does counselling help!!!

Guest hellie

Guest hellie

My mum is now approaching her 2 year anniversary. She is so angry and some times says she thinks it would have been better if she hadnt made it though. I am at my wits end as is my Dad. Has anyone had experience with counselling? Does it help? Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Helen

Hey Helen

I had counselling within weeks of my SAH. I was diagnosed as having Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome but it was so severe that I was referred to the inhouse counsellor at my local GP practice. For me, it helped immensley. My counsellor talked me through my feelings and how I used to be before the SAH and made me realise that I didn't have to be the person I was before and that I had every right to feel angry at what at happened. I had an hourly session once a fortnight (but was told that if I needed more then this would be arranged). I had about four sessions in total and am convinced that had I not had the counselling that my mental state would be a hundred times worse than it is now. Don't get me wrong, I still have down days and am still angry - but the counsellng helped me come to terms with what happened and to accept the person I am now. I'd recommend anyone to have counselling - it's like being able to unload everything onto a perfect stranger and know that they won't judge you and you won't upset them or make them feel bad for the way you're feeling.

Hope your mum gets to talk to someone as I'm certain it would benefit her.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

Sami xxx

Guest Robert

I have been getting counselling for over a year and I would say that it has been a help to make things more bearable.

However, I would also add that the doctors have had difficulty distinguishing between ongoing problems from the SAH and a depressive illness which may have resulted from it. I was given counselling as part of the treatment of the latter and I couldn't say that it has made me "better", i.e. feeling as well as I did before the SAH.

I understand that I was fortunate in being able to get counselling on the NHS as I believe it is difficult to get in certain areas, and people have to rely on the private or voluntary sector for treatment.

I would certainly recommend counselling, but on the basis that it may not be the cure for all your problems.

Guest hellie

thank you Sammy and Robert for your replies, first thing tomorrow i am going to speak to mums GP and see what he can do.

thanks again

love Helen

Guest yasmin

my Doctor has also recommended I have councilling but the waiting list in my area is 9 months unless I want to go private which I can't afford, I think that had I been sent for councilling when I came out of hospital I wound have coped a lot better with my emostions.

i hope that the waiting time is less in your area

Yasmin

Morning.

Heather and I have had excellent results from counselling. We see a guy at Headway. Because Headway is a charity it has been free for us to visit and have sessions.

I can definately recommend it. If its unaffordable try Headway or other charities that are out there.

See ya.

Andy

When I was in the rehab hospital I saw a phycologist twice a day to start with then as an out patient, I dont remember anything of what was said or talked about, but I think that it helped with the way I think about it now.

Yes I would recomened it totally..... :roll:

Take care

Louise.xx

Hi Helen,

I'm currently trying to get counselling for myself. This wasn't something that was readily offered, I have been referred via my husbands health Insurance but if that doesn't work out my new G.P as offered me a session at the clinic. This was not offered by my previous G.P The general feedback I've had is why do you need counselling. As in Sami's case I feel we've (our families too) be through a very traumatic time.

I'm lucky in the sense I've not suffered depression but I am still very angry about the course of events that led up to the last SAH.

I think everything is worth a go. I understand competely were your Mum is at. You are over joyed that your Mum is still with you but she is grieving for the person she feels she was.

The difficulty with having all this time to think is we (I certainly) over analyze things. I feel my personality has changed massively but my loved ones say not. Depending on how sorry I am feeling for myself that day i will either choose to believe them or not. I saw a NeuroPyschologist. She did remark that my confidence had been severely shattered, and this can fuel the frustration and Anger.

Good Luck with things.

Its alway good to talk.

Aine xox

Hi Helen,

If I can remember correctly from your earlier posts, that you felt that your Mum was having difficulty in coming to terms with things?

I wish that you could get her onto this website, as I'm sure that it would help her.....

Anger, I think, can be a natural reaction post SAH, as long as it's not out of control ..... I would imagine that she feels as though life has changed beyond all recognition and that she doesn't feel in control or have the options that she once did. I can also have moments of anger and depression, but knowing that you're not alone, is half the battle.

If I was your Dad, I would make an appointment with her GP and have a private talk with him/her ..... she could be depressed and if they're a good GP, they'll be able to help...

I'd go along with Andy and say get yourself along to your local Headway. When I went I was quickly bumped up the waiting list and found myself with my own "Clinical NeuroPsychologist"! She helped me work through the way I felt as well dealing with coping methods.

They opened the door to aftercare in a way that the Wessex Neuro couldn't. Headway should be a first port of call for both carers and survivors of SAH, after all we have all suffered a major head injury. (something else that is over looked IMO).

Cheer

Scott

Great advice as usual guy's and that's why this site is here xx ..... I just wish that the option of "talking to someone" was given as part of the treatment, once we're "fixed" ..... we really shouldn't have to get to desperation point before we find it ....

Guest hellie

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

I asked Mums GP to look into Headway for her about a year ago and he did nothing, but gave me antidepressants. I have also asked to talk to him about Mum but he wont talk to me without her consent, i do understand that patient confidentiality is behind that.

I didnt get chance to speak to the surgery today as i work fulltime. I think perhaps it maybe best if i contact headway myself and hope I have more luck with them directly.

I will let you know how we get on.

many thanks

helen x

Helen,

I'm not surprised to hear that about a GP .... which saddens me and angers me at the same time... I can understand about patient confidentiality etc, but I'm sure that he/she could listen to your plight without them having to disclose anything about your Mum.

Good luck with Headway and thank goodness that these types of organisations exist... xx

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have taken Mum to see her GP today, what a Pratt !!!!!!!

He was more interested in palming Mum off with anti depressants than helping her with a referral to Headway. He didn't think they would be able to help her.

Luckily Mum has responded well to the idea of going for counselling so she told him she wanted to try it, and he is now going to send the form in for her.

I have spoken to our local Headway and they have a workshop in a local town, but we needed a referral from a social worker if not the GP, and as Mum used to work with social services she didnt want to go thought them.

So its fingers crossed right now, waiting to see if he will send the form away.

Just talking about it has really helped.

many thanks to you all xx

Pratt doesn't even begin to cover it!!! My GP was excellent and refused to prescribe ant- deps until I had spent time with a counsellor. Luckily for me he knew what he was talking about.

Why is the answer to all problems that GPs don't understand to fill us full of drugs??? Surely it's about addressing the symptom not masking the cause!! :twisted::evil::twisted::evil:

Sami xxx

My thoughts exactly Sammy. I am still fuming over how the Idiot spoke to us yesterday. I am going to give him a week and if he has not sent it,then I am going to try and get Mum to change surgery. gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the whole thing is so frustrating. I am determined

to get this sorted one way or another.

love Helen x

Hi there

Good luck with Dr Pratt - hope your mum doesn't get disheartened by thois though - make sure you keep fighting. I'm sure sometimes they do it just to see how much you really want the service.

Take care and big hug to you and your mum

Sami xxx

• 2 months later...
Guest hellie

good news!

Mum has an appointment with Headway next Thursday.

She went back the GP last week and asked him why she had not heard anything yet, he said he thought she had been bullied in to it. He is such an aggogant ****!!!. Anyway Mum said he filled out another form asking why she hadn't heard from them yet, and hey presto, an appointment comes through. I can't help but think he didn't send the original form off.

Thanks everyone for your support. Especially Karen x

love Helen x

Guest hellie

The whole experience has been a little confusing , I thought you could refer yourself but when I telephoned Headway they told me I needed a referral from a social worker or GP. I think its something to do with funding, it maybe different depending on your location. I will see what I can find out today as Mum has her first appointment.

love Helen x