Hearing

Hi - wonderful site! Was so useful to me when I first had the SAH. My husband found the site then through google He posted then me! Keep up the great work :)

I have just read your first post your put on here in 2010! Bless you, you have been so much!

One small thing that jumped out at me was the muffled hearing - do you still have this! This also happened to me but a few months after my SAH. I still have it now over a year later. I was given a tinnitus hearing aid but it made no difference. It feels like my ear is under water with a slight whooshing sound and some noises/voices sound muffled and echo-y!

I have also just started to find a job, I went to an interview on friday and it seemed to be going well, but as it was in my local village, I told him about my SAH and the interview didnt carry on much longer after that! I will keep trying, not sure what to do about telling people about my head trauma?

You have been very brave and done so very well, sending you big hugs, Linda xx

Edited by Karen
New Topic - Posts removed from http://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?6272-Hi-All-Erin-AVM-Removed-SAH-on-9th-June-2010&p=57649#post57649

Hi linda I just noticed your post about hearing my hearing has without a doubte been affected I have a constant ringing in my head and like you muffled voices like I am not here sometimes. I get really bad vertigo too. Its a total nightmare! Is this ment to be just part of the after effects? Also job situation is the same with me! I didn't tell one of the employers I went to work for and should have only lasted two week as it was a care job on my feet all the time and felt too drained. With me having had a sceizure I feel I have to tell employers but know I will be judged by it and the bleed I feel unemployable now. I used to be so so confident and was never without a job now I just work 4 hours a week back at my old job as my employer knows exactly what I have been through and 4 hours is all I can manage at mo! It will be a year in march and I dont seem to be getting much better! X

Hi Linda,

I have intermittent hearing problems. I describe it as feeling as though my head is in a bucket of water! It has been with me since my SAH 11 months ago, though it is probably an improving picture. Like everything it appears to be worse when I am fatigued.

Drs have not found any particular problem that is causing it, so ever the optimist, I am hopeful it will clear up eventually.

Wem

Bev, Im sorry you have been having problems! The buzzing, echo-y sound in my ears does drive you mad sometimes! I agree it does seem to be worse when I am tired! I have been given a hearing aid but to be honest it doesnt help much, I dont think I will carry on with it because there are more bad things with it than good! Worth a try tho! I do understand what you mean about getting a job - I have no confidence now, I am due to start helping at Headway next week but really dont now how to sell myself to future employers! Perhaps we need a little more time, but Im scared the longer I leave it, the harder it will be?

Take care of yourself and hope to speak again soon, Linda

Hi linda I just noticed your post about hearing my hearing has without a doubte been affected I have a constant ringing in my head and like you muffled voices like I am not here sometimes. I get really bad vertigo too. Its a total nightmare! Is this ment to be just part of the after effects? Also job situation is the same with me! I didn't tell one of the employers I went to work for and should have only lasted two week as it was a care job on my feet all the time and felt too drained. With me having had a sceizure I feel I have to tell employers but know I will be judged by it and the bleed I feel unemployable now. I used to be so so confident and was never without a job now I just work 4 hours a week back at my old job as my employer knows exactly what I have been through and 4 hours is all I can manage at mo! It will be a year in march and I dont seem to be getting much better! X

Hi Linda,

I have intermittent hearing problems. I describe it as feeling as though my head is in a bucket of water! It has been with me since my SAH 11 months ago, though it is probably an improving picture. Like everything it appears to be worse when I am fatigued.

Drs have not found any particular problem that is causing it, so ever the optimist, I am hopeful it will clear up eventually.

Wem

Hi Wem, Im sorry you have it too but its nice to know that other people have it!

Bucket of water is exactly right, although it didnt start straight after my SAH but about 4/5 months afterwards!

Also certain sounds kind of echo and drone in my head and I have some hearing loss in that ear!

Lets keep things crossed that in time it may get better?

Take care

Linda x

I had this at first, but now it's completely gone. I hope it lets up for you all as well. It was so weird and I'm sorry, no hearing aid is going to help because it is kind of like overload, yet not. It has nothing to do with your ear...but your brain. Why they gave you a hearing aid, I have no idea. Probably because like with everything else, they don't know what to do with the likes of us and don't really understand the brain anyway.

~Kris

Hi Linda, After eight years, I just don't seem to notice the constant "after- ring" in my left ear. My hearring is now mono and it can be quite disturbing, when my eyes tell me something is on the left, while my ears tell me it's on the right! I was diagnosed with"Third nerve palsy" a few years ago. This is a condition that a few of us on this site have. The Ani is coiled , then settles against the Third neve, causing double vision and tinnitus. Also, the whooshing sounds, that feel like an internal toilet being flushed! Weakness down my left side........etc, etc....but what I wanted to say you ,is, all these alterations in your being, become normal, and manageable, over time. From the outside, you don't look any different to anyone. With some adjustments, life is still good, and anything is possible. Cheers, Bill.

My hearing issues are sometimes I have buzzing and it sounds like people are mumbling, but worse is noise like I cannot hear the movie over the background music. Or I am overwhelmed at work with phones ringing, people talking loud and all the business of the day. I cannot talk on the phone if there is music on or listen to someone speak. I cannot write and listen to somone at the same time. I listen to 5 CD's the other day while home alone cleaning that was a first for me in a very long time to be at home with music on. I also have to tell poeple to "Shhhhhhhhhhhh" often as it sounds as if they are shouting in my ear and that is embarassing.

Noise in ears arghhhh lol

Sounds like the seashell noise and if my hubby asks me once more "Are you going deaf Win" I'll scream lol

I also get whistling and all weird noises guess its part of healing hence the reason I like to go out shopping,

other noises make me forget my noise and they go away lol who am I kidding I love to shop

Love

WinB143 xx xx

Oh, I'm sorry that so many of you have hearing issues from this but I'm also glad at the same time to see that I am not alone! I have a high pitched sound most of the time now and a "chirping" sort of sound in my right ear. I'm getting used to it (10 weeks out now) but it still annoys me. Hope it will go away completely eventually.

I have a high buzzing sound all the time, at first I thought it was my shunt but that makes more of a whirring noise :lol:

It's so annoying.

My question is do you think the constant drone could affect the quality of sleep we are getting? is it like sleeping with the TV on? I'm so tired when I wake up in the morning even after a lengthy sleep. Thoughts?

Lastly is there anything anyone has found that eases it, is it a form of tinnitus ?

Daff,

Interesting questions - since my SAH I have struggled to wake up every morning. I used to make my Dr appts mid to late morning so i could be reasonable alert. I just thought it was my brain needing more time to recover from sleep, but maybe it does have something to do with the quality of sleep?

I haven't found anything that eases it, but I have found it is worse when I am grappling with fatigue.

Wem

Its been fascinating reading about your hearing problems. Mary, I agree with you in that I love to be outside or shopping, I get distracted from the buzzing, indoors its just hard to cope with sometimes. Television doesnt seem to help although I have lost some hearing in one ear so struggle to hear what is being said and the tele just drones in my head! I will have to look into the third nerve palsy Bill, because I know nothing about it! Also the sleep quality Daff, never thought of that! Look forward to others comments xx