Help and Advice Required

Guest haydnwilson

Guest haydnwilson

Hi Guys.

Just wondered if there are any exercise enthusiasts out there who have suffered from brain haemorrhage? I had a brain haemorrage two years ago while on a bike ride. I was aiming to complete a 100 mile cycle at the time as part of my training for the UK iron man!!! I was 20 mile into my cycle when i felt a pop in the back of my head. Being the crazy person I am I cycled home, later to finf I had suffered a haemorrhage. I had no operation as no anurism was detected and I never felt too bad during my two weeks in hospital. I have always been very fit, as exercise has always been part of my daily routine. I went back to work after 3 months, and picked up my full time responsibilities as a PE teacher in a secondary school. I expected to get back to my usual exercise habits very quickly!! Two years on I am finding life very challenging. I feel worse than ever at the moment. I am on half term holiday at the moment and a short walk is leaving me feeling totally exhausted. I feel as though I am dying from a serious illness!! I have been to the doctors and after extensive blood tests that came back clear he has referred me to the ME clinic. I would really like to hear from anyone who has suffered a haemorrhage who had previously been into heavy exercise. Can you share any experiences of your own recovery and route back to exercise and fitness that would be helpful. My whole life previously was built on the feel good factor that resulted from exercise and great physical well being. Mentally I feel fine, but physically I am the lowest I have ever been since my haemorrhage. I feel as though I have other serious related health issues because of my present physical condition. I find it so hard to rest up. Laying low doesn't suite me at all!!! I don't feel as though I will ever recover my old fitness levels and I am feeling very frustrated!!! I know I must sound a bit crazy, but this is the way I am. Thanks for any advice.

Love. Haydn

Hi Haydn

I was never a massive fitness freak, and my curves would prove that!

Sorry to hear you are feeling so low, I can imagine it must be torture for you after having been such a fitness fanatic. When your body doesn't seem willing or able to do what you want it to do, it is hard to come to terms with it.

I am nearly 6 months post-sah and have not as yet found the courage to go back to the gym. My GP and the neuroconsultants' assistant have told me I am ok to go back but I have felt so tired returning to work over the past 9-10 weeks, that I haven't as yet found the energy/courage/time to get back to the gym.

I had a short walk with my mum, sis and dog yesterday round a park then fell fast asleep when I got back for half an hour...which seems crazy to me. We only walked for about 15 minutes!

I do hope you manage to find out why you are feeling so ill right now, and you get some help to get back to some level of fitness at least.

Kel x

Hi Haydn and welcome. I'm sorry you are feeling so awful. I'm only 3 1/2 months post SAH so I keep getting told to "pace myself". As I haven't been that physically active for donkeys years I never saw myself as an active person, although I did hold down two jobs so I was always on the go. However I too am finding this enforced inactivity very hard to accept so I can only imagine how hard it must be for you.

I do hope the ME clinic can help. I feel in your case no one has taken into account your SAH. You might have gone back to work too early. I believe treatment for ME revolves around "a graded exercise programme" and cognitive behavioural therapy but don't quote me on that!

As a medical secretary I used to be quite dismissive of people with ME (not to their face I hasten to add!) and now I feel like oops, this is payback cos I feel so drained all the time! Good luck!!

Hi Hadyn and welcome, me too not into exercise, but many paople on this site does suffer from chronic fatigue, my wife is 14 months down the line and still has to have a two hour lay down every afternoon, if she does'nt she wiped out for the rest of the day and suffers for it again the next, hope you get your's sorted,Best wishes Rod

Hi Hadyn

Welcome to the family and to the site.

Pre SAH I jogged twice a week and did Step Aerobics twice a week - since my SAH I've not done any exercise other than low impact aerobics in my front room and swimming. I daren't do any high impact stuff cos of "brain vibration" and the headaches I'm left with after. I also used to tone up with weights, but now lifting anything heavy pulls on something and shoots a pain into my head. I'm thinking of joining the gym where my Dad works as he knows the instructor and can let him know whats happened.

There are a few on here who do go to the gym and Poppy's husband Dee had a SAH but still cycles, so they may be able to help.

Good luck and look forward to getting to know you

Hi Hadyn

Welcome to the site, I use to exercise before the SAH, it was part of my diet regime but after the SAH I get too tired to do anything, the only exercise I do is with my physiotherapist and it feels safe to that for me.

Hope to hear more from you when you are ready.

Hi Hadyn

Welcome to BTG. I was always "sporty" and played hockey up until I had my first child at 26. I then was always in the gym. But for about a year to a year and half before I had my SAH I didn't go because I was started to suffer from fatigue and headaches when I went. I think I was having very small bleeds then because my headaches were getting horrendous. I am not allowed ot go to the gym because of my blood pressure. My excersise now is walking and even some days that's a no go!

It's hard coming to terms with the changes in us post SAH. I like to think at some point I can get back to the gym but we'll see. There are members who still go to the gym and when they see your post I'm sure they'll share their experiences with you. But also we do recover at different time scales so lets hope that you keep improving and in time can get back into fitness.

Guest haydnwilson
Hi Haydn and welcome!

I haven't ever been in to fitness, so I can't help .... sorry! :wink: but, we've a few guy's on here that are or have been, so I'm sure that they will respond... xx

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I really appreciate it.

All the best.

Haydn. x

Guest haydnwilson

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting. I really appreciate that you cared enough to respond to the issues that I shared.

All the best.

Haydn. x

Hi Haydn

I was very fit before my SAH in fact people say it was because I was so fit that it saved me! I used to go to the gym 2/3 times a week. swim, spin and cycle. i was also planning a fund raising trip for Scope treking across the Sahara - I'm 54 now. I tried to go back to the gym but I didnt really have the motivation or the strength! I lost a lot of weight and muscle in hospital. My life has changed now - I still cycle a bit and walk, hopefully I may do more in the future - I want to but know that it is still one day at a time, today is my 2nd anniversary and I feel better every day! Take care Caroline

Hi Haydn

Welcome to the site. I have always done a certain amount of exercise not a fanatic by any means. I restarted slowly and the first type of exercise was using weighted machines which meant that I didn't have to exert myself too much.

I now manage between 2 and 4 gym sessions a week and have done for the past 18 months. My hubby just invested in a "Crosstrainer" for me so have been skipping the gym and using that instead. After 4 weeks am managing between 5-7km most days.

I always listen to my body when exercising as I suffer with constant nueropathic headpain and have done since the SAH. So if I start to feel dizzy or lightheaded I stop.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing more from you.