memory

waterball

I cannot remember whether i have posted this before, lol.

How bad can someones memory be? My hubby had his NASAH 09 and his memory i just don't know what to say.

He went to London March 10 then he went again Nov 10 but could not remember going in March and the photos he took he vaguely remembers. He cannot recall films he has been to see it is so so hard.

dix:confused5:

Hi Di

I think we all differ with what we remember I'm over 4 years on now and my memory is still fairly bad some things I can remember other things people will say remember this or that and I haven't got a clue what they're going on about. Memos and post its are a way of life now...... when I remember :lol:

an example it was our Silver Wedding last May (2010) & now I dont recall it at all only when I look at pictures....for me this is the same with most things, I hate it, but more so for my husband for me this is something thats been the hardest to come to terms with - if I have.....

Edited by Louise

I also have some memory issues. Mostly short term, but I don't remember the Christmas before my SAH in Jan.! If it's not pertinent to me, I seem to forget things. My daughter is good at reminding me and somehow helps to jog my memory. I have trouble with finding the right words - I know in my head what I mean to say, just can't get it out at times. Hopefully things will improve with time for your hubby! Hang in there sweetie and come to BTG for more support. That's what we're here for:-D

Carolyn

Hi, it is hard, my wife is always reminding me of things, his memory will improve over time, my wife bought me alot of note pads and sticky notes, with out them i would be lost!!!!!! If i don't write things down i just don't remember or if i did is 2 weeks after fact, like a doctors appt Keep up the support, it is great you found us, take care chris

Edited by chris2010

Hi i took Merrill my wife to Yorkshire for a week last year and the day after getting back she could not remember having gone that was 15 months after her ash and even now things are not much better if she watches the telly by the end of what ever we are watching she usually cannot remember the beginning,and when she rings her mother in the evening she has to ask me what we have done that day Best wishes Rod

Poor you (and him!)... My short-term memory is pretty bad and this has led to some tension with my partner. He gets frustrated with me, but although I do sometimes get frustrated, most of the time I suppose I'm oblivious lol!

I have found ways around it: I use the calendar in my phone for EVERYTHING because then I can put reminders in so it beeps. I use a white board, as per the OT's suggestion. I also kept a diary earlier on in my recovery, and I blog which has been very therapeutic. I do find that if I write something down I tend to remember it more. I still do have moments where I put something on the stove, turn away and completely forget about it, but I try and concentrate and only do one thing at once, and that has helped A LOT. I have also done quite a lot of Sudoku and word search puzzles to try and "exercise" my brain, which I think has helped too.

I don't think anyone can predict how your hubby's memory will progress, but I am wishing him all the best.

Hello Di,

My short term and mid term memory have been affected by my SAH and yesterday I was at the National neurological hospital in London. The doctor there told me that if I had said my SAH was twenty years ago she would tell me that it won't get any better, but three and a half years is not long in terms of brain recovery and my memory should slowly improve. So maybe your hubby needs a bit more time :)

She also said, doing soduko, word games etc would help. Also when meeting somebody new, to keep saying their name in my head to try and make it stick!

Hope this helps

Vivien

My short term memory is also very bad. Like others I have to write everything down and use a calender and post it notes.

When cooking I use timers, that's if I remember to set them.

I have found that to do things by routine helps, if I vary from the routine I forget.

I have also found that repeating things over and over again helps, for example if I want to tell somebody something I repeat it over and over to myself until I have delivered the message.