distorted taste

I've written about this before but just wondering if anyone else on the site has experienced problems with distorted taste since their SAH. I find it hard to eat still as most food either tastes bluemouldy (bread,cereal) or like rotten eggs (veg etc). I tend to stick to dairy products which taste normal or other bland foods like mashed potato. I also have a bad taste in my mouth all the time. I think my taste has improved a bit since my SAH and I know now to stick to bland food and I've put on the weight I lost.

I saw my GP this morning and she said there was no one she could send me to for further investigation on this as the neurologists and dietician have drawn a blank. She thinks nerves in my taste centre in brain were damaged during my rupture and if they repair, they will do so very slowly and it would take 2 to 3 years.

This problem gets me down sometimes and I was wondering if anyone else has it or has heard of it? I've heard of people losing taste and smell, but if anything my sense of smell is very strong but a bit distorted too.

Best to everyone

Anne

Before my SAH I had a strange smell! somedays worse than others it used to really bother me. Went to the docs but all they said was that the nose was very sensitive. My taste has changed slightly, not so good as used to be, also have more sugar in drinks now.

Caroline

Hi Anne,

I'm hoping to include this subject in the new project that I'm doing ..... I lost my sweet tooth after the SAH and can't eat very much that is sweet and my sugar content, has definetly been reduced (just wish that the weight would reflect it!) ... I also had sensitive teeth after the SAH and could barely brush them .... I don't think that this helped either ....

My sense of smell has also heightened or perhaps it's my brain playing tricks ...... I can often smell burning or bonfire ..... especially at night .... it's weird, as nobody else can smell it .... but, it could be linked to seizures, even though I don't have them now, well, at least I don't think so.... but I've read that a burning smell can be an indication....

Just thankful, that I don't suffer what you do ...... will get back to you on this subject on the forum xx

Guest ElaineW

My mum definitely has a distorted taste 8 months post SAH. She is always saying she would not know what she was eating unless she could see what it was amd that everything just tastes bland. She has also seen a dietician and is under the Rheumatologists for possible Sjorgen's syndrome as she has no saliva which makes it incredibly difficult to swallow too. I agree that the taste thing is probably something to take up with the Neuros but mum is due a lip biopsy in a few weeks time to either confirm or otherwise Sjorgen's syndrome. I know my mum will have every sympathy for you as she is always complaining about it. Hope it does not take the 2-3 years as suggested to improve.

Elaine

I haven't suffered with distorted taste but find that I now eat a lot of foods I never would have before my SAH such as chillies and stronger spicier curries. Karen my sense of smell seems to have heightened forever thinking that I smell gas in the house.

Janet x

Thanks everyone. I'll look forward to hearing more about your project Karen. I was coping quite well mentally with my taste problem last autumn but when I went to stay with family at Christmas I found it very difficult to cope with eating normally and I must have seemed like the house guest from hell though everyone really understanding.

I dread going out for meals as the taste can be so hard to withstand though I'm fine when I'm at home where I can stick to bland food/dairy products.

I would say this is the ongoing problem I find most difficult to cope with

since SAH but I think I'll just have to change my outlook. I asked the neurologist about a way to prevent me tasting or smelling anything as I thought I could handle that better but apparently no such treatment.

Sorry for moaning on but I feel quite isolated with this.

Best

Anne x

Thanks everyone

I'm trying to change my outlook on my taste. (New Year resolution starting 1 Feb!) I'm going to try to put the problem to one side and try to focus on other things. My fatigue and even my memory have improved quite a bit over past 6 months and I think that if taste improves it could take a long time. Meanwhile am going to enjoy the few foods I can.

Best

Anne x

• 1 month later...
Guest Cyberhorse Mel

YES YES YES

I know exactly what you mean :-)

My taste varies according to how I feel - sometimes food tastes bland and some times it doesnt taste like food at all - and sometimes it is very strong. I use this as an indicator that my senses are on over load and try to quieten things down. I went on holidays to India wiht my husband last September and was so over loaded that in teh end all I could eat was banana and bland plain biscuits - everything else just wouldnt go down - I lost weight :-)

I cant eat lamb any more and I used to love it - but now it is far too strong and tastes like rotten meat.

I cant stand the smell of meat cooking - but I can eat it once it is cooked.

A nurse told me that this may be due to the association of the smell of the cautery during the operation - makes sense.

I never used ot have an issue with food at all, but now I am more fussy and I sometimes sit down to eat something and after a few mouthfuls I cant eat anymore - it just doesnt taste right.

I guess it was just part of my brain that was injured, and I guess considering who lucky I was to come out with very little result of the SAH, then this is a small price to pay. I would rather have my taste affected than any of my other senses.

Hi Cyberhorse Mel

Yes your experience is a bit like mine. I have to follow a very bland diet and never really vary from it as most things taste very strong and horrible. For the first six months after my SAH I had a really heightened sense of smell but that has died down a bit and so I think my taste has improved too. I did try to fight it at first and kept trying things which I used to like, like pasta, toast and curries, but it really got me down and now I find I'm much happier sticking to dairy products, unlevened bread, fruit, potatoes, porridge etc.

Yes Karen, my GP did a blood test recently to look through the results for anything I could be lacking eg zinc, which might be contributing to taste problem but all my vits/mineral fine. She is pretty sure it was damage done to my taste/small centre during the SAH. It may still improve especially as it has already started to improve a little.

On the plus side, my shopping bills have gone down and I haven't much need to do any cooking.

Best

Anne xxx

Hi there

Not the same really although food yes, I find at times things smell off especially chicken and once I think that I just cant eat it, for the fear that it really is off.

Sometimes by the time Ronnie gets in I've worked myself up into a right state and I just cant help it. I can go for weeks and it dosnt bother me, isnt it so weird....

Hope things are going well for you Anne by the way....

take care

Louise.x