Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Kerryb

Quadrantanopia

Kelly    2

Haha. Thanks ClareM I will let you know. Xx

Anne - I am interested in your comment ‘ specsavers were great in advising how to take the test and produce a better result ‘

I too took the Esterman visual field test at Specsavers. I wasn’t able to produce ‘better’ results. 

Thanks

Kelly. 

Anne Mc    3

Hi Kelly,

I was told that I needed to prove I had 120 degree span. He said to do this do not focus on the orange light, focus on a point to the left and below the orange light. He said this was acceptable . My loss is lower left so that is why I was advised to focus left and below the orange light.  I paid for the test, to go private it is only £20 and you get 3 attempts.

I sent the results to DVLA last week, don't know how long it will take them to review my case but when they got the original test they were mega fast with the big 'NO' decision. 

I am on a mission now after watching the '90+ year old driver' program.

Fingers crossed.

Anne

Kelly    2

Hi Anne

I see. I waited 7 months and the dvla have said now they want an independent opthamologist to see me. My loss is upper right. I missed this programme. Johnnie mentioned it as well. 

Goodluck Anne. 

Anne Mc    3

Hi Kelly,

Here is a bit of back ground to my case.

I had the ‘stroke’ under general anaesthetic when I was 39 (gall bladder removal). I was very healthy. When I woke I was completely blind. After an hour or two it cleared to leave me with quadrantanopia. Needless to say I had to surrender my license immediately and have never driven for 18 years. I was a single parent at the time and life was very difficult.

I am now 58 and have started playing table tennis, quite well actually, so it got me thinking that if I can do this surely I can drive, so I reapplied  - Which I did in early August. They sent me for and eye test (I have 20/20 vision) and a fields test at specsavers, this was on the Monday and on the Wednesday I got the letter rejecting my application. Very quick!

So……..I thought I would go down the exceptional case route and arrange the test I have referred to in my previous post. (where I have no missed points within the central area). This will be the extra medical evidence they say they need.

I am hopeful they will reply soon but sounds like I might have a long wait.

Reading the previous posts I am quite positive but also annoyed that I haven’t done anything sooner. For years I have researched this condition, the following link being a point of reference:-

http://www.moorfieldsresearch.org.uk/orntemp/Quality/RGov/Guidelines/drive.htm

They say:-

‘Where the driver has obvious field defects such as a homonymous hemianopia or quadrantanopia then no confusion arises and the licence is refused’.

This statement is incorrect!

Also with modern technology and driverless cars surely there are adaptations that could be made to make driving possible.

Another tip is not to use comparison website for holiday insurance. They ask if you have EVER had a stroke but if you go to the insurance company website direct they ask if you have had a stroke in the last 2 years. I only realised this recently.

Good luck to everybody

Anne

• Like 1

Kelly    2

My goodness Anne. I have just had my gallbladder removed. 

I was 34 when I had a stroke. That was two years ago. I had an Heminanopia that improved to a quadrantanopia after a few days. 

It’s now static. 

Let’s all keep our fingers crossed.