ESA medical

So about the ESA medical. What a joke! I understand why they want to do this, to weed out the scroungers (although why anyone would want to survive on benefits is beyond me!), but it makes it really hard on those really unwell people. At least I'm not too bad but even for me it was exhausting: Took us an hour to get there, then there was an hour's wait, then the nurse who was going to see me picked up my folder, took one look at it and said she couldn't see me because I'd had a stroke and I had to see the Dr. Guess what? There was only one dr and he had someone else ahead of me. I started crying and had to sit down; my partner said "look at her - this is what we are dealing with, it's too hard for her" etc. Anyway, we had to wait because no way was I going home only to come back another day.

Saw the dr for about 10 minutes after that two hour wait. He took a few notes, asked me if I could stand and hold my arms out, arms behind my head, bend down or crouch down (of course I couldn't do the bending/crouching bit). I think he said it was a long healing process, but I didn't take in half of what he said. My partner says he said something about politics and trying to find me something else if I can't be a medical secretary any more. I didn't say, but I think I should have, that I have a job waiting for me at the hospital. If I could work I would, but I can't.

Anyway, who knows what the answer will be. I did find this link to the points system for the medical, which is interesting and on reading it, it looks like I should get sufficient points.

I also saw my GP just now, and he has signed me off for a further 2 months. He said there is no way they can find me capable of working. Only time will tell eh?!

Oh and in my research I also found some information about appealing if you are turned down. Because your ESA stops if you are found capable of working, you put in an appeal and the money starts up again on the basic rate while you are waiting. Hopefully none of us will need to appeal, but who knows.... Download form gl24 here.

thanks for that JayKay......most informative.as we no it is not easy to claim after your own illness. yes to stop the professional scroungers i understand that. but when you are vulnerable after an illness is almost impossible too. when i was working in businnes i paid alot towatds taxation. funnily enough i kept a track of how much tax and insurance i paid. if i got it all back now id be living in the carribean and not worrying about bills. as i say we are all in the same boat. affter 16 years to 20 years paying tax think about it. if you paid a lwer rate of tax and insurance £5,000 per annum after 20 years £100,000 has gone towards the government. try to claim £50 per week assistance and it will be hard. if you are in your 50's as i am to pension day as it is 15 years.so you claim back £39,000 the government still keep £61,000. i was a higher tax rate at 40%.....now it would be 50%. after 20 years taxation £1,000,000 has gone so I should be in the carribean. try to claim back £39,000 and you'll have the same problems. the Inland and Customs Excise Revenue (HMRC....HidingMyRealCash)should be renamed Mafia Inc. but im not bitter.keep the money, spend it on roads, spend it on the Olympics im sure i wont be offered any free tickets for the celebrations. and at £100 tickets something tells me I wont attend any why......'cos i cant afford it!but like i said im not bitter! i cant work at the moment, tried to claim unemployment benefit. No.....not qualified. ESA.....nope surprise not qualified. but hang on i did qualify for DLA as im registered as disabled. £36 oer week =£1872 per annum after 3 years i have cost £5616so keep the £994,384 Mafia Inc. i cant sit in a seat at the olympics that i paid for....actually quite a few seats so i should invite some friends all at gratis.but im not bitter....AS I EXPLODE!

thanks JayKay thanks for your report and information. challenging isuues but i know they wont keep you quiet. you are our reporter on the pulse. which newspaper challenges issues for people....erm im struggling. and we all know it wont get any easier after the budget.They give us the Budget because we are the Budgies!

anywya y'all thats my twopence up.hopefully ill clean this up if i remember what i was doing before i started finnishing this.

as i calm down making social conversations....Anyone watching football today? Portugal-v- Brasil worth watching.........on Sunday England-v- Germany (but as Cecil always says dont mention the War) ill save my shilling for the meter when England are on.............but im not bitter!

thanks BTG (BehindThe Gray) and our new super hero BatmanTackledGovernment !

Hi Jen; take it easy for the rest of the day…you’ve endured a lot!

