WORK ISSUES

Guest troopersway

Guest troopersway

Hi all, really catching up on posts tonight but also want to see if anybody else is having the issues I am regarding work. I work for the government in Managment and returned to work just 8 weeks after SAH. I am very fortunate that my office is in my house and was able to work around travel as I had a driver until I got my licence back. Working from home on my own has been great, take rest breaks when I wish and work at my own speed, I was 1000 mph pre SAH so I have been able to cut some slack without affecting my achievements. I had a TIA just four weeks after discharge whcih has left me with weakness and numbness. In July this year I was up north with work and collapsed whilst taking a rest break in the car, subsequently spent 9 days in hospital, bleed trace in spinal fluid but none found on scans so diagnosed as an acute migraine. Out of hospital and came into work only to be sent home for another week then on leave, my boss a good friend is very caring! However I have just this week had two days back in hospital as my numbness and weakness got much worse and became constant, GP referred to A&E as I think they thought I was having a stroke but thankfully was not. My biggest problem now is that I feel "labelled" as potentially poorly and that my work, for all the right reasons are making adjustments for me, for example I have overseas travel to undertake later this year yet they are keen for me not to travel!!! I have tried to explain that allowing me to work is part of my recovery without been pushy, I even had to get a doctors note to say I was fit to fly!!!! This is positive discrimination, in addition I am fed up with every telephone call to a collegue starting with "how are you feeling" - My point is if I am in work I am fine!!! However, in reality I may be having a bad day but I do not want work to know this!!! A vicious circle with me adamat I must work, I enjoy my job and it takes my mind of everything! It is not easy working but I find that if I have a productive day at work I have done well whereas, a day on the couch with pain, fatigue and weakness in limbs is giving in!!!! I know not to push myself and certainly do not have work pushing me, quiet the opposite!!! In a culture where most people would be glad of time off on sick watching daytime TV I find myself the opposite, let me work and let me decide what I can and can not do!!!! Just sounding off !!!! however on a postive note I have booked a work based course through my boss - Positive action for Disability!!!! This will help me I am sure.

Bet many of you are thinking I am doing too much! Believe me I am on a 50% reduction with everything post SAH!!!!

SOrry to moan and groan, expect this is part of the up and downs of living post SAH!

Kind regards all, your posts are a great support - keep smiling!

Guest troopersway

Realising that some of our members may not have been able to return to work feeling a bit bad now for complaining about issues at work!!! Forgive me if you are not able to work, I only am as I work from home, goodness knows what I would be doing if I had to go out to work!!! Sorry if my harping on about work issues causes any anxiousness to other members unable to work! With all the problems trying to work can cause I sometimes think not working may be an easy option but I am not giving up that easily!!!!

Take care all

Hi Nikki

I returned to work at about 7 months post SAH and gradually increased my hours to 30 then in August this year realised that it was too much for me and had to reduce down again. I found that when I worked more hours it was taking me all weekend to recover so I didn't feel that I had any real time to myself.

Janet x

Hi Nikki

I hope you are keeping well,

I love to work but at the moment i don't think i will be until mid next year, i will be going into hospital for coiling for the other aneurysm next week and i know that i will have to take easy.

Everytime i mention that i love to go to work part time, my family are shocked, they keep telling me how can i think of going to work, i know that i will not be able to work over 16 hours a week but i feel i might be able to just a few hours a week, i can give it go at least.

Don't feel bad, with your work experience in relation to SAH it is also good to know what situations each person encounters with work after SAH.

Myra xx

Hi Nikki :D

I am not back to work yet....thought i would be.....and want to be.....but not quite ready yet.......i will be soon. I hear what you are saying and can see how frustrating it must be for you, hopefully things will get better in time. Take care love Tinaxx

Hi nicki

I would love to go back to work, but unable to drive at the moment, I would be more than happy to work at home for some of the time, perhaps I'll suggest it! hopefully it will be a phased return after christmas - I work for Local Education Authority. You take care and enjoy the concern. am sure your company are just looking out for you.

