Finally Discharged

Hello All,

A little over five years since my SAH and I have finally been discharged by the neurosurgeons :-D I have a small remnant of the aneurysm left which has been stable for the past three years, so I no longer have to go to see the neurosurgeons, Hurrah!

It has been a long slow road, but I now feel as good as I am going to get.

The first year I didn't really know what was going on and it was all very confusing and scary. I could not return to work as I seemed to have lost the ability to add up and being in accounts that is not a good thing! I picked up a camera and started taking a lot of photos, these helped me to remember and it was a good prop to hide behind when things got too much.

The second year I got depressed and spent a few months in counselling which really helped. Headway are also a good source of support

The third year I began to have hope again and started going to a Photography club. I also could cope better in social situations and started going out a bit more, although insomnia was a big problem then.

The fourth year I began to accept that I would always have problems with my memory and need more rest than most! I am now a professional photographer doing what jobs I can ( weddings are too confusing and stressful :-D )

Now onwards and upwards in my fifth year post SAH.

Vivien x

Vivien, thank you for sharing this with us. You've come a long way in that time and made some big changes.

I remember once you writing about the camera being a prop to hide behind when things became a bit overwhelming in situations. I've taken your advice and used it at family gatherings and other large social situations. It works very well!

Congratulations on far you've come in your journey.

Sandi K. Xoxox

Hi Vivien,

Great news to hear that you are now deemed OK neuro surgeon wise. Congratulations. I have a final scan in July next year (at the 5 yr mark) and hope to have the same outcome as you. Although, I still have lingering niggles that if no-one ever checks again, how will I know I haven't got any new ones??? I had 3 and was told it's likely to be genetic & I am at higher risk of developing more. That does scare me. Does this cross your mind too or do you feel confident that you are & will stay ok now? I hope to have that feeling by next year too.

I loved your explanation of how you felt each year, I think it is very realistic and it has been almost identical for me. Reading your post makes me look forward to what year 5 is going to bring!!

Many congratulations,

Michelle xx

Hi Vivien,

Great news to hear that you are now deemed OK neuro surgeon wise. Congratulations. I have a final scan in July next year (at the 5 yr mark) and hope to have the same outcome as you. Although, I still have lingering niggles that if no-one ever checks again, how will I know I haven't got any new ones??? I had 3 and was told it's likely to be genetic & I am at higher risk of developing more. That does scare me. Does this cross your mind too or do you feel confident that you are & will stay ok now? I hope to have that feeling by next year too.

I loved your explanation of how you felt each year, I think it is very realistic and it has been almost identical for me. Reading your post makes me look forward to what year 5 is going to bring!!

Many congratulations,

Michelle xx

Hi Michelle, Yes it does cross my mind still every now and again, I think a little bit of doubt will always be there, but the times I think about it are getting fewer as each year passes and it worries me less. There really is nothing we can do about it, so worrying doesn't really help, although at times that is easier said than done! :biggrin: