So worried about my husband

On 27th July my husband was due to have surgery on his shoulder in the late afternoon. He awoke at 6.30am that morning saying he felt that something had popped in the back of his head and when he tried to stand everything was spinning. I was terrified and wanted to contact the hospital to cancel surgery, but he was insistent that I didn't.

After sleeping for a couple of hours he seemed a lot better and so he went into hospital, the operation went smoothly and he was discharged the next day.

However, ever since he has been feeling dizzy and nearly falling over when he bends his head a certain way. We thought this was some kind of inner ear infection or balance problem and would just go away.

On Wednesday he felt quite bad and so I took him to our GP, who sent us straight to A&E as he wanted a scan carried out. We sat there for six hours and eventually he was admitted to the hospital. The next day he had a CT scan and an MRI scan and both were completely normal. I was so thrilled and felt happier than I had for days. This was to be very shortlived though. I assumed they would let him come home, but the consultant was insistent that he had a lumbar puncture just to be certain that all was OK. Even the doctor doing the lumbar puncture thought it was just academic and the results would be fine and I set off for home waiting for the call that I could go and collect him.

Instead of this I get a call saying he is being transferred to Frenchay Hospital that very night because there was blood in the sample taken.

I am just in pieces - total shock - like I am in some surreal nightmare that I can't wake up from. I was so glad that he got through the shoulder operation OK, as last time he had an operation it was very traumatic and something went wrong with anaesthetising him and he hasn't been able to talk for nearly two years.

When I spoke to the hospital earlier I was told they are going to do a CT angiogram.

I am just so scared that I will lose him, I don't know what treatment he will need and how safe it will be. It is nearly two weeks since the initial bleed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

Welcome to BTG so sorry to hear about your husband it must be a very anxious and worrying time for you.

The Angiogram they are doing will allow them to locate the area of the bleed and also if it is an Anuerysm will show them where it is. If it is an Anuerysm they will then be able to decide on the best method of treatment.

If your husband does need treatment the Neurologists will explain the procedure to you both and the Neurological staff will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Please let us know how your husband gets on my thoughts and prayers are with you both at this really traumatic time.

Janet x

Thank you for your reply, I am just sitting here reading everything I can find on the subject, which probably isn't the best thing to do.

What is even more frustrating is that my husband has been taken to a hospital 60miles away, so I can't even get there on a regular basis. I know that he is in the best place and that they have a good reputation for neurological problems, but he just seems so far away.

It is reassuring to know that people do recover from this terrible thing.

Hi sorry to hear abour your husband and i am sure you are afraid of losing him just as i was with my wife in March but my wife had two annis one coiled and one clipped and i can tell you this was the worst week of my life but she's doing well and many people will tell that we have all felt like that and things turn out well, i too read all i could about this subject but be warned careful what you read, iread things that kept me awake night after night but now in our fifth month of recovery i realise that not everything iread was well informed and not everything i read applied to my wife, so read away as i'm sure you will but don't let it frighten you as everyone is individual and you will probably look back in a month or 2 and this will all be just a bad memory good luck and keep us informed Rod.

Hi,

Sorry to read your news about your husband. I went over a week before they diagnosed my SAH as well and they had to move me to a hospital to carry out my coiling.

The neurological staff will do their best to explain everything to you and put you at ease the best they can. It will be a worrying time for you but we hope thatwe can support you here on BTG and we will try to answer as many questions as you have.

Try to look after yourself too

Love and hugs

Laura

xx

Hi! For sure this will all be worrying for you there is probably not a lot that is worse than the unknown! For sure your husband is in the right place as these guys will really know what they are doing. Sorry that you are so far away from him, visit when you can and in between try us for size, the best part of this site is that the majority of us are survivors, it has been hard but we are all up and running:-D Hang in there and ask all you want to, we will be thinking of you :-D

Hi, I had to wait nearly 2 weeks after my bleed for my brain to reduce in swelling before they could clip me....please try not to worry, easy to say i know...but they will be watching very closely, he is in the right place. You take care, i cant imagine how scary it all is for you....thinking of you.

Love Tina xx

Thank you all so much for your replies, it really does help talking to people who understand.

My husband is having the angiogram tomorrow. He has to stay on his back until tomorrow and is on tablets to bring his blood pressure down, I don't really understand why this needs to be done before he has the procedure. I suppose then they can decide what the best treatment is.

I am still feeling very stressed, which I suppose it understandable. I am going to contact my GP and ask for a sick note, as I just don't feel able to cope with work at the moment. I don't think I have ever had one before, do they get funny about giving them out if it is not you who is the sick person? Would be grateful to know.

Many thanks again.

Hi

Your G.P will be able to give you a sick note once you explain the situation to him you'll have no problems. Its understandable that work is going to be the last thing on your mind at the moment.

Really hope that the Angiogram shows what the problem so your husband can get the treatment he needs quickly. My thoughts are with you both.

Janet x

I have just spoken to him and they took him for another CT scan earlier because they thought there was a weakness on one side - whatever that may be? However, all was OK thankfully.

His blood pressure is now well down, which is making him feel very tired, but apparently this is necessary for the angiogram that is being done tomorrow. Is this procedure safe? It sounds worrying having a wire inserted in your groin and fed right up to your head:shock:

I do find it very comforting that I am able to speak to him on a regular basis on his mobile phone, rather than just having to phone the nurses station for updates - it is far more reassuring to be able to have a few words every couple of hours and really helps with the fact that I am so far away.

Hi

The risks attached to the angio will be explained and i am sure they are minimal. I have had an angio and it was absolutely fine. I was worried before it but was easier than getting a tooth out.

Most people on here have had them done and mostly we worried before it then wished i had believed the people who told me not to worry.

Thanks for that reassurance. Seem to spend far too much time worrying about "what ifs"

When something like this happens it certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it? All of the trivia and totally unimportant things that seem so important are just nothing. It is so true that good health is the most important thing of all, far more so than money and power which most people seem to value above everything else.

I really think this will make me stop and re-evaluate.

Yes i agree.

I quickly after about 4 weeks, tried to read via internet about what happened to me. It scared me stiff so i agreed with my wife to ask my consultant about it and try not to be a self taught student.

My life is so different after my injury and yes i am better for it as i don't take anything for granted and make sure i tell the people around me how much they mean to me.

Stephen

Guest ElaineW

Hello and welcome to this site whoch is full of helpful info just at times you need it. I am a carer and the not knowing wait is an awful time, My mum was in Frenchay Hospital it is one of the best for Neurological conditions, the care my mum received was second to none. Do keep us posted, will keep everything crossed for you and your husband.

Elaine

I just tried to phone my husband and he didn't answer so I panicked and phoned the nurse. She said there had been some slight changes in his condition, in particular a weakness in one arm and is in the high dependency area being monitored more often.

I am now in the depths of depression again, totally stressed and thinking the worst. She said they are intending to do the angiogram tomorrow morning and, dependent on what they find, will do some coiling if required.

It is like being on a rollercoaster, I just seem to calm down a bit and then it all comes crashing down.

Awful night, don't think I slept at all. Just lay there feeling like my heart is trying to burst out of my chest. I can't seem to stay out of toilet last few days, continual upset stomach - I think I am going crazy.

Have thought about going to the doctor to ask for some medication, but I don't want to be drugged up to the eyeballs with something like valium.

Sorry to be moaning, just feel so terrible and frightened.

Bless you....i do feel for you....i think it is a good idea to go to the doctors. Hope that all goes well today for your husband...will be a very worrying time for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care Love Tina xx

Edited by Tina

Hope all goes well for you and your husband today, my thoughts are with you.

As the person who had the SAH ( 2 years ago) I did not realise how upsetting and worrying it was for my family and friends as I really didn't know what was going on and treated the whole thing as kind of a big joke, strange how the brain is affected! I actually spoke to my son about this recently and tried to reassure him that I am OK, I think that my family still worry about my health, and I tend not to talk about how I feel in case I worry them more.

Anyway, your husband is in the best place and hopefully will be sorted soon :)

Vivien x

Hi I to am a carer and understand everthing you say you are feeling, a rollercoaster ride is just what this is but it does'nt mean that things will always turn out for the worse,I experienced exactly the same as you are feeling but what i did learn is these people who look after those we love are brilliant so be reassured they are very good at what they do, all the best Rod

Today he was supposed to have the angiogram and they were also going to do any coiling necessary. However, got a phone call this morning saying they were not going to give him a general anaesthetic after all, but just do the angio under a local to see what showed up.

I am now totally bemused because they didn't find anything! No sign of damage or anything nasty, which is great, but what caused it in the first place? He said the doctor told him it could have just been a very small bleed - small burst blood vessel or suchlike.

If there is nothing wrong then why does he still feel so fuzzy headed and off balance, mind having said that he hasn't been able to stand up for days. Believe me I am not complaining that they didn't find anything, but I am just nervous that whatever it was could happen again.

Guest ElaineW

As others have said you are not alone with your fears and worries and as carers we see things from a different side of the coin. I can certainly relate to the stomach problems!!! Perhaps you could ask for an MRI scan which shows is a deeper image! to try and put your mind at rest a bit. It is scary when you don't know the cause for what has happened.

When they do a coiling procedure they often go up through the groin to the head (marvelous really - they did that to my mum) so this is very common.

I am sure they will keep your husband in if they have any further concerns, see if you can make an appointment to speak to one f the doctors, it usually takes a few days but there will be someone who can reassure you.

I agree try to keep yourself off any drugs, they just blanket the problem, not solve it. Honestly you will come out of this a stronger person and ready to face things easier.

Elaine

Guest michelle39

Hi, I just want to say your husband is in good hands.

I was taken to Frenchay in January for a coiling and the staff were fantastic.

I had my SAH in January and I am now on the road to recovery. While I was in Frenchay the staff could not do enough for me. Try to think positiive. If you have any questions ask they will be happy to help and put your mind at rest.

Michelle x