Hello from Lorraine

Lorraine

Well it has certainly taken me a long time to do this but here goes. I had my SAH in September 2008. I was reading in bed when I felt like I had been hit at the back of my head with a cricket bat. All I remember is crawling around on the bed muttering that something was terribly wrong but having no idea what it was. I felt as though something was squeezing my head tighter and tighter and that it would burst. Then the vomiting started. My family were very quick to call an ambulance and reassure me, but I truly felt as if I was dying. 30 mins later (yes 30 mins!) and the paramedics finally arrived. They seemed to be convinced that I had just a severe migraine and asked me if I wished to go to hospital. This still seems incredible to me two years later since I now know that I was showing a classic case of SAH. Anyway I finally made it to Stoke Mandeville hospital. The medical staff here were very good and knew immediately the problem and put me on the right medication but did not do the type of operation I needed. So a few hours later I was transferred to the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. I cannot praise this hospital enough. Within 24 hours I had my coiling operation and within a week I was home to my family. I think I must have slept for weeks whilst my family took over. Luckily my children are not young so were quite capable of looking after me for a change. Within six weeks I was back at work. I've never had another headache and have no disabilities. I know that I have been extremely lucky as not everyone has a good outcome.

I found this site when curiosity got the better of me and I started searching the internet for any information I could find about SAHs. I had never heard of this condition before it happened to me and nobody in the medical profession seemed able to say why. Just one of those things. If it had not been for this website I think I would have gone mad with the lack of information out there. It has been so reassuring to read other sufferer's experiences and not feel alone.

Lorraine

:-DHi Lorraine and a very warm welcome to you. Am really happy that you have had such a positive outcome and such a speedy recovery. That is good to know.The event is a traumatic one and in itself takes some getting over well done. It is really hard to get information on what has happened to us,there is all sorts of conflicting,often terrifying information and it's good that we have BTG to refer to. I was a long time before I posted. Mine was 3 months after yours.But I popped in and read the posts and got alot of reassurance here. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome, it's nice that you have written your story and a relief that you have not been left with any diabilities.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in the medical profession between migraine and sah which is very worrying. My sah was in Nov 08 and I am still miffed that the paramedics didn't take me to hospital immediately - 6 days later when I eventually got there! But I am here to tell the tale which is what we have to be grateful for.

I wish you well for the future,

Take care,

Sarah

Hi Lorraine

Welcome to the site and to the family. Your story sounds familiar:roll: - I was lucky enough to be diagnosed correctly but was still taken to a hospital where the coiling couldn't be done and then transferred (Derriford, Plymouth).

Look forward to chatting to you more.

Take care of you.