Stay strong!

As we all know, this experience isn’t always fun. It can be extremely difficult to wake up one day and everything in your life has been turned upside down. If I had to take one thing from all this: never stop trying. There will be victories. There will be more tears but those wins will be all the more sweeter. 

So what’s my recent victory? Before all of this PMSAH/CVST stuff I was a ultramarathoner. Loved it. Now the thought of it scares everyone who loves me. But we, the survivors, have to keep moving forward. Have to keep living, for if we don’t, what do we have to live for? So 2 weeks ago I did my first marathon back. Absolute glorious day and although there was no personal record, there was a huge victory over my illness. It felt so good those final metres of the over 42000 I’d plodded out. 

I’m lucky and I know it. I’ve recovered well but I still struggle at times, physically and mentally. I don’t expect I’ll ever recover completely and there’ll be hard times ahead. I’ll get through them tho, safe in the knowledge that if I stay strong and keep swinging, those little victories will be there. Good luck to us all and may the little wins be the sweetest ones of all!

Well Done Crazy,

I only fast forward the TV when Marathon was on and was tired ...

Well done another tick in things you have achieved no matter what time it was. I stood today for 6  minutes today approx.  xxxx 

Hi Crazy, huge congratulations on the marathon, I feel your pride!

Your post sounds very like my journey. I too am a runner, was actually running when I had my bleed. When I went back to it 4 months after my NASAH people kept asking " why are you running?" " doesn't it worry you that it will happen again?"

My longest run is nowhere as far as yours, my challenge was the Great South which is 10 miles. I completed it 18 months after my bleed and wept when I crossed the finish line.

Running has been my saviour. When I am stressed I run, it's the one thing I don't need to tax my brain doing - just my feet and legs! I run with a group and we all run and chat - so we aren't going to win any races. We all say running is for our mental health and the fact it helps with physical health at the same time is an added bonus.

I too struggle sometimes, even 4 years down the line I am still accepting what has happened to me and how it has changed my life. But as you say the little victories are the sweetest and bring the most happiness. I hope yours continue and that you manage many more marathons.

Clare xx

Great work win. We get those victories where we can and they’re all sweet.  Well done xxx

You get it Clare. I actually feel better after a run. I need it to help me get better. Well done xxx

Well done to all of us. Keep swinging!

Wow, Congratulations Crazy, on completion of a marathon. These wins will certainly be sweetest. 

May I ask you when your PMSAH was?

I had mine in Jan 2019 and I have registered for a half marathon in August. I am able to run walk upto 10 K now (though my husband doesn't allow me to run alone anymore and my pace is no where near what it was earlier). I was actually looking for some inspiration and found your message. Thanks for that.

I keep visualising my finish line. Hope I will be able to cross the line.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Chris. Can’t keep us runners down! Great work mate!

AMI, I had my PMSAH July 28 2018. You will get to that finish line mate. If you can get to 10k now, you’ve got it. Just be ready for a smile that you can’t wipe off your face and a few tears as well. Well done!

Archived