I have to tell you my story of returning as a medical secretary (although I once was a nurse!). It was probably six months following on from a sah, I bounced in pretending all was normal and well, trying to appear normal! What a massive mistake!! As soon as my bottom hit the seat, it was all systems go…answering phones, message playbacks, audio letters, phoning drs, making/changing appointments, etc. As the first day wore on I felt I was mentally wading through treacle, later becoming concrete; my brain was so fatigued it stopped working! By the third day I couldn’t even get out of bed, never mind attempt to get to work! It was crucifying and mortifying. I think there’s nothing more mentally taxing than having to multi task and juggle! Instead, I moved down a gear and became a childminder for a while, exercising like crazy to regain stamina and physical strength. In Scandinavian countries they take this approach to rehabilitating stroke victims (I speak from personal experience!). They set them rigorous physical exercises in gyms and rehabilitating them mentally, psychologically and physically before discharging them. We are so behind on this, it makes my blood boil!! Our energies, mental and coping abilities are finite at the beginning and you must do all you can to get physically and mentally fit and reserve and replenish when you can – find a balance!

Just thought I would present a glimpse of what it was like for me in my first year!

Love

Anya xx

LOL Blueday - you made me smile. I'm not bitter either :D I'm surprised you didn't qualify for ESA??? I can't understand why! Are you sure? Did you try and appeal? Oh and where are you in SE London? My partner comes from Lewisham/Catford.... and now he's here with me in NE London ha ha!

Anya - that's very interesting! Yes, you described my job to a T. I am just about coming round to the idea that actually I'm not able to do what I could. I could multitask with the best of them, I was told I was "very sharp witted", was asked by Jr Doctors if I ever thought about becoming a doctor (answer = er no thanks!!!). Anyway, we are going through this with the neuropsychologist and it's very helpful. I totally thought I'd be back at work after a few weeks. Ha Ha HAAAA!

I'm trying to use this time to relax and mend myself, and try and build up stamina. Mentally, I'm proofreading a Spanish friend's translations into English, which is taxing my neurones lol. It's my therapy. I would actually like to become a photographer and keep meaning to chat up some mums I know to build up my portfolio before I start charging. You can see some of my pics here , scroll down for the best ones.

Anyway, keep the faith everyone!

Hi Jen,

Hey .. poor wee blueday.. Lets get him to start a campaign on our behalf. Bet he'd get results ASAP! :lol:

I recently lost my entitlement to ESA.:frown:. Think it was cos their rotten wee nurse knew nothing about brain injury. She was too busy asking if I could watch corrie. and HOW LONG EACH DAY! She was determined I should give timescales on how long I could spend on computers, TV and sudokus. I got 6 whole points for being half blind and nothing else. I would think it's way too early for them to try that with you and I sent my appeal in the same day. Then I got a letter saying it needs to go to a tribunal. October is the earliest it will be heard. My poor wee hubby will just need to keep forking out till then I guess.( I hate the"'kept woman" feeling. ) My appeal letter was mega sized and will I get tore in on the day? you bet I will!!

Hope you don't have to deal with this so soon after your op. Good Luck and keep us updated.

Sally x

Hi there

I went for the medical once it was a joke but I got the payments so:roll: & yes if they refuse just appeal and they seem to give it within a few days - maybe thats a ruse to see if people will appeal...

its a worry as the new goverment is going to overhaul all this too but for me I'll just have to wait & see,

hope you get it also hoping that your ok

Hi Jen,

Hey .. poor wee blueday.. Lets get him to start a campaign on our behalf. Bet he'd get results ASAP! :lol:

I recently lost my entitlement to ESA.:frown:. Think it was cos their rotten wee nurse knew nothing about brain injury. She was too busy asking if I could watch corrie. and HOW LONG EACH DAY! She was determined I should give timescales on how long I could spend on computers, TV and sudokus. I got 6 whole points for being half blind and nothing else. I would think it's way too early for them to try that with you and I sent my appeal in the same day. Then I got a letter saying it needs to go to a tribunal. October is the earliest it will be heard. My poor wee hubby will just need to keep forking out till then I guess.( I hate the"'kept woman" feeling. ) My appeal letter was mega sized and will I get tore in on the day? you bet I will!!

Hope you don't have to deal with this so soon after your op. Good Luck and keep us updated.

Sally x

Isn't it awful?? I think when asked what I did all day (a typical question it seems), I think I said um I read a bit, and I sleep....!!

If you appeal you should get the ESA reinstated while the appeal goes through, that's what I've heard from someone who is a Pathways to Work person.... GOOD LUCK!

