't go back to work until you haveit in writing and you fully understand what they are expecting from you.

I returned to work in Dec '09 on a phased return. I work in our local general hospital. My manager had referred me to our occupational health service for them to oversee my return. I was to do 6 hours a week, over 2 days and they were not to be consecutive, for the first month. He envisaged my return to take up to 6 months. I was to do what duties I felt able to do at first, consolidate this before I took on more. If I was back working my 35 hours by the 6 months, then good, however, if I wasn't back to 35 then my contracted hours would be reduced.

We got a new manager whilst I was on sick leave. She was furious with what was proposed. Even though I was only to get paid for the hours I worked and she had temps (who has already been covering my hours for the 10 1/2 months I was off!)covering the hours I didn't work. I should add she was a former sister before taking up this post! She wanted me back to 35 hours, on full duties and full shift patterns by the end of March. she put me under huge pressure and I was always being made to feel that I was useless! When I reminded her that I would be having an angiogram in Feb she rolled her eyes and sighed at me! I was signed back off sick in the middle of Feb with work related stress. I wasn't sleeping, had no appetite, would cry very easily and my blood pressure was starting to go back up. There is now an offical complaint gone in on my behalf, by my union. The occy health doc, who is furious with my treatment, has told me that it is not good for my health to go back to that office and I am to be redeployed!

If I were you I would get a copy of the leaflet that the Brain and Spine Foundation have drawn up about SAH. You can download it from their website and give it to your HR manager and your manager. But at the end of the day it will come down to the personalities of the people involved in your return. If they are compassionate then your return will be more positive.

This has been my experience so far but many people have had very supportive managers and had a successful return to work. I'm sure you will be one of them.

Take care

Edited by Liz D
Spelling

Hi Jan.

I returned to work six months after my SAH.

I was told thsat I couldn't without a letter from my doctor, a full risk assesment (as I was public facing in a stressful environment like you) and a signed agreement between myself & my line manager. But I was lucky in working for a government department. So everything was done "as per procedure"

With hindsight I would not have gone back into a public facing environment.

Get the advice from your doctor, the DWP and your HR department. & don't let anyone pressure you.

Good luck

Ern

X

Hello Jan

I agree with all the above! You should stay off until you have something in writing. We all know what bosses are like - their word is not their bond... not until it's in writing! I'm sure your GP will be understanding if you say how worried you are etc.

I don't have any personal experience to share with you re return to work as I was temping when my SAH happened and I'm now on ESA as I'm unable to work. I don't know how long it will take, but I am due to have about 6 to 8 sessions with the neuropsychologist to help with memory and concentration problems etc, so I definitely won't be working until that's all sorted.

I hope you get the support you need!!

Hi Kel

You've done fantastic to have gone back to work 9 weeks ago. I know everyone says to take it slow, but when I do return I'm only getting paid for hours worked, which kind of pushes people who aren't ready to go back full time.

My H&S Manager didn't even know what the reason was why I needed a phased return and asked me to explain. I don't think people understand what's happened and how we feel. I saw a friend who I hadn't seen since last summer on Sat, I was telling her how I was, physically & emotionally she said oh I was like that after my op, it's with being in hospital. I could scream sometimes. I think because they can't see anything visible your ok. Sorry to rabbit on. You take it easy at work. Don't go jumping into full time until YOUR ready, never mind what others say.

I was offered a 2-week phased return, 9-1 the 1st week and 9 til 3 the 2nd week. I had holiday from last year so took the Friday off both weeks. I was then back to 9 til 5.15 week 3 but took 2 days off, then a day each week off to ease myself back. I was also only able to be paid the hours I was 'physically able' to work, and if I needed to take a break during 9 til 1 that would have to be factored in to my pay...!!! My jaw must have been on the floor as I couldn't believe they actually said that!... I said no, cos I thought I will just wander off for a bit every hour or when needed anyway, liek everyone else does!

To say I am disappointed & disgusted with their treatment of me would be an understatement.

I sent a copy of the Brain & Spine Foundation SAH leaflet to my manager back in January who sent it to my team, and then I sent it on to the HR advisor following my appalling return to work meeting... it made no difference whatsoever.

It has been extremely difficult coming back to work. Some people have the capacity to try to understand what I have been through, but others either do not care or just do not want to know. With some, it is as if I was off with a bad cold and I am all better now. I look okay so I must be okay now. I also feel like screaming! :yikes:

When I told my manager and HR that I would have to go back for an angiogram in December they asked how long I will be off for, and did I know that any sickness payment will not kick in again until 14th December this year!! :shock:

My manager also commented on my timing - having been off at the busiest time of the year in our department... I think it was supposed to be a joke but I did not find it funny in the slightest! :crazy:

I am already back full-time, although I did mention to my manager last week that I may need to reduce my hours. She asked for how long...as HR would want to know, and advised that I will need a Dr's letter to confirm this is required...I am seeing a Dr again next Friday so will ask him to draft something then for a month.

I find that when I am looking into complex queries I get a burning sensation in the top RHS of my head... I get a lot of neck pain when I am tired, and have felt like I could fall asleep at work some days.

I hope you manage to sort out a 'proper' phased return.

Kel x

Cant really comment on this as I've never been able to return to work but ditto what others say get it in writing first...

But I dont think 2wk phase return is long enough Kel, when I worked part time before the SAH I worked either 9-1 or 1-5....

Hi Louise

Yep, I can confirm that a 2-week phased return is definitely not enough! It is just lucky that I had holiday left to take from last year... I try not to work too hard, but that's just not me...

I need to find a new direction...

Kel x

Thanks to all for your advise. I was at docs yesterday, she was very good when I explained what had been happening with work. She have me a sick note with phased return and amended duties over 2 mths. When I got home, my letter was e mailed to me. I am starting back on Mon doing a Mon & Tues morning 8.30 - 12.30. Will keep everyone informed of my progress. I'm having problems with my head at the moment. This has just come on about a week & a half ago. My neck is really bad, the back of my head is weird a cross between a numb head and it being in a vice, also getting freeze brain. Don't know why I've just started to get this, it's so annoying and painful.

I had my phased return over a six week period. I had to use up my leave as well. but I was lucky as I had 30 days leave & if I took any more sick leave I would have dropped to half pay. (I got 182 days full pay & 182 half pay then on to SSP) But my phased return was really tricky due to the nature of the job.

I know exactly what Kel means by finding a new direction. that's why I have started a degree. I can't stand my job now!