Abnormally Low Calcium

Hi,

I had my blood test this morning and at about 5.00pm this afternoon, the Doc rang me to say that the hospital have recorded an abnormally low level of calcium in my blood.

He wanted me to go in there an then, but dinner was cooking away and my daughter needed collecting from her boyfriends.......I still have a life to lead....as most of us do. Well, that was my excuse at that point not to face the music.

I'm going first thing in the morning for more blood tests......it could be a kidney problem or thyroid.......I can remember reading up about both when I first typed in those lethal three letters "SAH" ...... still not sure whether knowledge is good or bad....but hey.....too late now.

I've had nearly two hours to calm down, but still haven't faced the kids or eaten.......I've actually been feeling better in myself this month, so ****** typical, I wasn't expecting this at all ...... will let you know how things go.

Love K x

Hi,

Just had my 2nd blood test this morning and now awaiting the results of that one. I really hope that the test yesterday was incorrect, as the thought of having another spell in hospital doesn't do much for me at all and my "dizziness" is heightened at the moment, probably just because I'm feeling stressed.

Anyway, away to do some work and I will hopefully get back on the message board later.

Hope all is well with everyone,

Love K x

Hi,

Well, good news.....my blood is now showing a normal calcium level.....so, no IV drip or hospital stay. What a relief! Just have to wait until next Thursday to get my thyroid result. Looking forward to having a good night's sleep!

Have a good weekend all,

Love K xx :D

Hi Louise,

I certainly slept much better last night......having to have a drip didn't bother me, it was just thinking about going into hospital again and the disruption that causes to the family.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the other test results will be okay and I should find out by Thursday next week, but it's weird how quickly life can go from being pretty normal to everything being up in the air again! It serves me right for saying that life was quiet at the minute....I obviously spoke too soon!

I hope that all is well with you and wishing you and Ronnie a very happy New Year.

Lots of love,

K xx

Hi Karen

Ronnie & I wish you and your family a Very Happy & Healthy New Year.

I didnt do as good as you by the way at my Night Out, Ronnie had to phone the Taxi to pick us up half hour before it was due, it was ok till they started all the music that the kids like now however we had the taxi booked for midnight & we got home at 11.59pm so I didnt feel too bad about it.

It was a good night though I really enjoyed myself.

New Year is just going to be quiet though, we normally have people up on the 1st not this year Ronnie's working the 2nd I'd howling a gale & lashing with rain just now, I dont know if they will cancell the Fireworks or not tonight.

Well Have a gid New Year 'Slan juh va'

Louise.xx

Hi Louise,

You did pretty well to last until that time with your night out! I must admit that some of the "newer" music, drives me mad.....perhaps it's also a combination of old age + brain haem! :lol:

We're also going to be having a quiet evening and new years day....the kids are out to parties tonight......it's only 6.10pm now and I'm tired out....just hoping that there's some good tv on later, but I won't hold my breath!

Thanks for the Scottish greetings! I think that a few of the firework displays down this end of the country will also be cancelled.......the weather has also been foul.....heavy rain and high winds in the last couple of days, last night I thought that the roof of our bungalow was about to cave in.....think that I would prefer it to be colder but brighter.

Anyway, a happy new year to you and Ronnie, lets hope that it's a healthy one!

Love and hugs,

K x

Hi Karen,

Happy New Year!! Sorry you had that scare with your blood work. Gaaaa!! Hospital... no fun!!! Anyway, sounds like it's going to turn out well. Maybe if there are some fluxuations in Calcium it can be controlled with supplements?? Same for thyroid too?? Don't be insulted, but our dog went on thyroid and it made a new puppy of him! haha. He was lethargic and gaining weight and depressed and the thyroid pill changed all of that in an instant. Anyway, just a thought. Perhaps these indications in your bloodwork wouldn't mean hospital stays.

And while we're on the subject.... here's a thyroid question for all of you.... My acupuncturist here is from the UK. She tells me that a "normal" range for thyroid in the states is considered to be anything at 5 and under, whereas in the UK they consider anything at 2 and under to be "normal". This leaves the question of course about whether there are a lot of people here that could be helped by thyroid treatment that aren't getting the help they could. If so, I would be one of those, as my results read over 2. Anyone over there familiar with what numbers to watch for in your bloodwork and what requires treatment? If my lethargy, depression, and weight gain can be helped by a pill, I'd sure like to know about it!

I just read my horoscope for 2007. It indicates a year of creative dreams coming true. Oh my. Now I feel the pressure to do wonderful things. :)

xo,

Annie

Hi Annie,

Happy new year to you as well!

It was looking as though I would be put on a Vit D intravenous drip, if the 2nd test showed the same results as the first......luckily they didn't though. I've been getting cramps in my legs and feet, also some "pins and needles" in my left hand, but mainly when I'm asleep. I also had some "twitching" in the muscles below my eye for quite a while, but nothing horrendous. I used to get a lot of this weird sort of stuff way before I had the SAH, so didn't think much of it until the Doc asked me. Hopefully, it's sorted itself out, but should have some more results on Thursday re: Thyroid. No offence taken about your dog ...... I certainly wouldn't mind taking a pill, if it makes me feel like a "new" woman!!

I haven't got a clue about the Thyroid range......it's all new to me....I wonder why it's so different between our two countries?

I haven't got a clue what my horoscope for 2007 is ... what star sign are you? Anyway, your horoscope sounds very apt for your line of work.....perhaps another book?

Catch you later,

Love K xx

Hi Annie,

Happy new year to you as well!

It was looking as though I would be put on a Vit D intravenous drip, if the 2nd test showed the same results as the first......luckily they didn't though. I've been getting cramps in my legs and feet, also some "pins and needles" in my left hand, but mainly when I'm asleep. I also had some "twitching" in the muscles below my eye for quite a while, but nothing horrendous. I used to get a lot of this weird sort of stuff way before I had the SAH, so didn't think much of it until the Doc asked me. Hopefully, it's sorted itself out, but should have some more results on Thursday re: Thyroid. No offence taken about your dog ...... I certainly wouldn't mind taking a pill, if it makes me feel like a "new" woman!!

I haven't got a clue about the Thyroid range......it's all new to me....I wonder why it's so different between our two countries?

I haven't read my horoscope for 2007 ... what star sign are you? Anyway, your horoscope sounds very apt for your line of work.....perhaps another book?

Catch you later,

Love K xx

• 3 years later...

Hi Karen,

I was just wondering if you ever found out about the twitching? My left eye also twitched a little before my SAH, but I have found in the last few months that it is twitching anywhere from a couple to over 5 times a day. I look in the mirror and it doesn't look noticeable to others I think, but it is very annoying to me! I was hoping that it could be something simple like a vitamin deficiency. Does/did your eye twitch on the same side as your SAH? And has it gone away with any of the medications you are taking? Thanks.

Hi Jod-Dee,

The cramps and twitches have definitely improved since taking a Calcium and Vit D supplement twice a day. I can't remember if the eye muscle twitching was on the side of the SAH, but it seems to have disappeared now..... touch wood! :wink: I also used to get, quite severe leg twitching and foot cramp, especially when I was in bed, but that has certainly lessened and I only get those now, on the very odd occasion.

It might be worth getting yourself checked out with a blood test to see if you are deficient.

Good luck! x

• 2 months later...

Hi Karen,

Have been taking calcium plus vitamin D for about a month now (along with all the other vitamiins and supplements that I have been meaning to, lol). I can quite happily say that the eye twitches have all but disappeared! Just the occaisional one when I am pretty wiped out at the end of the day. :biggrin: