Hello - I have been having terrible headaches and I noticed after having batternberg cake for breakfast (I know, I know...I got up late and it was just "there" as I was rushing out the door) twenty minutes later severe shooting pains in head.

Sooooooooooo I did a bit of research on the effects of sugar on the brain - I have been weaning myself off refined sugar and products containing it - I still eat fruit - and it isn't easy to find sugar-free everything I don't really want to eat loads of artificial sweeteners.

I've been feeling much better - less emotional and far less pain - the one mistake I did make was to "forget" to have lunch one day - it has never happened in my life before and by the time I realised the pain in my head was awful. A friend of mine who suffers from lots of migranes says she has to eat every three hours to keep the migranes at bay.

Anyway...just thought I'd share xx

Hey there

Head pains can sometimes be caused by low blood sugar levels - so eating small and often is sometimes quite effective in preventing headaches.

I used to use aspartame based sweetners all the time but sine my SAH I can't touch them without getting an unbearable headache - I now use sweetners that are sugar based but low in calories and my headaches practically disappeared over night.

Sami, I agree and low blood sugar isn't helpful .... I also find that if I drink too much diet Coke with sweeteners, then it will give me a headache.... but this has improved over time.

Slow energy release foods, such as bananas and even flapjack are good for a sugar kick. The GI diet looks pretty good, as it seems to help with the fatigue issue.

• 1 month later...
Sami, I agree and low blood sugar isn't helpful .... I also find that if I drink too much diet Coke with sweeteners, then it will give me a headache.... but this has improved over time.

Slow energy release foods, such as bananas and even flapjack are good for a sugar kick. The GI diet looks pretty good, as it seems to help with the fatigue issue.

Karen, what is the GI diet?

Montana1

Well I for one never thought about the link between diet and health for some reason... but since I've started a new low-sugar, low-carb diet, I've been a LOT better (ok, apart from this weekend when i've been laid low with a bug or something!). Refined sugars, white bread, pizza, biscuits etc are also inflammatory and since giving them all up my inflammatory arthritis has been SO much better! I've always eaten fruit and veg, and don't eat much fast food, but I still had quite a lot of refined stuff without realising it.

I suppose if we eat healthily we'll feel better for it. Maybe those doctors are right after all!! :D