critical illness cover / subarachnoid haemorrhage

Guest croatiablade

I have had my claim cancelled be cause of the small print.............:mad5:

"Upon diagnosis of a cerebrovascular incident resulting in permanent neurological

damage".

Thats the crux of the matter, how can you prove permanent damage? Explaining that your head feel as though it is cotton wool, swimming in water does not wash with these insurers.

Have cancelled my policy, what a waste of money. Just take a look at some of the conditions for other illnesses. Like all insurance, what a scam...............

• 2 weeks later...

My policy said the same but they paid out because my consultant and doctor said that having coils proves it must be permanent because I wouldn't survive without them. I expected a massive battle but didn't really get one. It just took a while because the medical team pondered over it for ages.

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread I am now interested in making a claim. I had looked at it before but was put off by the 'permanent neurological damage' bit but you're right - without the permanent coils in there I wouldn't be here. I am a bit scared to make the call in case they ask me something which I answer wrong which may invalidate my claim!

I have a habit of saying the wrong thing and have paid dearly for it (e.g. my medical with Atos healthcare when they thought that I was capable to go back to work less than 8 weeks post SAH then had to appeal whilst brain was extremely foggy!).

Please could someone allay my fears and help me get started with my claim? Do I call them or e-mail them? Should I notify my consultant and GP that I am claiming? PS had SAH September 2010.

Hi there, I didnt do this however I do know what you mean about paying dearly for saying the wrong thing, so call or Email I'd opt for Emailing I find that calling I really get flustered then say the wrong thing.

However do you have a partner/husband or someone that can help you or fill the forms in for you, CAB is very good I hear....

Not much help but Im sure there be lots more saying much more about it. hey dont be put off yep without the stuff in our heads most of us wouldnt be here.....

take care

Diane,

I would get a claim form and fill it in, especially if you have problems talking to people. I'm the same. I had my SAH in July last year, but didn't think to make my insurance claim til March this year. I was able to download my claim form from my employers website, filled it in and faxed it back. I didn't have to speak to anyone on the phone, did it all through emails. They let me know a few days ago that it has been allowed and wanting my bank details so they can pay it. Just waiting for the money to go in so I can celebrate.

I didn't have to tell my gp or consultant, just signed a consent form saying the insurance people could contact them if they need to. I don't think they actually contacted them though. I sent in my hospital discharge letter with my claim form, and that spelled out what I'd had and how it was treated, which seems to be all they needed.

Hope you have a good response,

Take care

Tina

:-D

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I came about this thread whilst searching for information regarding critical illness cover.

My partner had an SAH last September, 3 aneurysms, 2 of which burst and were coiled, and the 3rd which is being monitored.

She spent 2 weeks in John Radcliffe hospital, where I cannot fault the care she had (after care has been non-existant, even our Dr has tried and failed to contact the consultant-I'll leave this for another time), and was released to come home and recover.

Anyway, as an afterthought once the shock had wained a bit, critical illness was remembered, applied for, and all forms filled out and sent back. We have had a recorded delivery letter received yesterday, informing us that there will be no payment due to "Diagnosis of a cerebrovascular incident resulting in permanent neurological damage. Transient Ischaemic Attacks are specifically excluded ".

Apparently according to the insures, it is not permanent, however if you try to take out a new policy, having had an SAH, you will not be covered if it happens again.

Sorry for going on, this has knocked us back yet again, just when we thought that things were starting to look good.

On the positive side, Karen is still here, improving everyday and has just started a phased return back to work, although she has trouble finding the right words sometimes (I notice her pause mid-sentence, although others don't), fatigue sets in quickly when she has been talking a lot and doesn't suffer fools anymore, well even less now!

Me? well I'm trying to be strong for us and the kids (good days,bad days but kept to myself as not to burden Karen). I'm glad I found this forum, reading other people's thoughts and fears, helps.

If anyone can give any advice, it would be gratefully received, as I'm not going to roll over and let the Insurance industry win this one. You never know, I may yet appear on watchdog.

Hi Ian,

I'd appeal if I were you. I got my insurers to pay out under the grounds that a SAH is a form of stroke. The fact that the coils are in my head permenantly and i would probably die if they weren't there was also part of my arguement.

Don't take it lying down!

Good luck

Tina:-D

Tina is right. I'm in Canada and the rules and regulations will differ but one thing that seems common is that we all get turned down the first time. I was so stressed out and in such disbelief when I was initially refused. Even my GP said 'do they think your brain scan is fraudulent?'. It was so bizarre. With much emotional support from this site, my GP, and my occ health dept I fought back. Just as my next step was going to a lawyer I was finally approved. I'm not getting my full wages for my non-worked time but at least I'm getting a portion.

I feel so badly for anyone who is going through recovery without financial support. To have any authority turn you down is also a blow because it invalidates what happened to you. Is invalidate a word? Keep fighting.

Sandi K.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Like so many others I cannot claim on my insurance, but I did find that I did have a premium waiver clause after 26wks so now I pay no more premiums till I go back to work. As Tesco says every little helps:-D so its worth checking all insurance policies for this.

Ron

• 7 months later...

I'm really fortunate as my insurance paid out (HSBC). I had the same policy wording as was mentioned earlier in the thread, but had no difficulty claiming as my consultant had supported the fact that I was permanently damaged (despite the fact that I have no mobility issues and am getting better).

I would definitely recommend that anyone who does think about claiming should do what another member (Paul?) recommended earlier in the thread. Don't play it down. Say it as it really is on a bad day. I particularly mentioned the memory issues I have and the fact that I am somewhat socially inept these days as a result of my SAH.

Good luck to anyone who is going to claim.

• 7 months later...

Hi all. Like a few people on here I've been trying to claim my critical illness since having my SAH in January. I feel as if I'm getting messed around by lv as they have sent our claim back to the reassurers (whatever they are). I just wish they would pay out without bringing out small print that they never point out when they sell you the policy for "piece of mind! " Has anyone on here dealt with LV before?

• 4 years later...

Hello, in January my wife, 36, suffered a SH. After a miraculous recovery we submitted a claim on our critical illness policy. I had already read the various posts on this thread and they were very useful, luckily our claim was paid out as I was prepared for it and left the correct paper trail. This may sound a bit business like, but the insurance company need a reason to pay you.

Firstly, log your SH as a Haemorrhagic stroke, which it is, some insurers don't pay out for a brain haemorrhage so word it correctly.

When your partner returns home, he/ she will have side effects, attend the doctors to get them logged (more than once) , the most important bit though is to keep ringing your consultants secretary to log the side effects on your partners case notes because eventually a report from the consultant will be asked for from the insurance company.

Another poster stated that your worst day is the one you describe, this is correct, just because you don't have all the side effects every day doesn't matter. For my wife I made sure on her case notes was, numbness, dizziness, taste problems, lethargy, vision problems all of which she has at some point in her recovery. It is so important to get this logged down. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1