Driving Restrictions and Untreated Aneurysms being monitored?

Hi Guys,

As many of you will know my medical history and that I have a neck left on my aneursym post surgery (which I'm being monitored for any change) ... but, I'm allowed to drive.

Out of interest, as it's a subject that has cropped up over the last couple of days, how many of you are driving with an untreated aneurysm/post SAH, as in being too small to be treated, but are being monitored?

Hi Karen, I'm a new member, I have a small untreated aneurysm which I haven't reported to DVLA yet as my licence has already been surrendered due to epilepsy.

I am concerned though that even when the epilepsy is considered to be under control, and I would normally be able to apply for the return of my licence, the aneurysm might cause further complications with the licencing authority.

Dave

Like you karen I also have another anneurism being watched in addition to my coiled large one with its neck and of course James Shunt. I am presuming that the questions asked by the DVLA have been satisfactorily answered after they reviewed my medical report from my consultant and as of yesterday they are happy for me to drive with no restrictions based on knowing I have all the above.

It is all a little curious. The best source I found was the link to the document I posted on the other DVLA thread. That is pretty comprehensive as to what would be grounds for medical removal of license. My other quandary is I haven't worked out whether my insurance will be affected. That's probably a whole other thread.:lol:

No worries Dave and yes, I am the same Karen! Warm welcome! :-D Thought that the question that you asked me via email, was an interesting one and something that hasn't been brought up here before .... so I thought that I would do a quick post!

Daff, I know that there are a few of us on here, that are in a similar situation with an aneurysm being monitored, but allowed to drive ... I think that Kempse (Sarah) is another one of us.

Re: Car Insurance, I was told that they can't discriminate by increasing the cost of the policy if you've been declared medically fit to drive by the DVLA? ... if they did, I would probably go elsewhere with my money. However, it's better to declare it, rather than give an Insurance Company the excuse not to pay out if you need to claim. xx

Hi, Karen is right - I am one of those who has an unruptured aneurysm that is being monitored and I drive. I guess that whilst ever the neuro experts decide it is safe to leave an aneurysm untreated, then the DVLA can't really argue about it being unsafe to drive. There must be hundreds of people driving on the roads who have aneurysms, but are not aware they have them.

I did mention it to my insurance company at the time, but it didn't alter the premium. Having said that, I usually shop around for cheaper car insurance at renewal and I'm not sure whether I informed my current company:oops: - another thing to add to my 'to do' list:roll:

Sarah

I haven't got another anni but just wanted to mention about insurance.

I rang hubbys & my insurance co when I got my licence back, there was no change to the premium & they told me they didn''t even store the info about the anni on the computer. Their attitude was if the DVLA said I was ok to drive then that was good enough for them!!

Medically it was down to my GP to ok the driving, she had to get a letter from my neuro & from the eye clinic before she gave the go ahead. For me the DVLA advice seemed more grey than black & white as my anni didn't rupture but then my case is pretty unusual.