Hot shower on the head for pain relief

Like many people who post on this site I have a constant headache that varies in intensity each day and from day to day depending on my activity and the general stresses of life. Analgesics only ever provide some relief, never have they stopped the pain. However there is one thing that I have found to provide sudden and profound relief and that is hot water from a shower running on the centre of the top of my head. The relief is almost instantaneous and continues while the water is running but stops within seconds of removing my head from the water. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone got an explanation as to why this happens?

Best wishes to all on BTG.

Tony

Tony,

Yes sometimes that works great for me. ALso soaking in a hot bath as well.

As a person with fibro I get news letters & magazines from one of the sites that really is doing some great research on pain, finding cures etc offers lots of feedback as well. I always repost it on my FB page as pain is pain and it is interesting how it all works. The name is called Fibromayalgia Network, you may want to look it up as I find that their research can help almost anyone in chronic pain.

Nice to see you here again!

Maryb

the fontanel bone on the top of the skull is thought to absorb and release energy from ancient times. Water is cleansing and may be one element that you need to absorb more often. Try a foot soak (water and salt) and see what happens. This is more ancient wisdom rather than scientific so...I'm not sure which you prefer.

~Kris

• 3 weeks later...

thanks tony, i'll be trying that. i had SAH last april and i get head pain most days, horribly if i have so much as a sniffle, just hope that my MS can cope with continuous heat on head (MS can cause overheating). great suggestion though! thanks again. :wink:

wendy x

I really like the ice cap I got from Amazon, and plan to order another one. My husband says I look like Magneto and offers me spoons to bend, but I don't care. It helps the pain. I'm at work right now, miserable, and wish I had one. I'm a teacher who teaches a half day program for students who want to start their careers in IT. We had snow today so late start so I'm here with no kids. My afternoon kids will be here in 45 minutes. I really just want to go home and go to bed.

Do you notice any difference when the weather changes? I had my SAH in Jan of last year and weather changes KILL me still.

The pressure and weather has been researched in Fibro and it is real as most suffer during exteme changes and season change.

Also working for a veterinarian we also see many dogs with their owners complaining on weather changing about their dogs limping etc.... strange but true!

Weather changes really affect me. Interesting I think? Has research ever been done on the effects of air pressure changes with the brain ....

Hot Wheatie bags are in most rooms in my house and I always wear a hat in cold weather now.

I remember my neurosurgeon mentioning that she had read a study that people who had had an SAH could be more sensitive to changes in air pressure.

It's gotten so bad we've talked about saving to move. Like most people in the US right now, unfortunately the housing market is so poor we'd have no equity so we'll have to wait.

I really like the ice cap I got from Amazon, and plan to order another one. My husband says I look like Magneto and offers me spoons to bend, but I don't care. It helps the pain. I'm at work right now, miserable, and wish I had one. I'm a teacher who teaches a half day program for students who want to start their careers in IT. We had snow today so late start so I'm here with no kids. My afternoon kids will be here in 45 minutes. I really just want to go home and go to bed.

Do you notice any difference when the weather changes? I had my SAH in Jan of last year and weather changes KILL me still.

Hi Teechur, the most significant cause of head pain and fatigue is when I do too much. The challenge can be knowing when to stop, and I am not good at that as my wife constantly reminds me:-D. As for weather changes, I can't say that I have noticed anything with that but then again our weather is pretty consistent here with relatively slow changes in barometric pressure. A strong cold front is due to cross over us tonight, the first one in many months, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Best wishes

Tony

Well the cold front has passed over last night and boy did my head pain fly up! Without having read about the effects of weather I would have been at a loss to explain the sudden change, and it was sudden. The pain escalated over about an hour to the highest it has been for weeks and is still with me this morning - is about 6.30 am here. Our brains really are very sensitive instruments!