the shunt and sickness

Hi here i am again sorry to keep asking questions but my wife had a shunt fitted saturday and this is her first day home this morning after breakfastshe sicked it all up again doc came in again and gave her an anti nausea tablet and she is now sleeping has anyone else had these sickly feelings after having one fitted and can anyone tell me if the shunt takes time to settle and this is what causes tne sickness sorry to be apain but i feel as though i must learn as much about this to be able to help merrill thanks again Rod

Hi Rod,

Never worry about asking questions, that is why these BTG forums are so fab cos everyone was to offer each other support.

Unfortunately though I can't help with this shunt question as I never had one.

There are people on here though that have shunts so they will be able to help.

Sorry

Laura

xx

Guest ElaineW

Hi Rod, my mum didn't have a shunt but she suffered terrible vomiting for about six months or so after she came out of hospital. No cause was found, she was going backwards and forwards from Neuros to Gastros and it suddenly stopped as quick as it started. I certainly would not wish to alarm you but if it continues I woud ring her Neurosurgeon just for peace of mind, and they may carry out a lumbar puncture just to check everything is OK. They did that with mum a few times but everything was fine but as I say she did not have a shunt so it may be different. Great news that she is home anyway.

Elaine

I have a shunt but I am sorry I can't answer your question as I can't remember anything about it at all.

I would have thought that if a shunt needed to settle then your wife would not have been discharged until that had happened.

What did make me very sick though were the painkillers I was sent home with.

Hello Rod, good to 'see' you although your reason for being here may not be a happy one :cry: I hope that your wife is feeling slightly more human now that she has been able to rest. I honestly don't know if shunts cause a degree of sickness, all I know is that I have a shunt and am being sick more than I have previous to my SAH. One thing I'm pretty sure about is that the intervals do get longer in between bouts. Hope this helps at least a little :)

Hi Rod

I felt quite nauseaous and sick for a fair few weeks after I left hospital and I didn't have a shunt fitted. I think someone has already mentioned the painkillers which I think was what was causing my sickness. Hope Merril starts to feel better soon love to you both.

Janet x

Hi Rod

I have a shunt but dont know how I was after it - sorry....

If you get concerened about it phone the ward or the nurses help desk for neurology sorry cant remember what thats called, but Ronnie my husband was told any worries or concerns to do that...

again not much help.....

take care

Louise.x