OMG I got ZERO POINTS! The doctor blatantly disregarded everything I told him about getting confused, upset, angry etc. He said I could sit and stand for more than 30 minutes although my maximum is 10. I'm so upset I'm crying now even though I knew this was a possibility. It's just a feeling of shock that I now have to appeal. My GP even said "there's no way they'll find you fit for work". It just goes to show what a farce this whole thing is.

I have to go and download the correct form now. Wish me luck.

:redface:Jen the piccy's are wonderfull,oh how i wish i could take good pictures!Don't get upset re the silly nonsense from the medical,I was told 99% fail it and am quite sure that your neurophyscologist will write on your behalf. When I had my medical the doctor kept yawning,poor thing was probably up all night on shift and doing this for extra cash,he didn't show the least bit interest! Big hug Maggiex

Hello to all my fellow SAH survivors,

I was so relieved to read your experiences of ESA medical assessments. I had my SAH in September last year and was receiving full pay until March from my job.

I worked full time as a learning support assistant before my SAH and am still not well enough to cope in a classroom full of noisy 8 year olds!

I have poor sight in my left eye and struggle with noise, fatigue and memory problems. My employers have been great and suggested a phased return from September, just a few hours. This was put on hold when I found out I need to have more coils put in soon. Occupational health said they would not allow me back before I was over that and all is going well.

I then received an work based interview at the local job centre (mandatory for everyone applying for ESA) the interviewer was an ex nurse who said ESA does not take into consideration people who have a job to go back to and that in her opinion I should not have to go through this.

I then had to get my sister to drive me to the medical assessment a week later (over an hours journey) The Dr informed my sister she couldnt speak! I told her I remembered nothing of the SAH or the time in intensive care and I might need reminding. She said I would just need to do my best!

I don't know the outcome, but what I do know is going through this is very upsetting and I feel a fraud. I know im not but it is so clear how little is understood about SAH and recovery from it.

Lots of love to you all Steph x

OMG Steph - you are no fraud!! I can't believe they told you your sister wouldn't be able to speak, what an absolute farce the whole thing is!!

My psychologist today told me that what I'm going through is text book. Any brain trauma, let alone brain surgery and six weeks in hospital, leaves a person weak and fatigued, as well as the other cognitive problems it presents. She could not believe that I got refused ESA, nor could my GP! They say going back to soon is just going to be counter productive and set my recovery back. They will be doing reports for me, but hopefully the appeal itself will be enough. Good luck for your ESA result!

I think that ex-nurse you spoke to was right - people who have jobs to go back to (like both of us) should not have to go through the medical. Even the lady who I saw on my Pathways to Work interview said they'd probably go on what we've sent them and that I shouldn't need a medical....! I think we should get a petition together. In fact, I'm going to look into it now. I know there's a website where you can do this.... I'll keep you posted.

Maggie - thank you for the compliments. I do love my photography :)

:redface:Hi Steph don't let them get to you no way are you a fraud. Your health is far to important! A friend came with me and was told not to speak also. It all seems so cold especially after what we have been through. Hugs Maggiex

Well I'm glad he didn't try and tell my partner not to speak - he'd have given him what for!!

I checked out the e-petition thing, it's on the No. 10 website but guess what? All petitions are put on hold until the new government "sort out" the petition bit of the website "later in the year". Harumph!

Talked to my partner at lunchtime - he says the doctor didn't tell him he couldn't talk, but it was obvious by his manner.... :(

I've got the complaints form from Atos Healthcare so that, separate from my appeal, I can complain that the doctor blatantly disregarded things I told him. Must also remember to do that letter to our MP as told to by the Stroke Association - he'll get both barrels, from me AND the Stroke Assoc!

The only bit of good news is that there was £44 of my ESA outstanding and they've paid it today.....

Hi

I have read your messages and it drives me nuts. I can stand for 30 mins, sit for ages and talk well sometimes. Other days I sleep all day, take analgesia, get horrific mood swings and struggle to find words sometimes.

I cannot give them any consistent information about me as my condition changes every few days.

They drive me nuts as Glasgow has a very high level of people on benefits they judge us the same. I wish I could work as the £568 per month I get does not meet the minimum wage.