Good description of effects of a SAH

Not sure if this is one of our members story but there is an excellent description of what having a SAH feels like and the shorter and longer term effects on the Brain and Spine Foundation site. I also found their booklets excellent post SAh and have called their helpline a number of times.

Here's the link to it http://www.brainandspine.org.uk/subarachnoid-haemorrhage-short-term-and-long-term-effects-memory-concentration-irritability

Thought it worth sharing.:-D

Hello DD,

Thanks for sharing this. I agree with just about all of her statements and it helps to see other people put it on paper so that maybe someday the aftercare people will get it. But i definitley feel the same way as what she stated. Thanks.

David

hi Daffodil and David,

yes it's a familiar story isn't it and many of the statements resonate with us. It is difficult to get the message across to those who haven't suffered because you can't see, touch feel or smell our condition, but we definitely need more people to recount their experiences to get the message out there. Especially about the longer term after effects and the virtual lack of support mechanisms to help us in our everyday lives, and with emotional support to cope with the after effects of the trauma. The degree of injury is also very relevant and although I am very lucky to have made the recovery that I have, my heart goes out to those less fortunate than myself - even though I have issues, they're not as bad as some. I wish i could help more - any suggestions anybody?

Daffodil, thanks for sharing this story with us!

Macca

Thank you for sharing Daffodil!

I read much but saved it to read more later. I tell you this week of getting over any type of a long day or physical day is on my last nerve! I wish I did not like working hard. I am so trying to pace myself but ...... I am so trying hard to pace myself but.............I am so trying..........:lol:

Macca, You do not realize how much you already do with your wise words and support in here. You remind us all everytime you pop in and are so postitive even when you do not feel very positive.

I feel instead of working and doing more harm than good for myself, I would better suited helping in a support group with adults or children it would be such a better use of my time. I just cannot imagine doign anymore than I am while working as my husbands load of household chores is much bigger now. I really have not much life out of work. I cannot use up my energy.

Maryb

Edited by MaryB

Hi All,

I have said this before but what's new (Win repeats again) so here goes.

When I had SAH I also had other complications and my Alan had telephone number of a male nurse. No laughing !

He was so helpful to my Hubby and someone you could call when my Al got worried about me.

He (Nurse) was helpful to my Al and I saw him when out shopping, I never recognised him before, because of

hydrocephelus.

I said thanks to him for changing my Al's mind as Al didn't want me to have shunt put in and he told the male nurse , who in turn told my Al to hold on before making a firm decision.

My Surgeon called my hubby and the rest is history, I had shunt and am as good as new.

Slight exaggeration on my part. But my brain works and I can now talk the hind legs off a donkey.

What I am saying is my Hubby got help from hospital and I am grateful for that.

Love

WinB143 xx xx and the nurse was a looker lol x

Maryb,

thank you for your kind words - but I don't feel like I am helping enough and wish I could do more. I never thought I had that effect. I'm a bit of a physical wreck now, I used to be quite athletic (though I say so myself - and no, I haven't been looking in one of those warped Blackpool mirrors!), but now I feel quite frail and puny. I get tired very easily even though my hormone treatment has worked, I am still not back to normal - when was I ever? , my Sandra says!!

Thanks Mary, that almost made me cry - not quite, but almost!

Win - you really are an inspirational character -despite your experiences you have an indomitable spirit shining out, rapier fashion, like a magnesium flare in the dark. I take my cap off to you, but I can't think of a song at the moment - sorry!

Stay strong ladies!

Macca

Hello,

Aw Macca you old softy. Yes we miss your wisdom on here. You're like a college professor or something. What I wish is that there was more education in the medical community as to the after effects of an SAH and how we have trouble getting back to being a normal member of society.

After everything I've learned and read here, I know more than the doctors and nurses and could help future SAH'er adapt to life after SAH. Someday that will happen but probably not soon. I think that SAH is so rare that theres not enough of us to care about when others have cancer and other illnessed. Just reality.

Mary you and I could be a traveling Nurse team. Take care of others.

Win you show us all the courage to move on through this monster and do with laughter and song.

Rather ranty this week arent I?

David

Oh yes, I would make a fantastic nurse. MY sister in law in California (her husband was in that horrible pile up fiery car accident in Sacramento a year and half ago that I had just got back from seeing and the next day had my SAH) well I had word she was taken to hospital with chest pains in the middle of the night and they are still running test. Her husband had to testify for the second time yesterday. SO you know how I deal with stress? I took a nap and literally put my eye blinders on and never left the couch because I cannot bare the thought of anything happening to them. I go ahead and stick my head in sand to protect it! All my energy for the day drained right out me and I must protect myself.

Macca, You really do make a difference. I agree with Davey that you are like a professor or “something”.:-D

Funny what we need to do to make it through the day sometimes.

I can hand out the buckets to put over our heads when needed.

Maryb