Did anyone smoke?

Hi there

I smoked about 15 years ago, 15 to 20 cigarettes a day and I also smoked cigars until I had a stroke at 42 years old, I am now 58 years. The consultant told me then if I continued to smoke I would die that was enough and I packed it in. Fifteen years after packing it in I had an SAH but they still asked me if I smoked when I said no they still wanted to know if I had smoked in the past.

I now hate being in the presence of smokers, can't stand the smell and am looking forward to the ban in two months. They say that ex smokers are the worst and we probably are but when you are actually told of the risks after having a stroke by a consultant it makes you stand up and think.

Best thing I ever did although many will say "Well you still had a brain haemorrhage,"my reply "Yes but I'm still here it may have been all so different if I was still smoking," so my advice is PACK IT IN, life is so precious as we all know.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I smoked about 20 a day since about 15 years old, I was 38 when I had SAH and I stopped immediately. I have completely stopped and would never consider smoking again. It is like being set free from a trap. Up here in Scotland we have had the ban for almost a year now which makes it alot easier not to smoke. The ban is one of the best decisions the politicians up here have ever made. It is very anti social now to smoke, it is more or less confined to your own home or out in the street. I feel alot better for not smoking, no coughing and spluttering and I feel more laid back, not so stressed, giving up is the best thing I ever did.

Tracey

Hi there

I smoked 15-20 a day since about 18 (so for 30 years) apart from when pregnant with both children. Don't know why I started again after pregnancies, but I did.

Anyway had my last cigarette the night before my haemorrhage - not intentionally, just that I had the SAH first thing in the morning and hadn't lit up first! Being in hospital and relatively comatose for 10 days meant that I wasn't in a position to miss it and then, when surgeon said smoking was a major factor, well that was that. Also, due to other circumstances, we're currently living with my dad who doesn't smoke so that kind of makes it easier.

Sarah x

Smoked since I was a teenager, gave up several times, averaged 8-10 a day (but also could go for weeks without as I was a secret smoker, eg, didn't smoke in front of my partner) but also could up it to 20 under pressure. I regret every single one. Smoke free, hooray, but I still miss the damn things from time to time.

Joan

I smoked from when I was a teenager too. I was also a secret smoker, same as you. I could also go for long periods without ciggies at home, on holiday etc. but as soon as I got to work I would be gasping for one. I gave up when I had SAH, but I still have the odd lapse when I'm stressed.

Regards

Keith

keith -- looking at the various ways we have spoken about our personalities and some of our good/bad habits, it is interesting that there are so many points in common. Sorry to ask you something you've probably covered on another posting, but when did you have your SAH? How soon after that did you find the nictoine rearing its siren call? Am wondering if, after a time, the old habits re-emerge and try to reclaim their stake on you....

Cheers J

Hey Keith

Me too - and this week has been stressful. My neuro guy told me that it would increase my chances from 1% to 3% of it happening again if i carried on smoking - yet some others have been told under no circumstances are they to smoke!!! Wonder if its different if you've had an aneurysm rather than a burst artery?

Away for coffee (de caff) and proof reading

Roll on six o clock so i can go to the pub!!!

Sami xxx

Hi

Joan, I had my SAH at the end of August last year. The first real cravings I had were when I returned to work 3.5 months post SAH. It's not as if everyone at work smokes - most don't. Having the office back door directly behind my desk doesn't help either. I think that I am so used to smoking in certain environments (at work) that it's all in the mind. As I said, I can go for weeks without wanting a smoke if I'm in the right environment, ie. at home. Maybe I should give up work and stay at home!

Regards

Keith

Dear Keith -- Thank you, because I think that you just answered something that has been bothering me. Since I have been home from hospital, I have avoided working in or even going into my home office (ah, the joys of the laptop) where, of course, our dormer windows provided a perfect smoke vent and many happy hours of solitary sinning. Maybe, subconsciously, I am staying away as I know it is associated with The Habit?

In any event, Keith, am sure you have the right perspective on the situation. As I said in another posting, there is little now that frightens me anymore. Having been told you were one of a handful of people to have survivef (had a particularly bad SAH) has given me a different take on things.

Also, as other posters said, the fact that smoking is taken on slightly less seriously than Murder One in terms of social accepability just makes it all so much easier to forget one did...

Have a wonderful weekend. Jxx

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I smoked from my teens (now 56) up untill 1988, stopped for 7 years (had also had half hearted attempts before to stop)

Then in 1995 my husband had a major heart attack, I started again, through stress I suppose, carried on smoking till December 31st 2006 (day of SAH) Had one cig. before it happened and haven't had one since.

I was smoking between 15 and 20 a day, (dependant on stress levels!)

I now can't stand even the smell of smoking, my youngest son Matt has also stopped completely, my husband has cut down by at least half and my eldest son Rich has also cut down drastically, which is great, no-one smokes in the house anymore, my husband made that decision while I was still in hospital So now they smoke outside.

Hope I never want to smoke again!!!

love Suexx

Amen, Sue. I found a pack of fags hidden away in a drawer and had the greatest pleasure in pitching them. Hope I never, ever am tempted because it is the greatest feeling in the world to be free of an addiction.

All the best, Joanxx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dirtypunk1970

Yes, I smoked and........erm..........I still am..........It's so hard, because I get stressy so fast and I've started kicking off more than usual over the stupidest things, like getting the duvet cover on (!) I really lost my rag over that one.

Hi,

I think the more stressed you get about not stopping smoking the harder its gonna be,have you tried patches or any of the other things on offer? your doc should be able to suggest something.

Don't worry either about losin it more than before! Think that happens to most of us. I can't handle half a much stuff as before and what would have been the easiest thing pre SAH suddenly has me in floods of tears now. Hopefully it will pass!!

love Suexx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wendy

I started smoking at 11, obviously very young wanted to be the inn crowd, went on to end up smoking 40+ Day by the time i hit 30, right up till my SAH nearly 6wks ago. I cant stand the smell from them anymore, although i do sometimes think of having one but i wont cause im too scared il be hooked again. im 35 now and im finally mature enough to realise ciggys wasnt the inn thing as a child smelling fresh with money in your pocket sounds much better. My husband still smokes in the house for now but only cause i know i need that smell to put me off goodluck to everyone Regards Wendy x