Channel4.com

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsit ... brain.html

Just been searching for some info on brain injury and the above site looks pretty good with brain injury site links.

coping with brain injury

by Jamie Dibdin, with advice from Anne Hunter *

coping with brain injury | help and info

Brain injury can affect a person's physical abilities, their speech and other cognitive functions, their behaviour, emotions and the way they interact with other people. Their hearing and tolerance of noise may also be affected.

Image from Put Me Back Together

© channel 4

The head injured person may make a good physical recovery and look really well while being quite heavily disabled and injured. In fact, often people who have had a brain injury may say that they wish that they did have some physical sign that they have a disability.

It is often the more subtle changes to a person's personality that can be the hardest for the family and friends to cope with.

Hi Sami,

It does, doesn't it! Thought of you when I was "cutting and pasting".... it sums it up for me ..... I still feel like wearing that ****** great big crepe bandage wrapped around my head fastened with a mega nappy pin! ...will I ever get over it??? :lol

Love K x

Hi

I don't think we'll get over it until people realise that this kind of injury isn't visible. I'm lucky in the respect of Paul knows by looking at my face what mood I'm in and he's been great through all of this. My close friends are constantly making sure I'm OK when we're out and if I look anxious or worried they make sure they're next to me (not that that happens very much theses days) - but others who don't know me well but know what has happened just see me as someone who is lucky to be alive under the circumstances! Charming!!!!

Anyway away to do some work.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Hi Sami,

This is a "bitter - sweet" experience for me......sometimes, I feel like saying "walk a mile in my shoes" etc......then come back to me......to those people that can't understand what it's like to live and breathe this......especially those that think we're lucky!! Lucky to survive may be, but it's a ****** hard road to travel and I would swap, any day for the life that I had!

Still, looking forward to the day when I feel grateful for this experience...according to Alison Wertheimer, the author, one day I will be....that day still hasn't dawned.......not sure if it ever will....

Love and hugs K xxx

Hey there K

Me neither - I can't say that I'll ever be in the frame of mind to say that I am grateful to this thing that almost killed me and that I now have attached to my brain for the rest of my life. How I am supposed to be grateful for something that has stopped me being the basically carefree, healthy woman I once was? I can't run around with Siobhan like I used to and I can't exercise with my friends like I used to - why should I be grateful?

Who knows, maybe one day when I'm least expecting it I'll thank whoever it was responsible for this - but the way I feel at the moment I doubt it!!!

Away home now, catch you tomorrow

TTFN

Sami xxxx

Hi Sami,

Think that I can honestly say that what I've written has been "honest"....I've never wanted to come across as being gloomy, because that isn't me....but trying to make out as .... I've "roses around my door" also isn't me. otherwise I woudn't have started this site....it doesn't mean to say that I'm bitter, as I'm not, just a realist......I know what I have to face....but there's been many times that I wish I didn't have to.

Love and hugs to all,

K xx

Thats it in a nutshell, I've downloaded it with the aim of showing my friends although knowing me I won't. Talking of friends one I haven't seen since Bank Holiday Monday and the other once since the New Year, I used to see them at least 2 or 3 times a week, possibly I do take over the conversation or am boring but yes I did survive against all odds and I am ****** well proud of it so what you see is what you get. I am really glad I read it it makes me feel that I am not alone and it also makes you appreciate what your partner has to go through.

Good I have got that off my chest now I can go out full of the joys of Spring.

Cheers have a good day

John :lol::lol: