Light & Morning headaches

:crazy:

Hi all

It has been nearly 5 weeks since my SAH. I was wondering did anyone have pain in their eyes from bright lights and does it get easier in time. I have to have all the lights off in my house in the evening and only lamps on. :shock:

I also wake up with headaches every morning that wear off through the day. The headaches come and go through the day but it's when I go to sleep at night they are worst. I'm wondering if it is because I'm lying down. Sometimes I feel like going to bed sitting up. :shocked:

Norma xx

Hi Norma

In the first few months bright lights were a real problem it will get easier with time. I also found my headaches were worse at night but think it was the anxiety that made them worse in the first few months.

I now find that bright lights only bother me if I'm really tired but I do find going to the pictures or Theatre quite hard and any type of strobe lights still hurt my eyes and give me bad headaches.

Hi Norma,

Yes, I suffer the same....

I try not to sleep completely flat now and use a normal pillow and a V pillow to keep my head, neck slightly more elevated. I have nearly always woken up with a pressure feeling in my head and a headache and both improve as the morning goes on and once I'm upright .... I also take a couple of Paracetamols before I go to bed and that seems to help with the morning head.

Light sensitivity is pretty common. Like Janet I still experience it and it's normally made worse if I'm tired. It does improve though with time. xx

Hi, my partner had an SAH 6 months ago and although he didnt seem to be affected by light he did and still does get quite bad headaches especially later on in the day,i put that down to tiredness as hes one of those that dont listen to what his body is telling him and rest when hes tired!! hes trying to hard to get back to his "normal self",therefore the headaches hit him hard at night time. Also hes suffering quite badly with anxiety so that doesnt help the headaches very much. Hopefully it will get better with time,early days yet.

Hi Norma

I found at the beginning of recovery, as I was starting to do more during the day, then I would have a headache in the evening. It still happens, when I meet with friends for lunch, then I'll be headachey in the evening because of the chattering. I still get headaches in the morning but I find that's after I've been pysically active during the day, when I've done too much housework or my walk has been too far. But the headaches are not as severe as at the start and no where near as often.

I was light and noise sensitive for the first few months but it is much better now. Although sunglasses are a must in summer and actually thought about wearing them when we had the deep snow because it was too bright! I find the lights in the like of Tesco way too bright, yet I'm ok in Asda!

Like Karen said it seems to be worse when tired, so make sure you are still gettting lots of rest. It's still very early days for you but you are doing amazing for just 5 weeks.

Liz xx

Thanks everyone for the replies :-P

It's comforting to know it's a common to experience these things after a SAH. I have started doing little things around the house and been going out shopping. Although when I go out I have to sit down a lot and rest. maybe the lights in the shops are the problem. Liz I'll remember to stay away from tescos stores :redface:

Paris i understand how your partner feels I think i'm rushing myself into doing things also. Although i do stop when I know I'm tired. I think it is important to listen to your body.

Karen I will defo take your tip on elevating my head when I go to sleep.

Thanks again everyone for the info

Norma xx

Hi

I suffered with the light the minute my SAH hit they couldnt check my eyes because of the light i still have to wear my sunnies very light shade indoors most days although i do take them off as the daylight darkens but i always have to put them back on if the lights are bright i eventually have a bad head if i have them off for too long anyway i have my darker one for outside and the dreaded supermarkets..my neuro said if you have pain which i do just pop your sunnies on which i do:-D

Like Karen i have to take tablets before bed and my head is worse when tired or i have done too much and my Y shaped pillow is brilliant .

Anyway i hope that helps somehow you are really doing brilliantly well for 5 weeks well done you:-D

Take care

Love luck and laughter

Michelle C

Hi Norma

It is just 7wks today since my op and I have suffered with light both before the SAH and more so after; and noise is a problem too - too many different noises at once, or sudden or loud noise makes me jumpy.

I have had to put sunglasses on during the day when being driven in the car, or walking the dog.

I find too much of a contrast is worse for me - i would rather have all lights on rather than tv on and just one light or no light, as the contrast of dark and bright light is too much.

It has got a little bit better over the last couple of weeks though.

In the first few weeks after I was discharged I slept with 3 or 4 pillow propping me up a little as I found I got a headache whilst trying to get to sleep and upon waking in the morning - i think due to leaning back on my head too much. I still haven't got myself a v-pillow yet, but have read on here that they are really good! Must make a note for myself to get one! :)

I hope it starts easing for you soon

take care

Kel xx

Hi! I have the same issue with headaches. I am about 4 1/2 months out from my SAH. The head discomfort limits my ability to "sleep in" when I get the chance. I can deal during the day, but really bright lights, flickering images on TV, etc. really make me things worse. At night, the veil drops and the dull aches sets in. Over time, though, the pain is less, and feels much more dull. I get the occasional throb through an eye into my brain stem area, but it does become much more manageable.

I hope this helps a bit. It is hard to be patient, but you seem to be doing very well!

Best,

Noah