Love

Caroline

Hi Nikki

I'm amazed at how quickly you got back to work after your SAH. I had my SAH in November 07 and it was over 6 months before I went back on staged return and I've been full time for the past 4 months or so. I'm only beginning to gain my strength and it was a real struggle at first and I had to go home and fall into bed. I was nowhere near ready to go back to work 6 months after my SAH but I decided to go back as will probably be made redundant soon and I wanted to get back to my job before it ended.

Before I went back to work my boss came up to meet my OT at the rehab hospital I attended for 6 months (as day patient). I found that really useful as my OT went over all my deficits and there was a very long list of them. It meant my boss was much better informed and in turn my colleagues were, and so everyone has been really understanding since I got back.

I think it's good that your boss is understanding. SAH is very serious and it's good they are looking out for you a bit more than usual. My work is the same and I think "long may it continue!". I used to work incredibly long hours at times but wouldn't be up for that now and it's not expected of me right now.

Best wishes

Anne xxx

Hi there I wasn't really ready to return to work however I had no choice they told me either come back or leave so not really to good had sah september 02 op other side clips jan 03 back at work march 03 so cannot really help as my bosses haven't been brilliant exactly. Jess.xxx

Hi I went back to work after 3 months and then was back off for 5 months because I went back too earkly, then did 2 weeks part time and was back off for 3 months! I now have a new full time job doing education research instead of teaching and am much better, although I agree with Jan that it takes me all weekend to recover!

Finding the balance to work and health has been really difficult for me so I wish you lots of luck

Love

Laura

xx

Hey Nikki

I hear you!! I feel the same way. I love my job and if I can't do it then I wouldn,t be there. People are only to eager to pre-judge you and its so unfair. You feel that you are no longer who you once were, but "that person who had brain surgery". Some people no matter what you have told them still believe that you are going to have a relapse at any minute. Just be honest with them and say this is how you are making me feel....

hugs

shiree

Hi Nikki

Like you I went back to work after 8 weeks and crashed out after 4 as they were asking me to do full time and I wasn't ready and I went through hell for a year ... they even tried to use a Capability policy to get me out but the boss didn't reckon on my fight and with the help of HR and the union I'm still there, though not in the same job. I was actually working for a clinical department in the local NHS trust when it happened and had only recently started. I could not and still can't believe the stigma around brain surgery.

What I would have done in hindsight, had I been paid, would've been to take six months off and then go back on a part-time basis for the next 3-6 months. You can only go on how you feel - and I was eager to get myself back up and running but looking back I really was pushing it. I reckon it took me 2+ years to get through most of it although I achieved a lot in that time and it wasn't wasted but I think I put myself through a lot of trauma and grief on top of what I'd already gone through and if someone had been there to take care of the bills and help me with the house I would've pulled back a bit. I run the LFM just a year after the second coiling and did it again this year and now run regularly as I find it helps keep me calm and I try to be less "driven" though still find it hard.

We're all different, just this is my story and if there's anything you can take from it which will help,that's good.

Good luck take care.

Lauren

PS I still get the odd bit of s**t from managers if I show the least sign of stress (never mind that it might be them causing it) but I keep HR and Occupational Health on side as part of my support process and I'm going through it again now as I've been mismanaged of late by a new manager who is pulling out the "brain injury is she all right she's so stressed out" chestnut out the bag, so I guess it goes with the territory now.

Guest troopersway

Thanks all for your messages, very encouraging and I am starting to think that I have gone back too much too soon, however, things have changed having just come out of hospital, (3rd time in since SAH), had complete loss of sensation down right side again on Monday and was admitted for scans, home Thursday! and like an idiaot was back in work on Friday - paying for it now as resting all weekend. However, I am going to take some advise and cut myself some slack at work and let them fuss, it's only a job and nobody will thank me for killing myself! Take care all, love Nikki

Hi Nikki

Hope you're feeling a bit better. What I've learned is that it's me who has to be responsible for taking care of myself as if I pretend I'm ok when I'm not it all comes crashing down eventually. I'm still trying to learn the old "less is more" mantra.

Good luck

Lauren x