Will this nightmare end?

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

I've been doing really well, not freaking out at every pain, staying calm and ignoring it and now I'm back to worrying again. Pre Sah, for ages I suffered pain in left side of head , eye socket and ear, then I got a thunderclap headache, severe pain in eye and a&e said it was migraine (never had a migraine), my gp put me on anti biotics in case it was sinuses, then week later worst headache, collapsed blah blah. Last two days I've had same pain but down right side, again, head, eye socket and ear.

I'm trying to be logical, when I was coiled no more annis were found but fear keeps taking over logic because its so similar. If it were the left side i could probably convince myself that its healing pain. The neuro nurse last time I spoke to her said I'm fixed, she is more at risk now than me but its so hard not to be scared.

Sorry for prattling on... Wishing you all a happy healthy new test.

Lisa xx

Hi Lisa,

I think it's only natural to be as concerned as you are.

My surgery was left side, in run up to my SAH I had bad migraines and really bad pains in my left eye.

Since my op all the pain/ discomfort / aches etc have always always been on my left side. At first I put it down to all the healing. Now I get the pains when I've done too much. My brain giving me a kick to remind me that it has been injured.

However, I did once get massive pains on the right side of my head, I remember stopping in my tracks and thinking 'hey, hang on, this isn't right'. So, I do understand your worries.

If your gut feeling is telling you something isn't right then see your gp or call your neuro nurse for advice.

And hey don't think you're prattling on!! This site is our life lines, we're all here for any questions/ concerns/ advice that we can give one another.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

Have no idea how the smiley got in the title lol.

Thanks Sarah Lou. Decided to go to see gp or I would sit worrying all night. She said I have a virus, fluid in ears, sinusy (is that even a word lol) and rattly chest. The thing is the doc said same thing before Sah and put me on antibiotics. I guess I will just have to trust her.

Lisa xx

Jord. I had no coils but if it helps I have been complaining etc for months and I NOW have a bad cold and my ears hurt etc......... just would of been nice if one of the 4 Dr. I saw would of looked in my ears or said something about my chronic sore throat. I was really feeling rough I do not know if it is all due to this bug but that is where is I am now. Good Luck.

Maryb

Lisa,

Every time I get allergies, I get increased SAH symptoms. At first I was really scared...I say this because I knew intellectually that I had had a thorough check in my brain...but the feelings are overwhelming/overtaking and defy your logical side. I hated this stage, but it did get better for me. Just simple allergies. I've had them all my life. Who knew they'd be so cantankerous now.

Also, I think the over doing it really does exacerbate SAH symptoms as well. It certainly does for me. Some of us learn this right away and some never do as they keep saying to themselves that they should be able to handle the situation (whatever it is) like old times. It's not old times. Be kind and let yourself heal and take a break in whatever form works for you. If it means changing your lifestyle, then change it. If it just means going to a room by yourself every night at 5:15, then do it with out fail. Find your way.

~Kris

We get so many strange symptoms, our brain telling us to slow down, that it needs rest. I don't know if that's what is happening to you - I would suggest going to GP as you have done. Our weird symptoms are often things we've never had before and I find it difficult to explain to my GP what I'm feeling. I've had a chronic sore throat off and on since October. It's not a cold and and I don't think it's allergies. It's more in the muscle and of course I wonder if its something to do with my carotid artery. It's hard not to think the worst and its easier to go there when scary things are all over the Internet. My doc suggested it might be a blocked saliva gland.

I think the best we can do for ourselves is keep going back to doctor when we don't feel right.

Sandi K.

Firstly that is of course happy new year not test, stupid predictive text. Secondly, thank you all. I guess I should try and take it a bit easier but its hard with kids, especially the little one. Mary I'm sorry to read you're not feeling well, hope you feel better soon and you too Sandi with your throat.

It's three months on Saturday since Sah and I havent had a day yet without a headache. Apart from the weeks leading up to it I never really suffered with headaches and they're getting on my nerves now, hope its not a permanent thing.

Anyway hope you're having a good evening. I'm lay on the sofa watching tv with a glass of water woohoo lol. I will make up for it next year.

Lisa xx

Lisa, enjoy your glass of water tonite and hopefully next year we can have a bit of fizzy stuff!:lol: also well done for relaxing more over the last few weeks.

Headaches that i had in the first few months were awful, real hum dingers which felt very strange and scary. Also my first cold was horrible! My doctor was very patient and kind and now when I get one I'm able to have more tolerance about it even if to be honest it still scares me a bit.

Kris says it right. Relax when you can, hard with the kids I know, and expect to get some horrid healing pain ....but anything odd get it checked, you know your body best.

Hi Lisa,

Its perfectly natural to be worried about the slightest twinge.

I had my SAH six years ago & am still freaking out.

This morning I found a burst blood vessel in my right eye:shocked:! It looks horrendous but isn't anything to worry about (or so I am told) .

Luckily, the Mrs is a Dr so I can get her to look me over whenever I find something new or strange. For me that happens a lot because I am so vigilant now and the tiniest change in me triggers a panic.

However, when I exercise heavily or get tired, I do get the SAH symptoms so I know when to slow down & take a break. Although I have noticed that the symptoms are getting more diminished & happen a lot less often.

So it does get easier Just give it a while & things will begin to feel better.

Have a happy new year.

Ern.

Hi Lisa,

I too suffered from severe headaches for the first 4 months post SAH. I still get headaches that range from a dull ache across the back of the head to sharp stabbing pains at random points in my head.

My doctors have never been able to explain them or provide any real guidance on how long I am likely to experience these pains for other than they could be with me for 2 years. I have found pain killers do not work for me in fact they invariably increase the pain (doctors believe I suffer from rebound headaches). I have found the most effective way of managong the pain is to drink lots of water, rest quietly when I can and use the cool 'n' soothe strips on my forehead or back of the neck.

Looking back now I think the worst of my headaches are caused by either overdoing things or anxiety attacks. So as others have advised try to reamin as calm as possible (not easy I appreciate) and drink lots of water.

You are certainly not alone in feeling anxious I spent the first 6 months with my mobile almost permanently glued to my side. The fact that you are coping on your own with a young family is amazing, you are doing really well, each day is another day closer to recovery.

Keep going,

Wem

Thanks as always for all your posts, it makes me feel so much better and I really appreciate it.

Ern how lucky are you having a Mrs who is a doctor, can I move in with you both until I stop worrying haha.

Hope you all had a great New Years Even:razz: xx

It is 5 years since my SAH and it does get easier, the headaches ease off and are not so frequent as time goes on. I don't panic when I get a headache now ( unless it is a bad one!) but I reckon it was at least two years before I stopped getting anxious about all sorts of aches, pains, twinges, weird feelings etc. I have to agree that rest is the best thing, not easy with little ones, but try and get some quiet time, even twenty minutes or so on your own in the quiet can help.

It will get better, just not as quickly as you hoped I am afraid

Vivien x