Returning to hospital

Hi everyone,

I have to go back to Addenbrookes on Monday. I have telephoned the hospital to ask what it is about and they say it's just a routine consultation.

I am presuming the surgeon wants to keep a check on his handy work. Am I right?

Shouldn't need the pyjamas. Just a chat! Thats what I keep telling myself.

I'm feeling better by the week so there is little to report, but unfortunately through no fault of the hospitals, it scares the hell out of me.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I re read your initial post and am still not sure how long ago you had your surgery? I myself was clipped rather than coiled so I really don't know how they work it. While I was in the hospital I was seen by the psychologist and the opthalmologist. It could possibly be one of these consultants I guess, or, as you say they may want to check their work. I'm sure if it was anything to worry about they wouldn't let it wait. So you take it easy and try to relax. We are all running back and forth to the hospital regularly on here. Hope It all goes well and keep us up to date.

Take care

Sally x

Hi Pete - don't worry about a plain old consultation. They always call you back for appointments after any op (if you have any queries about how the hospital works, I am a medical secretary by trade, so I know some of the ins and outs!). However, when you are there, I would mention that you have problems with concentration etc. Maybe take a list, that you can jot down over the next few days as the questions come to you. I was very much helped by the neuropsychologist: she did loads of assessment tests so we could pinpoint where my problems lie, and then we were able to work on coping strategies.

Take care!

Hi Pete

Try not to worry, I think they get in touch with you quite a bit in the early days. My SAH was in sept, i saw the neurosurgeon on Dec 6th and got another appointment in March. I think they keep a close eye on you. Its reassuring really!

Karen x

Hi Pete,

After both my clipping surgeries (ruptured and unruptured), I had a standard one month follow up with the neurosurgeon. Each time I brought a list of questions (I didn’t get many answers but that’s beside the point!). The first time, the neurosurgeon checked the cut in my scalpel. The second time, the neurosurgeon (a different one) asked why I scheduled my appointment (because you told me to!).

Like the others say, this is probably a routine consultation so try not to worry too much.

Take care and good luck,

Grace

My coiling was on the 19th of October 2010, so I guess it is a routine visit.

I've started a list of questions, like can I fly (with the aid of a mechanical device that is and not drug therapy). Can I exercise more than just a brisk walk, when can I play my saxophone as I was told by my GP not to play just in case of a build up of intercrainal pressure.

Not many questions I am glad to say as you guys and gals have anwered most of them

Thankyou.

Pete

Morning Pete,

Feeling scared is something that's not uncommon after the SAH event in the early months .... I can remember dreading having to go back to the hospital for routine checks with the SAH Support Nurses ... Didn't want to go anywhere near the place and was filled with anxiety! I certainly wasn't thinking rationally at that time and it's probably something to do with the stress and shock of the bleed and the whole hospital experience.

From what we've seen on this site, frequency of follow-up appointments seem to vary with each individual hospital and patient case .... some people seem to have more and some less, so there's no hard and fast rule really. Hope that you're able to take somebody with you and it will hopefully give you a chance to ask the questions that you need answering.

Good luck and don't worry! :-D xx

Hi Pete

It sounds like your follow up appointment at neuro outpatients. It does seem to differ from hospital to hospital. At Edinburgh Western Infirmary my first follow up wasto be 3 months after the op but it turned out to be 5 months because of a paper mix up. You may not see your surgeon it could be one of his team. Really good idea to write things down.